Looking for anyone who uses beagles for coyote

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Looking for anyone who uses beagles for coyote

Postby hillbilly boy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Ok here and there I have found a few stories about people using beagles for coyote the few questions that pops in my head is i don't doubt that they would go after one but how the dogs are not cut up or killed ever I know people say that a coyote will run from a pack of dogs but I know coyotes have killed dogs for food so my thoughts are when one decides to to turn around and fight I am just wondering I mine I could be totally wrong and it is ok so anyone wants to put some information in
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Looking for anyone who uses beagles for coyote

Postby david » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:43 am

HB, I know of some guys in Ohio who kill dozens of coyotes each winter with beagles. In my limited experience, coyotes are more likely to refuse to run when they are concerned about their pups. This does not include winter.

I have some pretty cool video of coyotes that refused to run. But it is spring and early summer. And my hounds are big and have long legs, lol.

These guys set up at likely crossings and shoot the moving coyotes out ahead of the dogs. The beagle job description does not include fighting the coyote, as I understand it.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:29 am

That is what I have heard that some kill pretty good numbers with them I did not know they are more likely to run if they don't have their pup with them that might be a big part of it if you know guys that do it do you know why they use beagles instead of the big hounds also do you know if they use special blood line or any line of beagles
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:39 am

Everyone with their own line of dogs keeps them because they like them. These men have their dogs, but I can't see why most lines would not work. It is a matter of training them what to run and what not to run. They use snow, and put the dogs on tracks that don't come out of a section. I can see where the larger beagles might get through snow better.

They probably used beagles because they had them, at first. But they have discovered the advantages of letting the coyote feel bored and not threatened by the realatively slow aproach of the beagles. The coyote is not necesarily feeling the need to run full speed, which gives more time to get in position and makes it an easier shot.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:51 am

Also, they hunt in groups with several trucks, so they can cover all the likely crossings.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:37 am

Makes sense would you happen to know what kind of numbers they use I have heard at least 3 or 4
jacobklein2008

Postby jacobklein2008 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 am

I hunt coyotes and fox with beagles and it's just like David already said. The races stay in a much smaller area and the coyotes circle back through the same spots over and over. If you're looking for some pups I will have a few out of a good proven cross next summer.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:03 am

Ok it cool to find someone who has done it so have you ever had any problems with dogs getting hurt really bad or killed I have heard of a few times of them baying coyote up I would think that would be the most dangerous time also do you have a set number of dogs you turn loss or is it just how ever many you have at the time
jacobklein2008

Postby jacobklein2008 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:45 am

I have never had the coyote turn on the dogs. They are always trying to get away from them. But I do not run if the coyotes are getting close to having pups.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”