Hunt or Sense ?

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
undertheradar
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Hunt or Sense ?

Postby undertheradar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:53 pm

The board is mighty slow. I could've posted this on the Fox forum as well but this one has more visitors.
I have a straight running walkers for mainly grey fox hunting but we catch the occasional coyote and a few bobcats as well. Most of the dogs are registered hotter nosed NENC bred or SEVA bred dogs with a few grade dogs locally bred for fox/cat hunting. All of the ones I feed will help you in a race at some point in time. Not saying their great, because their not. But theyre not culls.

I don't have many cold nosed dogs, in fact I don't have any. I have a few that will trail some but definitely wont work a track to death. I have a few dogs that I free cast that hunt very well, and I have some that wont leave your sight unless something else barks or they smell a fox or cat track. One of these gyps that wont cast at all has jumped several pieces of game and the ones that turn the bushes upside down, rarely jump anything. It is interesting to me because if you came and judged these dogs you sure wouldn't put her on the top of the list! Why the ones that stay busy don't jump much is beyond me. I keep telling myself, as much as they hunt they are bound to get after something eventually lol
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Hunt or Sense ?

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:47 pm

undertheradar,

Jump dogs are jump dogs. They come in all shapes, colors, sizes, and speeds. They are very very hard to come by and if you get a line that is good at it you best concentrate on that line and don't kid yourself cuz without them you be (beep).
barksalot
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby barksalot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:31 pm

One of the best jump, strike, start dogs that I have had would embarrass me loafing for an hour while my buddies dogs were hunting their butts off. Then, without noticing that he was gone. we would hear him open on a track, maybe over a 1/4 mile deep. I do not understand how or why but while he did 5% of the hunting he made 50% of the starts throughout his 14 year lifespan.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm

I have hunted a good old cat dog that is pretty well known. The first few times he frustrated me. I like to exercise the dogs in front of the truck for awhile and I love watching them hunt. He would empty out, and then fall behind the truck. No hunt? I finally figured out he was trying to get me trained to put him up on the box where he belonged, and never missed a track. Lol. Hunt smarter, not harder.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:34 am

Sounds like the dog has figured out how to do the same job but slot easier, hence work smarter not harder, my first hitch on a drilling rig we were tripping pipe out the hole and I was gung ho determined to get the job done, after 3 hours of dang near working myself to death an older hand showed me how to do it with one arm and nice and smooth, sometimes less is more, another thing to look at, were the other dogs hunting or just so wired to run you think their hunting but all their doing is moving until they run across something they like the smell of or somebody else strikes, I have a cur dog that's got 1/8th walker in him and he looks like a rat on acid until he winds down a little bit, he will literally paint a garmin screen up covering an area come do a check and go back out in the same area he just came from and will strike a track, makes me want to pull my hair out at times with him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”