rig box roof material

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
Gthawk
Facebook ID: 0

rig box roof material

Postby Gthawk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:38 pm

looking to build a rig box in next few months. what is the best material to use? rubber or carpet or spray on bed liner? any ideas welcome. thanks
bearsinva

Re: rig box roof material

Postby bearsinva » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:08 pm

I would say you will be happiest with the bed liner providing it gives sufficient traction so the dogs aren't constantly slipping and falling. Never seen rubber used. I have outdoor carpet on the roof of my dog box and really like it but I don't rig dogs on it and I feel sure it would be a real pain to clean after the dogs dumped on it. If you go with the liner I would try to find a color that might not get as hot in the sun as black. Just my thoughts and good luck with your box.
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:32 pm

I like carpet. But that's all I've ever used, and pretty much all I've seen used
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:38 am

I have used all those mentioned in the past. The last wooden box I used asphalt roof adhesive and placed asphalt roofing shingles over the adhesive. I did not lap the shingles. That was about eight years ago, the box has not leaked and the 3-tad shingles provides excellent traction for the dogs feet. The adhesive & shingles were left over from a small roofing job, if I was building another box would use the same top. Good luck Al
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:58 am

That green outdoor carpet/ grass looking stuff has sure been used a ton. It can be sprayed off with the hose when needed. I have seen it in brown also.

I have used a rubber stall mat like what you can buy at a feed store. It is very stable durable and the dogs feel very secure on it. It is probably the best thing for traction that I have seen. It can look kind of classy if done right. But it is extremely heavy (about 1/2” thick) and it is black. I suppose it could be painted white in the summer, but I never thought of that till just now. It does provide insulation from cold.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:13 am

If you know anyone that works on the pipelines you might can see if they can get you some of that rot shield they wrap the pipe in, I’ve only seen it in yellow color but it makes a great rig Mat and if installed with a little thought can be easily taken off and hoses down...
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 am

A dog can rig out of the box as well as on top. A good one will rig in the box crowed with other dogs and that rig is usually one you can start.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:18 pm

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:20 am

Al, I never have been much of a rigger, I had rather road. I found rigging to be up and down to much for me. I’m hunting 6 dogs now and I think all will rig out of the box. Not sure because I can’t recognize each dogs voice in the box. A rig for me is a box blow up, when I do stop and put down they have no problem running . Don’t believe mine will rig one they can’t run.

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”