Dogs climes tree can u stop it

Talk about Bear Hunting
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Dogs climes tree can u stop it

Postby Bear hounder » Wed May 15, 2019 1:10 am

Hi guys just a question but is there anyway to train your dog's to not climb up in the tree with a bear I have 2 different dogs that are both climbing up into the tree it was kinda cool the first couple times but sometimes they get so far up the tree that I have to go up and bring them down before we shoot the bear because I'm afraid they are going to get broken legs or busted up inside if they fall out the bears kinda look at you funny when your helping a dog out of the tree I got one dog that goes higher if he sees me bringing the dog lead into the tree any old training tricks from you guys that will work or has anybody had this problem before I'm sure I'm not the only one with this proplem thanks

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Dogs climes tree can u stop it

Postby david » Thu May 16, 2019 3:08 am

One could say this is the worst fault a dog can have because most other faults don’t kill the dog. Plus the hunter puts his own life in danger at times trying to get the dog down. I still get a lump in my throat remembering one of those times. And it wasn’t my dog, I was trying to save another man’s dog. He was thirty feet up walking back and forth on an oak limb. I got him, but I was so close to falling several times it makes my teeth grind to think of it.

You need to break that dog of it. You need to make him think he is going to get killed if he keeps repeating that behavior, because he is.
I’m very serious. Consider him a lost dog that you might be able to save with extreme discipline measures. You might break him off treeing for awhile, but you need to decide if you want him cautious about trees or dead.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 am

Should be able to do it with an E- collar. Had a young dog worked his way into the middle of about 5 acre flooded high line bottom. When he noticed what he had done, he found a stump and sat down for the long haul. I was ready to go home. One bump with the e- collar and he slid off the stump and swam a straight line to the dog box. I suspect your dog would come down the tree The same way. I had a really good coon dog that fell and killed himself that way, not a good scene to watch.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu May 16, 2019 11:32 pm

If you want to help isolate the climbing behavior from the treeing behavior, tie a long check cord on him and stand back and wait for him to show climbing desire. Then as you shock him and scold him you can also jerk him out.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Fri May 17, 2019 12:59 am

I'm going to try those things thanks for the ideas the long check cord will help me I'm many ways thanks

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri May 17, 2019 11:31 am

Just a heads up: think about the effect on the other dogs when you are disciplining a dog (ALWAYS). I see this training mistake by people that have had hounds for decades. The other dogs next to him at the tree can hear the tone just as good as the target dog. Some dogs are smart and extremely tone sensitive. And they will hear your voice and see your actions. (There are also hard headed idiots that I would not worry about). Just something to remember. So, for example, I would not want to administer this discipline when I had a smart pup there just starting to show interest in the tree. I would try to get him tied way back somewhere so he is out of the action, or leave him home if you are planning on dealing with this.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 pm

I wouldn’t do anything till I walked to the tree and he is up. Do what you would do in the back yard to get him to come. David ,I’ve corrected the wrong dog by mistake a lot of times, young or old I can’t see any negative affect. As long as they associate e training with discipline I see no problem with their game getting desires.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat May 18, 2019 3:24 am

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat May 18, 2019 9:12 am

Dog disipline usually will ruin a hunt for me quicker than anything. I can only remember one dog I had like that and I gave her away. You can usually tell what you have to work with if you start in the back yard sitting on the tailgate and let the dog figure out the connection between you,him and the dog box and e- collar. I never could hunt any kind of a sensitive dog,don’t care how good they are. I’ve seen people stay with a dog like that,I guess it was their pick of the litter,but they never were worth the effort. Usually will transmit to their pups if bred.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun May 19, 2019 11:01 am

I get what you guys are both saying it is something I will do with discretion and instead of the beeb sound for tone I will use the vipration and the long check cord and I won't be to vocal about it if there are young dogs at the tree thanks for the help I'll let you guys know how it turns out

99nighttrain

Postby 99nighttrain » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:39 pm

I was shown to tie baler twine around just in front of the dogs haunches as soon as you get to the tree. I did this with a dog and it does help. It's just hard when you can't get to the tree right away. You're probably in the same boat as me and it's too late.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:03 am

I remember a lot of guys with hard to catch fox hounds used to run them with a long piece of weed eater string attached to their collar as a check cord. Never heard any say they had a problem with it hanging up in thick brush, don't know if it would hang up in rocky terrain though.

Return to “Bear Hunting”