Telemetry Collar on a Bobcat?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
STX-Hunter
Facebook ID: 0

Postby STX-Hunter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:32 pm

I was looking at how long batteries last on telemetry collars and it got me to thinking. Has anyone ever tried trapping a bobcat and putting a telemetry collar on one? I was thinking if you could catch a couple and collar them, you could go out and locate them to try to get close enough to jump a track. Seems like a good way to train young dogs if you didn't have any older dogs to help you out. What do yall think?
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Telemetry Collar on a Bobcat?

Postby Nolte » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:51 pm

Have ya ever tried to handle a wild barn cat? Add some lbs and pissier attitude. I just envision the whole handling thing going badly.

Plus, don't think its legal to affix a tracking collar to a wild critter unless its part of a legitimate tracking study. Heard of some guys that did just what you're saying to a yote in wi years back, got them a nice ticket if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
STX-Hunter

Postby STX-Hunter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 pm

With enough nylon rope you can do anything. lol I was wondering about the legality of it though
Lionandboarhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Lionandboarhunter » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Lionandboarhunter on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:01 pm

Definitely very illegal in my state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:37 am

I worked on a bobcat study in the Cascade mountains in western Oregon where bobcat were trapped or treed darted and collared. It was fun and very interesting for me. It proved a lot that I believed about bobcat movement. There active times of movement one hour before and after day light morning and night, movement before a major storm front and movement during breeding season. Average home range of ten to twelve square miles with over lapping of home ranges. They moved at night in open timber and day moments were usually in heavy cover. I have a copy of the study that was done. I will have to get it out and reread it it,s been awhile sense I have looked at it. See if I still think they got it right after all these years. Dewey
puma sj
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby puma sj » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:55 pm

dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:52 pm

What we saw was a lot of over lapping. Litters of kittens would stay or share the areas with there mothers. All of the bobcats over lapped on travel ways [ridge tops or valleys]. They shared major hunting areas during winter stress times. During breeding season the toms would make big lops out of home areas. In some areas like the southeast you can see densities of bobcats around 4 per mile. I think studies are showing both bobcats and lions can or do concentrate more than what was believed in the past. That said both will kill you're males. Dewey
BSheets

Postby BSheets » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:07 am

I have heard of someone putting a garmin collar on one and turning it loose and then waiting a few hours and turned a young hound loose. I would imagine it not being legal but he said it worked well for training his young dog.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”