What am I?!?!

General DiscussionForum
newcoonhoundowner

What am I?!?!

Postby newcoonhoundowner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi, I hope its ok but I couldnt find a better hound forum. We recently adopted from a pretty bad home a little hound. We were told that she is a "pure hound", now obviously that doesnt make a lot of sense so the best we could figure is that she is Black and Tan and maybe Bluetick or Treeing Walker. The only hound I have ever owned is a Beagle and I was like 5 yrs old. I mostly had Aussies so my knowledge is very limited.

I come here to get your opinion on our little Lily. Also one concern, having owned Aussies I know that too much white can cause issues like deafness and blindness, the inside of Lily's nose is pure white, is that a scent related issue?

bluedog4
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: What am I?!?!

Postby bluedog4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:18 pm

I've only ever seen the white on the inside of the nose on some walkers!
So I'm going to say she's got some walker in her for sure.........LOL
Nice looking pup
newcoonhoundowner

Postby newcoonhoundowner » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Thank you very much, whats odd is I had never heard of a Treeing Walker until I started researching this pup. I cant think of where the previous owners got her lol.
Dale T
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dale T » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:20 am

Ignorance and not getting involved is the biggest enemy to a Houndsmen!
newcoonhoundowner

Postby newcoonhoundowner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:28 am

Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:57 am

She looks pretty typical of all the Walker x Plott crosses I've seen. She is definitely part Walker, where the dudley nose came from, and the brindle on her legs could only come from a Plott if she is all "pure hound"
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:09 am

Cassandra is probably right, as usual.

I sure wouldn't worry about the white in the nose. I have seen some good dogs that had it. I think your blind/deaf worries have to do with double Merle, and she does not show any Merle that I can see. The feet look A little unfamiliar to me, (like I have seen those feet somewhere, but not on any of my hounds), and makes me wonder about the 100% hound. But if I am the only one that feels that way, ignore it. The brindle could come from a few different places if it is not pure coon hound. I think the pink chest might be more of a disqualifyer than the white nose. Pretty sure of it.

I hear they have DNA testing to tell you the dogs genetic background if you want to fool with that. I don't know how accurate they are and have never done it, so can't recommend it from experience. But if you do it, please let us know where the pink comes from.

How old is the dog in these pictures?

I hope it makes you a great dog and you have a ton of fun with it for many years to come.
newcoonhoundowner

Postby newcoonhoundowner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:53 am

Last edited by newcoonhoundowner on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Plott hounds are one of the seven coonhound breeds recognized by UKC and other registries.
Brindle, which she is hinting at on At least two of her legs, would be characteristic of plotts. Some Leopard hounds carry it also.

http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay. ... &forumid=4
Last edited by david on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newcoonhoundowner

Postby newcoonhoundowner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:11 pm

newcoonhoundowner

Postby newcoonhoundowner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Reading on the Plott, does this sound them? Or does this help in determining. I thin you guys have figured out the mystery for sure. This was her alerting at a flower pot... silly but there was something wrong with the soil that was in it, the plant had died to some disease and where we tossed the dirt she was also interested in. Its not a great video as the light in our mud room is crap and its loud! So watch your volume lol

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Haha. Funny video. It looks like you got a little fire cracker. I hope you love to hunt, because that is what she lives for.

We call that "baying". She has the flower pot bayed. She is waiting for you to finish it off so she can rush in and pull hair. I don't know how she got triggered, but my guess is a combination of movement and a hole that smells like earth. In other words, a den hole with movement might have translated "that critter is about to bolt out of that hole, so I will just keep it in there until I get some help." Something made her a little bit afraid of it like she would be of an animal.

What ever happened in her brain, I am guessing you have your hands full with a pup that will be driven to hunt, follow tracks, and "tree" or "bay" critters at the end of those tracks.

Have fun, And welcome to the wonderful world of hounds.
newcoonhoundowner

Postby newcoonhoundowner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:19 am

Alas, no hunting in my future, I am not a hunter and couldnt at this point in my life. I have been disabled for many years. I do however have a big yard with lots of squirrels and rabbits and a 3 year old I will raising to keep her entertained. Its probably not ideal but she is having fun so far and even likes our cats and pet bunny who owns the mud room where the flower pot was. I at least am home all day to cater to her whims and she has a blast in the yard. I have been watching/reading a lot of things on how to train hounds for her role, like how to walk a scent dog and such. If any of you have any material shoot it my way! And thank you for the welcome, she is such a character and we look forward to living with her quirks.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 am

If you have rabbits and squirrels she can hunt to her hearts content. We wish you lots smiles and laughter and good memories.

Return to “General Forum”