Montana Wolves

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Taylor
Facebook ID: 0

Montana Wolves

Postby Taylor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Is there any thing you guys do to keep wolves from attacking your hounds? Does putting bells on collars scare them off??
Last edited by Taylor on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you did not see it in the tree it did not happen" -Herb kennedy
pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Montana Wolves

Postby pistol » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Nothing works to keep them away really. I have heard bells help but then again ive seen dogs get killed with them. If your coming to Montana to run bobcats though you might want to check the regulations. Montana doesnt allow out of staters to run bobcats only lions.
twilli
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby twilli » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Don't hunt where the wolves are its that simple. You see tracks or hear them pull out. Bell don't help and if you get an aggressive pack you will lose your dogs.
Lee Wolford
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Lee Wolford » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 am

I have been hunting in wolf country as long as they have been in Idaho. I have lost several dogs over the years, its just one of those things that is going to happen sooner or later. If I find a cat track and there are any wolf tracks in the area i just head somewhere else, its not worth the risk. However, just because you don't see any wolf sighn dosent mean they are not one ridge over laying on a kill or something.

This is what I do every time; When I find a cat track that I'm going to run, my dogs always know when I'm turning collars on and getting everything ready to go. My whole box is blowing up, i let them bark all they want while I'm getting ready to go. It usually takes me 15 minutes to get everything ready to go, dogs screaming the whole time. Then I shoot my rifle a few time in the air, I believe that if there are any wolves listening to my dogs that they will start associating barking with gun shots.

On several occasions over the years i have had wolves coming into my dogs at the tree and in the truck, I have seen later their tracks running into where my dogs were and could plainly see where they hit the brakes and ran the other way when I fired shots. If i was a faster typer I would tell several really good stories about these situations. So I really believe this works and if everybody would do it the wolves will start to associate hounds with people.

It may not work all the time or in every situation, obivously, but, i know one thing, it sure dosent hurt a thing.
Nicole Stark
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nicole Stark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:50 am

Interesting topic. I had no idea that wolves tangled with dogs. Not hounds anyway. What type of a situation would lead to such an encounter? After the same prey or do the hounds end up chasing the wolves? I don't honestly know, I'm just throwing stuff out there to see what might fit.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 am

For Nicole, predators will kill lesser predators whenever they can. I believe they are just protecting their prey base. Just Ma Nature. Works from top to bottom. Us on down.
twilli
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby twilli » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Worst case scenario is around the den when pups are being born anything that comes within this zone is dead. Doesnt matter what is it bear, cat,lion, dogs they will kill anything that ventures into the denning area.
The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 am

"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 am

If wolves are coming to the sound of dogs treeing, then why in the world wouldn't you set them up by purposefully getting your dogs to tree when you know wolves are in the area then kill the dam things when they come in. You do that a few times and the rest will quickly associate treeing hounds with death. Instead of running towards the sound of hounds, they'd be running away from it. If every houndsman did that when they got into a pack of wolves, it would change their attitude.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:13 pm

"Power of the Pamphlet" . You simply download, read, then vote you can judge character just fine.
Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Pwilson » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 pm

If I lived up there I would kill every one I seen and just not say a word about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The red baron
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby The red baron » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 pm

grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Rick Brocious
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:10 am

Jeff Eberle