MULES,HORSES AND HOUNDS

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
tigger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: MULES,HORSES AND HOUNDS

Postby tigger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Here's one our sheriff packed out for us a few years back.
Attachments
IMG_0349.jpg
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Cajun » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:46 pm

I work with my dogs before they are old enough to take hunting and I work them one at a time. Once they know what heel means, then I will work them with another dog. When I call them off a tree or a caught hog, they know the hunting is over. Like said above sometimes we will hit another track and if I do not want to run it, I will tell them no and maybe tone some of the harder headed ones.

MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Jordan1

Postby Jordan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:10 am

I don't think you will diminish their desire to hunt by just pulling them off of a trail. It's in their blood and it takes a lot to discourage them from hunting.
redfeather
Facebook ID: 1610612937

Postby redfeather » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:08 pm

you have to run the hole show for it to work for you and then it makes hunting very plesent
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:27 pm

Another update : we've been going to anywhere from 4-5 trees/bayups a week here in va and the dogs and mule are really starting to figure this thing out....a canvas tarp works pretty good for wrapping bear up in to throw over the saddle but blood eventually leaks through, a body bag is leak proof but it is tarp material so it is slick so im still trying to find the perfect solution to keep the bear from shifting when in really rough country.... Is there anything else out there or any ideas youall have? Also i really appreciate all youalls info, at this time last year i never dreamed that i would be hunting this style in va...
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 am

I just roll them "lions"in a old ground tarp and lash them on if they are leaking. Bear i always bring a pack horse and go that route. In my eager youth i walked more then i wanted . bear are difficult to tie down evenly. In a pinch you can gut them wrap them and cinch real tight under the ribs tie it to the horn and lash the legs to the cinch buckles on opposite sides. But its not a equal or clean load. It wont go anywhere. But paniers work easier. And any big bear is a hassle to load and may excede ideal weight if its a long or steep trip back. Mostly its just hoisting them up and getting them tied down alone is a job.
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:37 am

I still havnt figured out a really efficient way to load a 200 pound or bigger bear on my mule...im thinking about a pulley or block and tackle from a big limb above...i realize this is alot harder than it sounds so i was curious if anyone had better ideas or any other thoughts?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:16 am

Not really . if you dont have trees or plenty of help. Cutting it up or travois style is about all that works for much distance. A heavy tarp or similar item with a board or limb through one end can be pulled behind a horse or mule a reasonable distance. On warning is work on this some before trying it. Even animals used to packing game might perceive a animal dragging along behind them and perhaps bumping into them on down hill slopes as threatening.
dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Huntallthetime, where you hunting in va? I have a couple buddies that have been bear hunting off their mules for a couple years now and had a lot of success. I agree completely with you it’s fairly unheard of in va. I’ve got a 4yo John mule I’m breaking riding with my squirrel dogs and will eventually coon hunt off of. Haven’t had him out bear hunting yet though. I know I’ve had a ball fooling with him. As to your other questions my buddies typically pack a rope with them and just drag the bear out, I believe they have draped it over their mules and carried them out as well but I haven’t personally seen how they do it. As far as calling dogs off, I free cast 3 coon hounds at once a lot by myself and they are all tone broke, after that they got pretty used to be called off the tree and then if I’m done I just keep an eye on them walking out, if they hit somthing red hot I just tone them, hasn’t ruined their drive to go or broke them off game yet.most All of my hunting is mountain hunting.
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:17 am

Hey dswish! If im not mistaken uv been with me and my hounds before to alot of tree or Bay up! Haha I believe I have a picture of your little daughter riding my mule to a tree!! (I didnt know u was on here)(if im right about who u are!! haha)
dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 am

Lol I’m everywhere, well knowing who you are now I can’t give any advice you’re way beyond what people on here will realize and cletus ain’t that green, that is compared to what I’m dealing with hahahaha. I got a lot of free time at work so I’ve got to find something interesting to read and pass my time, so here I am. If I can’t be hunting I might as well be reading about it. Shoot I’d just keep doing what you’re doing and maybe one day I’ll get a day off when it’s not raining buckets and I’ll go hunting with y’all. Actually I’ll holler at ya in the next day or so, little feller was talking about wanting to hunt this weekend if somebody was going to be out.
HuntAllTheTime

Postby HuntAllTheTime » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Hey swish i just got out of the woods...got soaked and didnt jump a bear...bring the kids on out...even if u cant get ahold of me u know the area il b...
dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Sounds good buddy I’ll holler at ya! Good luck next couple days if y’all go.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€