What options to include on custom truck box

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
Sinkingmoose
Facebook ID: 0

What options to include on custom truck box

Postby Sinkingmoose » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 am

Hello all, I am looking into buying a custom stainless steel dog box for my truck. I am going to put it in my 3500 on top of the drawers to clear the wheel wells so I have the full width of the bed to use. I am considering doing a box that is 60 inch wide, 48 inch deep and 28 inches high with two compartments and 3 head holes per side with a rig rack. I expect to fit 3 dogs per side. My dogs are around 65-75 pounds so the standard height 23 inches seems way to short for them to use the head holes. The total height of the box rig rack will be flush with my roof rack. I am thinking of adding a 22 gallon water tank as the center divider ( only needs to be 4 inches wide) and having sliding open/close ventilation along the back of the box along with the head holes that can be covered. If you could have any options for your dog box what would they be. What do you wish you had or things that you do have and recommend. Anything is possible now and I want to get this right the first time. Thanks.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
---Theodore Roosevelt
-Good Hunting, Kurt.
YotaDawger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: What options to include on custom truck box

Postby YotaDawger » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 am

Check out alder grove. He does an awesome job will make anything you want. And has lots of pictures of custom things he has built for um.
Gettin western !
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:35 am

You live in Texas, having water always available will make your dogs live longer and avoid kidney problems etc.

Having water where they know they can come get it quickly: I have seen them leave a race when it gets close to the truck; grab a drink and get back in the race. Exactly like a race car pit stop.

Also, many dogs die of heat. i have never known of one to die of cold unless it was already sick. In Texas, Keep your focus and priority on ventilation and access to air and water much more than shelter from cold.If You are giving the dogs room to stand up with head up, this helps a ton. Southern boxes are the tallest I have ever seen.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:43 am

The design Del Cameron has in his book, without the insulation works very good in Texas.
For three or four hounds, a chain with snaps across the bed, also works.
What I use is a 16' stock trailer, cut and move the divider gate towards the front so you have around three feet and add horse panel to keep the pups from getting out. Two four wheelers or two horses or mules will fit in the back. A large water tank will fit on top of the gooseneck and I add a valve to drain the water.
David is right, it's hot here and you will kill a dog quick, in a metal box. I know of several times when that has happen.
1whitedog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1whitedog » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:37 am

Anything from a chain to high end would work, what you have in the box is the most important. That being said i have been working on my perfect box design for months for a flat bed yota. 60 by 72. Make a list of the things you want to accomplish with your box and design around it. I hunt in Zero to high temp and humity and alot of distinct features but most important is match your needs. I have never hunted Texas but reasons that heat would be# 1 concern? My back section will be expanded metal with covers that slide over. Front section will be for rig dogs with a bunch of specialty design items that i picked up over the years. The back section will double as a place for young dogs to learn to ride with no worries of climbing out rig holes. Don't limit your self to looking at hound boxes for ideas. Would love to see more unique ideas people have incorporated like alot of sled dog pages where everyone posts their rigs.
floridacathunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000875297200

Postby floridacathunter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 pm

Just a suggestion, we have had some damage to our collar antennas from using expanded metal. The antenna goes through the diamond shaped opening and gets pulled into the "v". We use 2x4 galvanized bull panels. The openings are square and the rods are about 1/4". We also, don't have to worry as much about cold weather down here. Not sure, but might be some cheaper, too. I'll hush now.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Like David said someway to haul water.. wish I had a built in tank in mine with a spigot ... also just insulate the roof .. mine is and the hounds really stay cool in it ..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
1whitedog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1whitedog » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks for the insight on the expanded metal. I'll go with the bull panel
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:33 pm

No .. not an idiot just haven't been exposed to as much of this dry sun beat desert heat .. My box is made of steel plate so just like one of those storage containers it would of been just like an oven .. I keep sawdust or grass hay in the boxes and the boxes are plenty big ...if I have to I can load up all the hounds and they can stay comfortably ..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:02 pm

How did you insulate the roof?
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:42 pm

Henry David Thoreau
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Goose » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:13 am

I'm in the process of coming up with a new box design to fit OTr, and have been running the idea through my head of an insulated roof, I build custom metal buildings and use the low E insulation a lo, I'm considering sandwiching several layers of it between a piece of galvalume as the "ceiling" in the box and treated plywood covered in AstroTurf for the top, this's stuff is a little thicker and a higher R-value than bubble wrap type insulation...

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”