Surgically AI'ing a Gyp

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Surgically AI'ing a Gyp

Postby Gary Roberson » Mon May 22, 2017 11:35 am

I hauled a heavy Smokey River bred female to Dr. James Bell, Castroville, TX last Tuesday and after checking progesterone level, advised me that he would check her again on Thursday. I got a call around noon on Thursday when I was advised that the progesterone level had jumped to nearly 42 and when it got close (which might be that afternoon, he would breed her). I asked if he could wait until the next morning so that I could be there with a camera to shoot for CARNIVORE and he said, "yes".
Waiting on the anesthesia to take effect, gave me a chance to interview Dr. Bell. My first question was, "what is your success rate?" His response was almost 100%. "Number of live pups per litter?" 7.2. "How many females do you breed annually?" Approximately 500. "Oldest semen used?" He said that he successfully bred a female last year to a dog that was collected in 1973. "Largest litter from this procedure?" 22 live pups.
My goal is to get me at least one male pup from this mating so that I will have a dog to breed all my females that are closely related. This female was bred to Clear River Diamond Jim who, ironically I hauled a gyp to when he was in SE OK over 12 years ago. Diamond Jim was a well made dog with lots of drive, speed and hated cats.
Adios,
Gary
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Surgically AI'ing a Gyp

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue May 23, 2017 11:14 am

Very cool. I hope all goes well for ya.
call-me-ish
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby call-me-ish » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

Hey Gary,
Would that female be Yuma?
High Hopes for the Pack
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes, the female is Yuma. She is making a nice hound with a ton of drive, she's a little tight mouthed and not as cold nosed as my dogs but I really think that she is going to niche really well with the Cl. Rv. Diamond Jim dog. Better yet, I think a pup from this litter crossed on my females will produce an even better product...time will tell.
Yuma has made a good looking gyp and has the best feet and legs of any of the Runnin Bullet dogs I have seen. My biggest problem with her confirmation is that she is very short earred.
Adios,
Gary
call-me-ish
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby call-me-ish » Tue May 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Let us know if any pups are available to come out west. I like the cross!!
High Hopes for the Pack
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Tue May 23, 2017 5:52 pm

I will do. I am going to keep two males and Larry Anderson in MT is wanting whatever he can get. While I do think this will be an outstanding cross, the best is yet to come when I can get a pup from this cross on my females.
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Tue May 23, 2017 5:58 pm

I grew up on a ranch in South Texas never planning any matings, just breed the best to the best and hope for the best. Now I am plotting and scheming out years in advance of matings that should produce the type of dogs I want.
In the old days, I was hoping to get a good dog or two from a litter of 7 or 8. Now, I am shocked if every dog in the litter does not turn out to be above average to very good. All this plotting and scheming also gives an old man something to do when he can't hunt.
Adios,
Gary
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:13 am

Well you're doing something right Gary that pup I got from you is great!!
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Wed May 24, 2017 12:53 pm

tman, I am not sure what I will end up with if anything. I will say that a gyp from this cross should really work with Captain. Sounds like the pups from Captain and Liz's bitch may turn out as well.
I have hunted with and around a lots of hounds but I must say that this Yuma gyp is about as athletic and quick as any I have seen, reminds me more of an English Pointer.
I am so glad that Captain is making you a hand. Larry sure likes his littermate on bear and lion up there in MT.
There's a really nice female in NE AZ from the litter and another really nice male at Sanderson, TX that is catching lions in that desert country. We lost a male from that litter when he treed a lion by himself in the Navajo and took hours to get to him. The pup treed the lion by himself and it took them over 6 hours to get to him as the dogs had split. When they found him, they could see where he treed a long time and the lion came down on him and killed the youngster. Hate to loose one like this.
Adios,
Gary
Ed Moore
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Ed Moore » Wed May 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Good going Gary, I sure liked that gyp. She is very smart. Hope you get 12 pups out of her.
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Cajun » Wed May 24, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi Gary, If I can, I would like to ask a few questions as I am interested in AI myself. How old is the semen being used & how many straws will be used? That success rate your Vet has is phenomenal. wishing you the best on this litter.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
call-me-ish
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby call-me-ish » Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm

I did a little research this spring on AI including consultation with a vet and surprisingly the results Gary was Quoted seem to be where veterinarian science has progressed to. I also visited with a houndsman who claimed successfully using 30 plus year old semen in his program.
I'm excited about Gary's venture and hope to purchase a pup If one is available.
High Hopes for the Pack
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:05 pm

The semen that we used on Yuma was collected 8 years ago from Clear River Diamond Jim. Dr. Bell warmed it up and put it under a microscope and said that this semen was really good and asked if I wanted to check it out. I looked at it and estimated it to be 80% live.
He said that he AI'ed a female last year and got live pups from a dog that was collected in 1973. That is the oldest semen that he has ever used and still has some stored at his clinic.
Dr. Bell graduated at Texas A&M and while going to vet school worked at Granada Land and Cattle Company doing embryo transfer on high dollar Brangus cattle. After moving to Castroville, he and another vet were the first doing embryo transfers on the first Boar Goats brought into the US. For over 10 years, he has done nothing but work with canine reproduction. June 9th will be 21 days and then I will haul her back to the vet where we will sonogram her to make sure she is bred and how many puppies. Hoping for the best.
Adios,
Gary
call-me-ish
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby call-me-ish » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Just wondering if there was an update on puppies??
High Hopes for the Pack
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:11 pm

She is no doubt bred and is beginning to show. We bred her on the 19th and she started to show just a little belly yesterday. I am betting that she is going to have at least 6-8 pups, hopefully alive and healthy. I am going to keep at least two males and will get a few out to my hunting buddies.
Adios,
gary

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”