Ghost and Sugar
Attachments
D5092F67-93B2-408A-9D89-741A12429FC4.png
deadmammal
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Kemmer cur

Postby deadmammal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:20 am

Goose, I can’t tell you anymore about him than you already know! The stock of Kemmer Kenny McClain has maintained for 23 years is fading from our grasps. Mostly due to our own ignorance. They have been bred tight and are showing signs of it now, we are in need of a few outcrosses in a bad way. The problem for us has been finding Kemmer’s anymore that are proven big game dogs. The fact is there were very few people hunting them on big game and even fewer today! It’s hard for us to get outside this line of dogs and maintain the nose, grit, and staying power that we expect out of them. I’m not saying that we have the only ones, just that finding the small percentage left around the country has proven to be difficult. We’ve bought a few dogs here and there that we were directed to because they were good on small game but in the end have been disappointed with the results when crossing on those types of dogs. Our dogs have historically been 60-65 pound males and 50-55 pound females and big boned with tons of staying power, nose, unreal track speed and bulldog tuff. I will tell you from experience, if you breed away from that you will lose it in one generation. You don’t breed to 40 pound females and get the same type of dog you had originally. You might get an odd ball or two that will but not consistently.
The only reason I responded to this thread was in hopes to find a link or hint from others no matter where they are, that still have these dogs beacause it would be great for us all to keep in touch in order to salvage what is left of these great dogs. I personally want mine to be from proven big game dogs not just any dog that will tree a yard squirrel. In no way was I trying to start an argument. I am more or less fishing for clues.
deadmammal
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby deadmammal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:31 am

Crank and Deuce
Attachments
F73FA431-655B-4F5B-86F6-1499C697F7C3.png
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Goose » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 am

deadmammal
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby deadmammal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:54 pm

I havnt seen enough of his dogs to have an opinion either Goose. Charles and I have never got along and I don’t agree with him about almost everything. So I can’t give you an unbiased opinion about him if you see what I mean? I wasn’t trying to be a smart a$$ to you.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Goose » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:25 pm

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 am

All breeders that promote their kennel in any way for profit or notoriety , were usually hunting another brand 14-20 yrs ago and talking that type dog up as the ultimate. No kennel produces muck better than the other% wise. If a pup you buy turns out half way decent the kennel will usually offer you a big price for the dog. That alone tell you they don't turn out good dogs in numbers. If you have a male and female that's doing the job to your satisfaction, you got a kennel. No need to go anywhere else hunting a start.
deadmammal
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby deadmammal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:08 pm

Mule man, I agree with you about the blowhards pumping themselves up and self promoting. That’s a very interesting observation, because I’ve seen the same thing you speak of when you say they were hunting something different and it was the best thing going. Most switch to whatever line Is selling best within their breed.

I can’t follow you on the having 2 dogs means you have a kennel! Yes you have a kennel of dogs, but I disagree that you have a start for any kind of line. It will take far more than one male and one female. It will take many dogs of differing genetic backgrounds but having the same overall likeness. That is, if you want to throw a consistent TYPE of dog. Or that’s my opinion anyway!

I think we all get caught up believing one line or breed of dog out there is the best, when in reality I do not believe that to be true. I’ve seen far too many different breeds or lines excell at different things.

Someone wrote me a private message about this topic asking about these Kemmer’s. He also told me about how he hunts and the other breeds he is using and what he has tried in an attempt to get the type dog he is looking for. It was like talking to myself! He and I hunt the same and have dabbled with the same breeds in an attempt to recreate what I’ve had in the Curs I’ve had. We even tried the same lines within each respective breed. That tells me that there is probably no such thing as the best breed or line for any species we hunt, but more likely a best TYPE of dog for each individual and the way they go about hunting.

This is turning into a nice post to read, keep it coming. I like to learn

Return to “Cur Dogs”