Free casting on foot

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Free casting on foot

Postby Tanner Peyton » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:42 pm

I guess I probably already know the answer to this but I was wondering how many of you guys free cast for coyote on foot? I picture this being very difficult because the Coyote can cover a great distance in a short amount of time in one direction. And I'm really way too out of shape to be keeping up with dogs anymore. But I was wondering if there's any of you young men out there who are track stars and free cast for coyote on foot? If so I would like to hear about it, the good and the bad.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Free casting on foot

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:53 pm

Tanner, I'm not trying to be a smartass, but have you ever seen a coyote race? It doesn't stay in one place very long. Nobody is in good enough shape to stay up with a full fledged race once the hounds get one rollin'. Those old men down where I come from would get the hounds started and then build a fire and listen to the race all night while they drank homemade whiskey and told tall tales. The guys who were actually interested in harvesting the coyote would do their best to try and get in front of the race and be ready to ambush the prey as he crossed the road. To do that would usually take some coordination with hunters in other vehicles and lost of back&forth on the cb's.

I'm not saying it is completely impossible to stay up with the race once it gets to going, but it would be one helluva man who is in good enough condition to actually do it. I would be interested to hear the opinions of others who are alot more knowledgeable than me though.

Tex
=2
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:11 am

Haha, well Tex I haven't seen one. I'm not saying keep up with the race step for step that would be impossible. More rather be there in a timely fashion once your dogs catch. Generally speaking, most critters don't flat out run straight away but I heard coyotes will. I heard a coyote race can go 20 plus miles in one direction. But I have very limited experience on everything but coons and very slow dogs.

There was a time not so long ago that I could flat out run 7 miles in under an hour. And three summers ago I put on 29 gps miles in the big horns in one day while carrying 60 pounds of gear. Now takeing into account I'm just your average fella, you take one of them super athlete types and give him a Garmin he might make a decent go of it.

Again, I have no clue about coyote races, and a good dog on a good race could probably do 70 to 90 miles in one day. I'm just a novice who only has access to walk in and a appetite for knowledge.

Happy hunting
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:53 am

Tanner, I wasn't trying to be a smartalec or disparaging. In the old days, especially in ranch country, they would have their coyote hunts with the hunters riding horses. Usually they were stout and long winded horses, at that. If I wasn't so invested in the direction I am going with my hounds, I would probably be following a good pack of coyote hounds. If I were to let ranchers around here know I had a solid pack of coyote hounds that ran to catch, I would probably never run out of land to hunt. If you have time, start looking up some of those stories about the old-time hunters and their pursuit of "prairie wolves".

Tex
=2
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:51 am

Usually have a circle or two inside a mile from jump, depending on how much cover.lucky yote that dodged the lead will then try to get gone. Males traveling during breed season will try to get home, 10 to 20 miles if road crew don't end it.when tracks are covered in the morning free cast on foot can be over first loop or off the Garmin in 10 min. Have also seen 2 plus hours circling in half mile of pines and brush so thick you couldn't drive a spear through

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Lol, Tex I take no offense I'm just wondering is all. I would agree with you about your area. I lived in Newcastle for awhile and got a chance to meet some of the local ranchers, they hate hate hate coyotes and would almost pay a fella to come thin a few out. But anyhow the only reason I ask is because of the area I used to hunt. It was all walk in only and most likly to rough for a horse. But more then any other I would see coyote tracks. I guess I attribute all the coyotes to outlawing footholds and snares. I remember thinking how would a fella would go about getting dogs on a coyote and then how would he go about getting his dogs rounded up, haha.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:31 pm

If I free cast its from the road . I am talking bear or loin and I have hunted yotes In the Midwest . but to me free casting is letting the dogs go hunt . most of the time one or two that I trust and I just let them go till they hit a track or come back . it could be a Mile and half deep . if you have dogs that do that You don't have to try and do it on foot . just much easier and makes more sense imo . also I have had bear races that far out do a coyote race .
Hunt hard cull hard !
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:53 am

I ve run them on horse back and its not a very long race. A horse will put you on top of them quick in open country. It wouldn't work in brush or ruff country. But horses can handle more varied terrain then a pick up. Mostly the dogs just helped find them then you sight race them off horseback. I also hunted with staghounds off horseback but that's a different game. The dogs have to be babied until the jump and kept off rabbits. To stay fresh and it was normally a one maybe two race day. Fences are the big hassle with hunting off horseback. On foot a slow slow type dog would probably be a better choice because coyotes only run as hard as they have to a slow dog would probably get them circling close enough to sneak a shot in .
jacobklein2008

Postby jacobklein2008 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:41 pm

I do it from time to time with beagles. We've had chases go as long as 7 hours never leaving a half mile radius, but it had alot to do with the fact that the cover was thick and that particular coyote had probably been run before by those same dogs and knew they couldn't catch him.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:57 pm

It was always my experience, the faster the dogs were the further out the coyote race went.

