Anyone in Oregon

Talk about Coon Hunting
Cowboy ed
Facebook ID: 0

Anyone in Oregon

Postby Cowboy ed » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 pm

First timer just bought a Catahoula looking some advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Anyone in Oregon

Postby Goose » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Why a catahoula ?
Cowboy ed

Postby Cowboy ed » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Always wanted one. My grandpa had one when I was growing up and now I have the opportunity to have one.

Hunter12

Postby Hunter12 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04 pm

I have a leapord hound hound here in Oregon that I run on bobcats. Catahoula tend to be more stock dogs then hunting dogs unless used on pigs. What kind of advice are you looking for? Your on the coon section so my guess is that your wanting to hunt coon with your catahoula?
Cowboy ed

Postby Cowboy ed » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:42 am

Well I was wanting to know if there were any coon hunters in my area and if they would be willing to talk to me and maybe let me go out with them

Cowboy ed

Postby Cowboy ed » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:47 am

Any training tip for a better dog would also be greatly appreciated.

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 am

Are you close to the Willamette River? Or where do you live? Coon will sometimes spend the day sleeping deep in the blackberry thickets in river or backwater areas. It is ideal for training because there are usually small trees poking up through the blackberries. If your dog has any hunting drive at all, he will love exploring the trails under there; should bump into coon, and they will climb the little trees where you and he can see them. It’s perfect for training. The highest coon populations are IN the cities like Eugene.
Cowboy ed

Postby Cowboy ed » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info sir. I live in Troutdale

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 am

I never hunted that area, and my information is 35 years old. But my guess is the coon have not changed much and there should be plenty in the populated lowland areas. In the forest, they are very sporadic. But sometimes you find one where you would not expect it.

Politics have changed some though. If you don’t have one, I would recomend considering a good air gun. Even when you have permission to hunt a private place, you will probably be near people if you are in good coon numbers. There are some crazies out there. I have been approached by people who thought they would be a hero to god and their peers if they could just kill me, the evil hunter. Even some of the enforcers are educated in liberal colleges and have an agenda, and sometimes don’t know game laws regarding fur bearing animals. I have been harassed by them as well, when no laws were broken, and they were frustrated that they could not satisfy their anti-Hunting bias. Know your laws very well.
Cowboy ed

Postby Cowboy ed » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give me some guidance. I well most definitely look the laws up, is it more so the fact of hunting with a dog or feels for the coons.

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Cowboy ed

Postby Cowboy ed » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Indeed sir, wanted a good dog for the family and one we could take out and hunt.

SSdogger

Postby SSdogger » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:25 am

Cowboy Ed, I just moved out of Troutdale at the beginning of April. If you kind find a spot along the clackamas river, there is a decent population in tillamook walk the creeks.
Somewhere close to home, would be the sandy delta park right where the sandy runs into the Columbia. Not legal to hunt in there but you can have your dog run off leash and see if it has any interest in running coon. Now that the weather is nice there should be a lot of people leaving their picnic garbage out that will get them moving more freely.
Cowboy ed

Postby Cowboy ed » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Yes indeed we go there all the time, it seems like he may have something. Thing is when he gets the scent he won’t stay on it. He runs in the little paths but if I don’t fellow he will come back out. Not a [HUNDRED POINTS SYMBOL] that he is tracking coon I know he’s on something. Any advice and FYI he just turned 5 months.

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:55 pm

I don’t have any experience with that breed, but for some strains of dog five months is too young to expect a lot from the dog. I would be worried if it was a walker. But I think the catahoulas are bred to be more like a working dog that interacts a lot with its handler. I don’t know anyone who uses catahoula on coon, although I think I have heard of it. I don’t think all of them will tree bark or stay treed. But again I am talking without knowing much of anything about the breed.

Return to “Coon Hunting”