Mike Kemp Dog Review-2017

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
nmdogman
Facebook ID: 0

Mike Kemp Dog Review-2017

Postby nmdogman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:19 pm

This is a review of a Mike Kemp dog that I purchased directly from Mike Kemp and his kennel, Three Bear Kennels. I spoke with Mr. Kemp in early November 2016 telling him a little bit about myself, where I am from and how I hunt. He assured me that the dogs that he is selling would work for me. To clarify, I hunt bear, mountain lion and bobcat. I rig hunt for bear and snow hunt for bobcat and mountain lion. I sent Mr. Kemp a deposit on November 6, 2016 and ordered a Choice Pup. The first pup that Mr. Kemp was going to send to me Mr. Kemp felt wasn’t quite right for me. He gave me a choice of taking the pup or waiting for another so I opted to wait. The pup that he finally settled on sending me arrived on November 1, 2017. The pup was in perfect health, as far as I could tell, no matted eyes, not dehydrated, not scared or cowardy. The dog hauler is very professional with an old dog catcher type truck bed made into a trailer and the pups seemed to be very comfortable. So November 1, 2017 is the beginning of this journey with this pup. I will keep everyone here informed as to how things are progressing.
Wrapwrench
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Mike Kemp Dog Review-2017

Postby Wrapwrench » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:47 pm

Let us all know I've herd a lot of good stuff about his dogs! On the other side of the coin a friend of mine year s back bought a dog from him and Mike called him about two years later telling him to have the dog cut so he couldn't breed him. Nope!!
nmdogman

Postby nmdogman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:44 pm

“Things to Remember
Spring water is always the purest where it bubbles out of the ground. The further it travels downstream, the more likely it could become contaminated.”
This is what Mr. Kemp has on the home page of his web site. So if he didn’t want his dogs bred then he would simply neuter or spay his dogs before sale. This is what many kennel operators do. The pup that I bought was fully intact so I have a tough time believing that Mr. Kemp asked any0ne not to breed his dogs, he has never told me such a thing.
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004374097746

Postby TomJr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 am

Tom Beatty Jr
nmdogman

Postby nmdogman » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:48 pm

TomJr. I hadn’t thought of that possibility, but I absolutely agree. For instance, if a dog came up with mange and didn’t have the immune system to fight it off I would definitely let people know that that particular strain of dogs should not be bred. This is what makes these forums so valuable it allows people to gain insight by others who think outside the box.
Copied From PedMD:
Q: If I have a dog that has Demodex, does that mean I should not breed it?
A: If the dog, male or female, has a protracted, difficult-to-cure case of Demodex, that dog should not be bred. If you have a dog that has or had a brief, localized episode of Demodex and has recovered well, then breeding may be considered; but some veterinarians believe that any dog that has displayed skin manifestations of Demodex should be removed from a high quality breeding program.
nmdogman

Postby nmdogman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Update November 10, 2017: I have had the pup tied out on a chain and she was clearly chain broke before I got her. She didn’t fight the chain, only tested her boundaries and once established checked her box and got in. She isn’t babbly nor does she bark incessantly. She seems to be very calm and comfortable and hasn’t made any fuss. I am planning on roading her soon. Deer season opens this weekend so it is a good weekend not to be in the woods. We’ll see how it goes.
nmdogman

Postby nmdogman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 pm

November 14, 2017: Took the pup out and roaded her with the old dogs for about three (3) miles. She was confused and didn’t know what was going on. This I expected and would lead me to believe that she hasn’t been roaded before. She finally fell in with the rest of the pack and ran good. While running dogs I look for physical defects and just watch how they run. Seems funny but it takes a dog awhile to learn how to run. She is young and ran somewhat gangly. Her brain hasn’t quite caught up with her body. I only run three (3) miles because at six (6) months I think that the tendons and joints are still growing so I don’t really start running them any distance until they are about ten (10) months to about a year. She did okay for her first time out I couldn’t detect any physical abnormalities or injuries.
The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 pm

"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm

red baron what the hell do you know about hounds ? I WOULD SAY NOTHING !
Rick Brocious
nmdogman

Postby nmdogman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm

November 22, 2017: I have been roading the pup every other day for three (3) miles and she is doing well and learning quickly. We ran a coon that crossed the road with the older dogs. The pup left out with the other dogs like she had been doing it her entire life. One (1) thing that I do not like though, and this is nitpicking I’m sure, her voice is not bawl-mouth. She is a little bit squeaky when she barks. With today’s modern GPS technology this is not a big deal but for those that love the sound of hound music she is no Susan Boyle, but when I arrived at the tree she was sitting treeing like an old dog.
rum3002576
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rum3002576 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Have a picture of her?
Wrapwrench
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Wrapwrench » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 pm

That sounds like a great prospect! You are definitely giving her the right start. As for my post about the friend of mine years back that bought the dog from kemp, I don't know the reason he asked to get the dog cut. But maybe genetic problems could have been the reason the dog was a good lion dog. Keep us updated thanks
nmdogman

Postby nmdogman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Wrapwrench I think that during a review anything that anyone has heard or knows is important and necessary for a thorough unbiased and complete review, so I definitely appreciate your input. I don’t know Mr. Kemp and I have only read what other people have posted. After reading those reviews I threw the dice and purchased a pup. I don’t owe Mr. Kemp anything so my review is going to be as true and accurate as possible. If you have heard anything else I think everyone here would like to hear it. Good Hunting and Happy Thanksgiving to all…
rum3002576
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rum3002576 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Any updates?

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”