Tex
=2
beaglewalkerhunter4
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby beaglewalkerhunter4 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:53 am

Mr Peyton, after bear season here in the western carolina mountains I do a good amount of coyote chasing, that is if we cant find a bobcat track! And I do say coyote chasing for a reason. Unless there is more than 4-5 inches of snow on the ground, which is pretty rare down here, it's tough for a man to free-cast and keep up with a male coyote on foot.

From my experience a female won't leave the country like a male will right off the bat. Most days I will walk a trail I've seen coyote and or bobcat sign and just turn the dogs loose, as they range about 150 yards and come check in. Generally speaking I will get a small circle and a lager one before they beeline (usually a male) now a female will usually give me at least three circles before she lines out.

I've marked the spots that the coyotes have crossed before when I've ran them on my garmin and if I see them heading in that direction I haul ass for what usually is a low gap in the mountain or a creek bed.

As far as physical condition Im 22 years old and had fun with with college ball before too many knocks to the head. Personally speaking, I think it's more difficult to keep up with a bear race because a coyote will usually circle and you can bust tail to get ahead and maybe just maybe get a glimps of him and if you're lucky a shot. Once they give me a few circles and I see them start to line out, I'll head to the truck and try and cut them off on a forest road. Where as a bear you may find yourself walking all day.

I never thought I would let my dogs run a coyote. But after a few races I realized heck I was having fun, I got to listen to a good race, develop my young packs tracking ability and build up some endurance. And if they leave a cold bear track every now and then to go after a fresh yote then oh well. Better than them sitting on the chain from January until August.
Hike in, tie em back, hike out.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:44 am

Good information fellas, good information.... Speaking of long winded horses, I cant help but think about the pony express. There's a museum dedicated to the people and animals of that entity in the next town over from where I grew up. The pony express trail also runs right next to my home town and the signs to commemorate it are all over. I often wonder what it was like back in them days.

Anyhow, I have a story that everyone is going to call BS on but I don't care, it was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. But again, speaking of good horses, My pal and I were out one day pushing the cows closer to home for calving season when we jumped a coyote. Now to this day I couldn't even rope the very horses head that I was riding but my pal was real handy. Not Kidding, call me a liar if you want but he ran that coyote down on horse back and roped it. It was amazing, crazy, and one of coolest things ever.

Back to the conversation, I guess what makes me think this is possible but not likely is the marathon runners. The top notch runners do 26 miles in two and a half hours, the long distance super athletes. That's and average of 11 plus mile per hour. Holy crap!!!!!! So if its a short two hour race, and stays with in 25 miles, and the fella is a marathon runner from Kenya with a Garmin it could happen, hahahaha.

I like your take on all this Mr. beaglewalkerhunter4. Just reading what you write it seams as though you and I have almost the exact same styles of hunting. And there was a time when I was kind of a fierce college wrestler, just kidding, I wasn't any good on the college level but I did actually wrestle in college. So I know a thing or two about stamina, or I used to anyhow. LOL. But yeah I cant imagine a better critter to run around here then the coyote. Lots of ummm and plenty of challenge. But I think I'm still stuck on the idea of bobcats for now. Hahaha, and I don't even own a dog. Some day I'll have a few, and God willing they'll be good ones as well. Anyhow, I just wanted to see if anybody out there was having any success chasing hounds that were chasing coyotes. I know when I first started, I had a heck of a time keeping up with dogs trashing on deer. Till I figured out them whitetails make a big circle and I could head umm off.

Thanks and happy hunting Men
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 am

I believe you tanner I have seen 2 coyotes be roped . also witnessed an antelope get roped . the antelope was being Chased by some cow dogs and it circled back to us and my uncle made a go at it And got it done .
Hunt hard cull hard !
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:24 am

I believe the coyote story. Waaaaaaaaaay back when I was ALOT more lithe and agile and could really stick in the saddle, I just about had one caught. I was just a tad late on jerking the slack and he ducked right through the loop. I've seen a deer get roped , which was one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. The roping part was easy, watching him get his rope back was the hilarious.

Tanner, ever since you started this thread I have been thinking about putting together a small pack of coyote hounds. It would sure be fun to follow a good pack on horses.

Tex
=2
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:33 pm

I wonder how fast the marathon runners could run that 26 miles in terrain a coyote would be running in? I have never hunted coyotes with dogs but have had more than my share of coyote races and i dont know what your country is like but i couldnt even stay in a good coyote race with a pickup and alot of roads.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”