Getting started on coon hunting

Talk about Coon Hunting
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Getting started on coon hunting

Postby k_canterbury » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello I am located in southwest Colorado and looking to start running coons. I am new to hounds and have two young redbones I am wanting to run coons with wondering if could get any advice or help in training them. Also is it needed to have tracking collars and if so does anyone have a preferred brand to use I have been looking into the Garmin alpha for the track and train feature. Have worked dogs on drag a few times and they seem to run it good been trying to trap a live coon to let them run it and see how they tree. Any training advice is welcome and appreciated as well as if there is someone running coons close and wouldn't mind me tagging along. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Getting started on coon hunting

Postby Jeff Eberle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:06 pm

1st I'd stop running drags , 2nd I'd buy the Alpha, 3rd buy John Wicks Books (Walk with Wick vol1 & vol 2) If its legal in your state make up some coon feeders ( look them up on youtube ) Then go out and find a spot to hunt that has coon look for tracks. If you work them on a cage coon don't over do it. Learn your dogs their different barks , why their did what they did If your into clubs join a local hound club ( believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see). And if you only do one of the things I have suggested Buy the books John Wick has wrote. Most of all have fun.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: RE: Re: Getting started on coon hunting

Postby k_canterbury » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:44 pm

dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:14 pm

X2 on jeffs post. Feeders work great for a short amount of time then just start putting your dogs where you know coon are naturally. Personally if you're just getting started with young dogs I'd only have one hunting at a time to cause less problems. Drags and cage coons cause more harm than good in the long run however if you must take a cage coon and turn it loose once of twice for them without them seeing it and then giving it time before turning the dogs loose shouldn't cause any harm. If it's in their blood everything will come natural but don't rush them, they won't develop on the same time frame or overnight, patience is key
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 pm

dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I know where you're coming from, I have 2 little ones that tag along as much as possible. Don't be discouraged at all, do what you think you will enjoy. It sounds like you are in an awesome situation and ideal to coon hunt. You're already ahead of the game where most people struggle to get farms to hunt on, I know around my area farms can be hard to come by unless you know somebody but farms are perfect for getting young dogs on lots of coons easily and usually don't have a hard walk. Keep doing what you're doing and keep your head up.
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:07 pm

brianboyes37

Postby brianboyes37 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:11 pm

i agree with all the prevous replies its all good advice except whoever told you not to waste your time on coon i disagree with that coon are perfect for pup training and keeping the dogs in shape and busy during the off season patience is definately the key alot of people think you go buy a cpl dogs and start catching critters it took me a year to tree my first which might be longer then most but once it started it hasnt stopped the feeling of pride and acomploshment is huge have fun and try not to get frustrated your going to be on a roller coaster of ups and downs i start pups with releasing caged coons and putting them on track nd if not available i look for them with lights and turn loose on fresh tracks good luck stick with it
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:00 pm

You could always get rid of one dog doesn't sound like you can handle the two more have the experience to work two pups and start on your own second leave the kid at home and hunt hard or quit being so dumb and find a finished Coonhound who would know more than you and teach you something. Maybe the people who told you don't waste your time on coons are correct and if you have them to run cats with they could help you and that way you don't ruin a good coon dog not that you have one if there is nobody in your area running coon wouldn't that make you think there maybe something to it? Some people should stay out of hounds giving and giving true houndsmen a bad name
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:16 pm

raisinriver
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby raisinriver » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 pm

mike gagne
raisinriver redbones
martintown ontario
canada (613)528-7556
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Thank you I appreciate it, it has been fun so far learning with the pups as well as doing it with my daughter she is having a blast just going out and walking the hounds in the woods and watching them run so it's been worth it so far and may even just get lucky one night and catch a coon if not still great times with my daughter

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:03 am

Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Pagosa
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Pagosa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Hey coonslayer quit being a knucklehead.

K Canterbury, don't worry about what other hounds men say, there are lots of na-Sayers and some good guys that generally want to help others. It took me a couple years of hunting before my dogs started treeing fairly regularly. Feeders work great, and I think hunting one dog at a time will minimize frustrations. Being that nobody hunts coons in your area will open up a lot of doors to get your hounds experience. Most areas of Colorado, raccoons and bobcat/lions territory's don't overlap so I wouldn't worry about "ruining" a hound. If it was western OR I'd say otherwise. I'd recommend hunting on your own and with your kids and not with their houndsmen. Preston
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Return to “Coon Hunting”