Running dogs locating

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
brian j cerelli
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Running dogs locating

Postby brian j cerelli » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:00 pm

It seems like a lot of west coast cat dogs are mixed with running dog, a side from the main reasons guys do this(tighter mouth some times on trialing, faster,more endurance, exc.)
Do many guys think that it makes for a better locate dog? not sit down and tree hard like coon dogs, just the locating and letting you know its up. i know they tend to not tree nearly as young as the straight treeing dogs, but the ones i have been around seem to be good locating in the coast on hard to find cats, and they dont seem to want to grab a tree so easily.(or slick tree for that matter) just wondered what other guys thought.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Running dogs locating

Postby mark » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:52 pm

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:36 pm

Bingo as Mark said. They are a different style of tree dog some don't tree but the ones that do are treeing because they know where the cat is. Not because they like to tree. Most will sat back and tree not chew the bark ,jumping at the tree crazy tree dogs that you see from a lot of the coon bred walkers today. Dewey
Clyde Lawson
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Clyde Lawson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:18 am

merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:22 am

What running dogs tree and can catch cat weird lol. Some of the Best locators I have seen have been crossed dogs. Some tree early some tree late. One of my fastest tree dogs is 3/4 running dog just turned two. Got a full running dog that's a dandy locate dog some days she tree's every breath some days just a few barks. She's not two years old yet. Rule of thumb they tend to not tree till 2 years and are tighter mouthed till there two as well. I like a open mouthed dog all my crosses are real open. I have one that took three years to open on a real cold track. The Running cross dogs seem to be natural rig dogs as with the full running dogs. Just my views
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:50 am

When you get one that makes a locating tree you've usually got something special.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:16 am

Two to three hundred yards is a long ways to be off a tree. I would doubt that any dog I have hunted with was the dog locating a treed bobcat, when that far from the tree. Just my opinion. Al
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:22 am

Clyde, 200-300 yards for a cat that went up seems like the dogs got fooled pretty good. Or are the weaker of the pack at locating. If they were casting for a loss then yeah that's good as long as they open on the pick up. Would love to get down there sometime and run some.
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 am

I've got quite a few West Coast running hound crosses and I do like what they do for me and my pack. But I also Run coon type hounds and FOR ME my coon bred hounds out locate and tree them most all the time . But in my opinion Treehounds have been bred for that and that's their specialty like running hounds are made for running .As Dewey always says you cannot reinvent the wheel. And I know a lot of you guys have good hybrid type hounds and are very successful . Good hound is a good hound. Timothy Morgan
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:06 am

Maybe the coon type hounds are blabbing away not shutting up so it seems like there out locating lol just kidding. I and a few look at it we aren't trying to reinvent the wheel but modifying it like putting spikes on or chains haha.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:41 pm

I have never seen the perfect dog and never expect to. What pleases one person may not the other. Each to their own. It seem that it boils down to what you like and feel that is important. I hope I never breed or find that perfect dog if I did what would I have to look forward to?? Maybe just catching everyone I start no matter how cold, in what scent conditions or how spoiled a cat can be from being ran by a bunch of half ass combination dogs. Like I said each to their own if you like to run everything more power to you. Dewey
Clyde Lawson
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Clyde Lawson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Clyde Lawson
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Clyde Lawson » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:14 pm

al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Agreed Mr. Dewey.

I too, cannot come up with that perfect one!

We may end 1 to 2 out of 5 we start. And if it is really dry and sorry scent conditions, we only get maybe a flag or a few barks.

But, when everything is right-we do get to enjoy some mighty fine hound music with seeing in daytime the cat and the hounds attempting to catch him. Makes me keep, feed, and spend a lot of time and money enjoying.[/quote]
Mr Lawson, sounds like you are hunting for the same reason most true houndsmen hunt for, wishing you many more years enjoying those running crosses. My comment was not to put anyone or any hounds down, only sharing my experience here in south western Oregon. There is certainly a fine line between tree power needed to locate bobcat & too much that can produce an empty tree in this neck of the woods. Must say in 50 plus years have never hunted with a dog or pack of dogs that did not get a empty once in awhile. Take care Al
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 am

Clyde, didn't mean anything negative towards your dog's. How many California, Oregon, and Washington guys made it that way to run with you?

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”