Good ways too train a pup

Talk about Coon Hunting
Michiganhoundsman
Facebook ID: 0

Good ways too train a pup

Postby Michiganhoundsman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:31 am

I have a bluetick pup that I could use some advice on how to train too track and tree a coon any help would be great
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Good ways too train a pup

Postby david » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Click on the words "hound books" at the top of this page. Then buy the first two on the list. Walk With Wick vol.I
Walk With Wick vol. 2

They are mandatory.

If you don't like to read, find a child who needs the practice and attention and have them read it to you.

Required reading.

While you are waiting for the books to come, just do things that stimulate the puppies mind. Let it see something new each time. Let it see new people and animals like livestock. Set up little challenges for it to overcome, like getting through a fence in order to get to his food. Etc.

http://m.dusupply.com/item/31303231?ori ... cations%2F
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:12 pm

Long walks in the woods go along way in helping out. The more time spent building a relationship the easier it is for your dog to understand you and know when you approve or not. It makes training smoother and more effective
oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oneguy828 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:52 pm

To go along with peg leg I would add making it feel comfortable in the environment it will hunt in. (Long walks in the woods) will help the pup feel more comfortable when it comes time to fire. I see a lot of people never leave home with a dog except to hunt and I think this cripples a lot of young dogs. Especially when you drop them at night in an environment they have never been in. Also, set realistic expectations. Its a long term investment.
oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oneguy828 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:54 pm

The walk with wick books are absolutely worth every penny too. If for nothing else but to stimulate your mind and begin a thought process of training dogs.
Ronnie H

Postby Ronnie H » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:06 am

I have the first Walk with Wick book it's good but after you read it those walks in the woods help form a bond with your pup. As for as training goes If it's a small pup say 8 or 9 weeks old I will use a coon tail and a set of feet tied to the tail and the chase is on. Don't overdo anything keep it fun and short until they are older. Good luck
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:34 pm

I started all my coon dogs using corn feeders, and you can see pretty quick if they will make it. I put corn out in 4-5 spots about a mile apart. Start taking the pup when he is 8 months or older by his self. Just you and him. That way there is no interference with another person or other dog. Young dogs won't focus when another dog or stranger is around. Turn the dog out and walk him to the feeder as if you were going for a stroll in the woods, don't try to incouraged him to do anything. If he shows no body language that he smells anything, goo to the next feeder and repeat. If you do this at all feeders and he shows no interest, pet him on the head and load him up go home.if you do this for 3 trips and and you can see there are coon using these feeders but he is not showing any interest, I would find another pup. I found using trap coon, drags didn't help at all. If a dog is going to make you a good dog he will run and tree you a coon in 3 trips if you have hot feeders.

Return to “Coon Hunting”