Canvas Wall Tents

Post your product review or ask questions on products

Rhett_Chasin
Facebook ID: 0

Canvas Wall Tents

Postby Rhett_Chasin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Howdy All,

I've been looking round this site for some time and figured y'all could help with this topic. My local outfit () offers the Wilderness Tent and i'm contemplating picking one up for next huntin season. The canvas and worksmanship are top notch, so I'm not looking to debate brands. Just looking to see what the pro's and con's of the wall tent life are.

Thanks Much!
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Canvas Wall Tents

Postby david » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:59 am

I raised my two kids in one. I have lived a lot of places, but that was my favorite. Ours was an army issue 18' hexagon with a complete liner (tent within a tent).

I just would not want to do the northern winter without the double wall. That would be my only warning for you. But if you are not living in it year round, I am sure you can keep the fire built up enough. The part of your body not facing the fire, may be a different temperature than the side facing. With a double wall you experience even heat on all sides.

The wood heated canvas tent experience is completely different than any other tenting experience I have had. It is worthy of being home. SO COMFORTABLE.
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby dirtdodge » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:36 pm

We had an old army tent we used for deer camp. It was big and roomy. Then we downsize to a smaller white canvas tent. The white definitely saved $ on propane cuz in the green army tent we ran lanterns all day and night. We tarped the roof to hold the heat and make it easy to get the snow off.

Dave we had the octagon tent too. With the liner it was toasty warm. We named it the outlaw tent...
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:21 pm

You are right. They are dark enough at high noon to develop film in there. I ended up putting in a sliding glass door and a bank of sliding windows facing the lake. Lol. Probably not a pack mule set up. But it was like the downtown Hilton in there.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:00 pm

I have been using David Ellis tents and tee-pees for over 20 years. He is out of Durango, Colorado and makes a quality product.

I spent several cold winters years ago in the back country with an old lion hunting buddy in one of those big green Army tents. I'll have to say it was a good one and got to be home sweet home after those hard bitter days following the hounds. These tents David builds are a real upgrade from old big green, and a whole lot better if you are packing in deep on horses and mules.

Check him out.

https://elliscanvastents.com/
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks for that link Mike. I get the feeling I got sucked in on an advertisement. Ol' Rhet signed up on BGH made one post and disappeared.

But in case some one else is actually interested, who is struggling with the cost of a canvas wall tent:

I paid $400 for the "GP small" 6 man arctic double walled tent from an Amy surplus. (I saw one recently on Craig's list for $500). It stood for nine years before we decided to take it down. It was very comfortable in 30 degrees below zero (f) weather. Not very comfortable in the summer sun. But we had the lake to keep us cool.

It made a very nice home. But it would have been a lot of bulk and weight to pack into the wilderness. I would not do it unless I was going to stay there a long time. I am guessing that just the liner would weigh close to the total weight of the typical white canvas wall tent.

Return to “Equipment and Product Review”