Tracking blood or wounded deer

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Tracking blood or wounded deer

Postby dirtdodge » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Does anyone use their hunting dogs that are broke off deer to track a wounded deer? If so does the dog seen to want to run deer after tracking a wounded deer? I have used my laika (coon/squirrel dog) to track up a couple of deer for me after I shot them. The other night I'm pretty sure she was tracking a live deer that went straight when the shot deer was heading right handed. Needless to say I started over and payed more attention to the sign and the tracks and she led me right to the downed deer.

I just don't want to get her chasing deer when she's not supposed to be. Anyone have a problem with this? Thanks Justin
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Tracking blood or wounded deer

Postby bearsnva » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:51 pm

I don't think you can expect the dog to understand how it is OK to find your deer one morning and then it is not OK to follow or chase one when you go squirrel hunting that afternoon. I would get confused myself. LOL Seems you either want the dog to fool with deer or you don't, I try to make sure mine know they are not to mess with them.
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:00 am

I had an old cur dog that would track shot deer, would only work them on a lead and with constant encouragement. Wouldn't mess with them at any other time, except for one time I was gathering cattle and she had a couple deer in the herd. I will say she was broke for coon and squirrel before I tried blood trailing her, and that she was a once in a lifetime type of dog, seemed to know what I wanted her to do no matter what I was doing. I wouldn't dare try it with any of the hounds I have now, they like running deer a little too much, could have a relapse at any time. If I was going to do it, I would do it with something that was old and broke, that I could read body language on, and that could read me pretty good too. Or I would have a dedicated blood trailing dog. I try not to mess with them nasty critters any longer than it takes to put some backstraps in the freezer though. Not legal to hunt them here in any truly enjoyable fashion, at least not on this side of the state.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 am

There is a guy that is a subscriber to my youtube channel that has a really good blood or deer tracking dog .. he comments a lot and has some videos himself of his Lacy dog trialing up wounded deer down south I believe

This is his channel
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 pm

We have several dogs trained to track wounded game. One is a dachshund, and she is awesome but slow. The other is a fox red Labrador and she is also a great shed antler dog. I recently raised a litter of pups out of her crossed on a full hound and expect these will be awesome.

I will be offering some for sale soon.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have squirrel hunted her 5 time since the deer tracking. She hasn't seem to mess with any deer. I do keep her on a lead when blood tracking. She usually has a ecollar when squirrel hunting if something changes her mind..

Mark do you think them labrahounds will make bobcat dogs?
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am

I wouldn't be surprised. The female lab has an outstanding nose, and can really wind game in the tree, she is also a good tree dog on squirrel. Once she knows you want it she will just about kill herself trying to get it. We had her on a bobcat tree last week and she really was impressive, although she looked pretty floppy cuz she is feeding 6 pups. LOL!

the male they are out of is so cat minded it is unreal! He epitomizes what Nance Little Topper blood is about speed and prey drive. This is a must in bloodtrailing and then if you add dogs that also have play drive and reward driven they can be made to hunt, fur, blood, antlers, drugs, and even livestock.
MIKE LEONARD
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004374097746

Postby TomJr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 am

I have a 1/2 lab 1/2 walker that's now 12 and he is still going. Fox, lion and bobcat, he will go after bear but is too smart to go after the mean ones(pulls off a mean one and comes back to me. he will go back and trail at my urging but I have to be right there with him if its a mean one.) He also locates super well often before my hounds. I really like his handle. Might have to pick one of those pups up Mike...

Tom Beatty Jr
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:26 am

Give me a shout Tom I will save one for you. I will send you a photo..
MIKE LEONARD
The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:10 pm

I spent my entire life working on ways to knock down game faster. Shot a deer with my bow one time in the left hind quarter accidentally only to see it bleed out dead in 15 yards. A good broad-head! You need more knockdown power. Native Americans used a small broad-head and focused on a passthru. You dont need to be that good with today's 145 grain broadheads. As for the dog, why cant you just let it run around and watch it on the GPS. When it finds the dead dear tell it NO! BAD DOG. Then dont make that mistake again as you would then be labeled a California idiot as opposed to a regular idiot...lol
"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:55 am

Yeah man, it's pretty easy and most dogs with half a brain can be taught. The trick is to be sure to let your dog know that there is a big difference between chasing a healthy deer and tracking a wounded deer. I assume you laika's run silent so it might be a little harder to catch umm trashing on deer but you probably know when there pushing a trail open or not. Encourage your dog to trail on blood and or gut trails that you put her on. Mean while discouraging any deer chasing of the non wounded kind. Good luck man, there's gonna be a few jack pots before you get her all lined out but it'll be worth it in the end. Good blood dog is worth a tun. Keep us posted

Mike, tell me more about these red lab hound cross. Sounds like an awesome cross. Pics would be cool, wish I had the space for a dog like that. I would for sure try and talk you out of one.
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:18 pm

I think she's figuring out what's going on. She will bite at leaves, branches or blades of grass with blood on them. Nose to the ground on a blood drop. It's new to me as well.
I just need more wounded deer to track but I'd rather run dogs than deer hunt.
Yes mark keep us up on them pups. I'd like to see them too...
The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:42 pm

"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:26 pm

I think you ARE one of Jerry's kids !
Rick Brocious

Return to “Other Hunting”