!!! The Ultimate Bobcat Dog: Part 2.0 !!!

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: !!! The Ultimate Bobcat Dog: Part 2.0 !!!

Postby Tanner Peyton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Hey Dan, how trainable do think these dogs will be? Do you think they'll pick things up quick and even be able to move onto more complex tasks? Or is sit, come, heal gonna be about it? I know you're breeding for intelligence and athleticism I'm just curious as to what that is in a tree dog and your standard of it. That was my biggest complaint with the hound was generally they were frustratingly dumb by my standards
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:53 pm

www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:12 pm

I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Vicki is out of Gem x Streak.

Gem is a medium-large, prick-eared BC that not only has a good handle on his job (herding) but is a devious, twisty dog that likes to skip out when his handler is not paying attention and kill cats and whatever else is around.

Streak is just a stag. I was following her progress as she grew up and she was proving herself to be exceptionally fast and keen on fox, coon and the other dogs in the neighborhood. I traded a Leopard male for her and brought her home. I showed her her first coyote, which was road killed and laid a half mile track for her with it. She smoked the track faster than I've ever seen a hound do it. It surprised me that she could fly on any track like that. Over the next season it turned out that she had a pretty decent nose. She jumped and ran 2-4 hour old tracks (coyote) by herself and caught several coyotes by herself before she was 2 years old...in timber country. She wasn't the hardest fighter in the world but she was a complete buzzsaw on small game. She was a great dog, but not surprisingly, she wouldn't tree a lick. I hunted her on small game mostly and she could really smoke a fox. She liked coon a lot, and she would stay at the tree, but I always had to send in a tree dog. I sold her when she was 6 or 7 and she was still blazing fast, though by that time my younger male was starting to be able to beat her. That's my big stud Duce, and he trees like a dang curdog.
I am.

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:49 pm

I am.

Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:12 pm

I agree 100%, with enough time any dog can be taught to do most anything. I guess what I'm getting at is the amount time of it takes to teach certain breeds is drastically more then others, generally speaking. Maybe I have to high of expectations or a lack of experience. But in the same amount of time it took me to teach my bird dog to go to the cooler and get me a bud light, no not a miller go put it back and get me bud light, I'm still working on sit with my hounds. Don't get me wrong I love hounds and there my favorite type of dog, that's just my only complaint with them. Generally there ability to learn is dramatically slower then other breeds I've dealt with. It's there best and worst quality. That's why I'm so intrigued by what dan is trying to do. I've had border collies and taught them to do all kinds of neat things based on there ability to learn.

I have limited experience with running hounds, and no experience with leopard, cur, or feist. So again my expectations might be in realistic for tree hound types. But it would just be nice if I could train dogs to do certain things and it didn't take any more time then it would to teach the same to a lab or border collie.

My final thought is, that you can teach a dog to do anything. But it's his genetics that are going to determine if he's any good at it.
Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Irish Jack » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:13 pm

" But in the same amount of time it took me to teach my bird dog to go to the cooler and get me a bud light, no not a miller go put it back and get me bud light"

Video Please..........this is going to be assume .

Jack.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 pm

Tanner don/t know where you got your education that lead to the conclusion, all hounds are dumb. I was surprised when Dan advertised these pups as UBD BEFORE THEY WERE EVER PUT TO THE TEST. Dan why not make a short video of the parents running & treeing bobcat in the woods? At least you would put to rest the thinking of those that have said your breeding program is all farce & your dogs are not hunted. Al
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:17 pm

Tanner- Agreed.

Al- Your either going to have to trust me or stop reading this thread. I'm most certainly not going to invest any of my time taking videos. I can get all sorts of them that may look like they are kicking ass, when they are actually doing a crap job, and vice versa. The ability of a dog comes down to a man's word or a trip to the woods, simples. Besides, the entire purpose of this thread is for interest and education...yours and mine. I don't have anything to prove and I'm not looking to.
I am.

twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:47 am

X2 on Al's request.
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:44 am

This topic is kinda like a soap opera, you can miss a few months and it's still the same ole conversation by the same people.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 pm

He's talking about you Al. :D
I am.

pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby pistol » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 pm

I just don't see why guys have to give Dan such a hard time. All it seems to be is a bunch of internet tough guys who think they're a bunch of bobcat catching legends to me that have the best dogs and can't ever look outside the box and actually believe there might be somebody else that can catch a bobcat too or try and raise some good cat catching stock. If these internet tough guys we're actually true houndsmen they would be calling Dan and seeing what he had going on and actually going and hunting with him and see what he's about not insist on pictures and videos all the time and bash him on social media. To me If I was a some so called bobcat legend ide jump all over this oppurtuniry and get a pup from him, hunt the shit out of it and in a year give my 2 cents on the matter. If Dan wants to cross a toothless goat with a Tijuana donkey than who cares. Just sit back and listen to what he has going on. I can go catch a bobcat and take some good pictures of some pretty trashy worthless culls treeing. I could do that all day long until somebody actually called me and wanted to come see my dogs in action. I just don't see why every time people post things or dogs for sale as a bobcat dog everybody has to call them out on it. Bobcats are not as hard to catch as guys make it out to be. Don't see what the fuss always has to be about all the time. Just my opinion

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”