A Legend Passes

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: A Legend Passes

Postby david » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:45 am

I don’t know where you could find either one of the books. But I sure appreciate your words and we just do the best we can with imperfect tools like human language. But like you say, I have heard people a whole lot smarter and more aware than me say: for every physical, visible reality, there is an unseen, spiritual parallel. And I agree, when I try to put those lenses on, everything points to the creator and our redeemer. Everything.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Yes sir

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
mudflap
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mudflap » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 am

I had the pleasure of meeting Del about 14 years ago when I went up to Stevensville and bought a pup from him. I thought he was as straightforward and honest as a man can get,especially in the hound world it seems.He invited us in for coffee and we talked dogs and hunting for quite a while and then went outside and got a tour of his kennel and the pups that were available, I don’t know which was better,I could’ve stayed inside and listened to his stories all day long,but with an 18 hour trip home we had to get down the road.Of all the road trips I’ve been on to get dogs it will definitely be one I’ll never forget.Rest In Peace Del
James Rodrigues
mudflap
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby mudflap » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 am

Anyone looking for Del’s book go to Double U’s website and it says they have paperback copies available
James Rodrigues
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 am

I wrote stories in FULL CRY for probably about 30 years.I always loved to read Del's column because he could paint a story in your mind .He was not only a great hunter but a great writer as well.
I remember getting my magazine and eagerly turning to Del's article. Lo and
Behold! Del went from telling hunting stories to preaching,I was pi**&@!
I told my hunting buddy I would NEVER read his stuff ever again. I still don't know exactly why but I didn't keep that promise. I was drawn back to his column and curiously read and studied them.I'm very skeptical and not to trusting of people but somehow ,down deep I knew I could trust his words and that Jesus was as real as you or i,because of Del I became a believer and accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior!I don't claim to be a good person but certainly better than I was. Do I owe Del my life? No! I owe him my soul!
RIP DEL ! I hope and know you still listen to the roar of the Blue dogs in Full
Cry, from your perch on God's balcony !
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:55 am

I never did get to meet Del Cameron, and I wish I could have. I have enjoyed reading his book many times over. And am lucky enough to have a dog that is half his blood and half Boone's blood. He is the most favorite dog I have owned for multiple reasons, and is one heck of a hunter thanks to great breeding on both sides. Every time one of the great houndsman passes I kick myself in the pants for not learning more from them, or even getting to meet them at all. Outside of hunting, one of my favorite things is to just sit and listen to someone who hase hunted their whole life. And irritate them by asking too many questions. I wish I could have done that with Del Cameron. And it reminds me that there are some that I need to make the opportunity to go see before it's too late.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:04 am

That is a nice testimony you shared bludog thanks for sharing it and thanks for the other nice words from the others I appreciate the tip on how to get a copy of dels book mud flap thanks again I'll be ordering one or 2

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:37 am

What makes a man a legend ?

Well I'll tell you a storey I was going to pick up my boys from a few days of hunting in a camp north of us and the boys were younger then. Paul was 13 I think and timbit was only 8 and was a cross between the energizer bunny and a talking question asking machine. Lol but the older sesond men allowed the boys to come to there camp and hunt with them for bear and I considered both these older men to be legends in the bear hunting and hounds already but after hearing the stories around the camp and so on I knew that the boys had had a time of hunting and learning they would never forget and that these 2 legendary bear hunters probably had a hunt they would not for get either lol but on my way out the bush in the truck as I listened to my 2 sons talking excitedly of all the things that had happened I relized somthing I said boys someday you guys will be able to say you hunted with 2 men that were bear hunting legends and I told my son's then some day they will right about these to men and there hunting hounds and you will be able to say that you hunted with this guy's isn't that cool .
BUT THEN ANOTHER THOUGHT CAME TO ME IT WAS A QUESTION WHAT MAKES A MAN A LEGEND.

And then came the answer with it

IT IS NOT WHAT A MAN DOES IN HIS GENERATION THAT MAKES HIM A LEGEND IT HOW HE SHAPES THE NEXT GENERATION THAT DEFINES A LEGEND

I say all that to pay tribute to the fact that del was truly a legend in his generation and and will continue to be and how else would we honor such a godly man except to say to god be the glory

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 pm

Bear hounder that's a pretty good definition of a legend. Thinking about it that way I guess I was fortunate to know and have some local legends as mentors. They, like Del, were God fearing men. One of them was like a grand father to me. His name was Willard Bush. Willard and Del had so many parallels as I read the tributes to Del. Willard was a student of everything he did. It didn't matter if it was horses, dogs, chickens, welding, cowboying, he studied it and was successful at it and was humbled in giving the glory to God. As a kid Willard gave me 2 large boxes slap full of magazines that I still have. Most of them are Full Cry but there are some that aren't. If I remember correctly some of those date all the way back to the 40's. I can remember when I started reading them thinking about how cool I thought it was that a guy could be an avid dog man AND be Godly at the same time. Knowing Willard was God fearing and then reading it with Del helped me to think it might even be the norm, that that's what good men did. They hunted with dogs and praised God. I read lots of Dels columns and enjoyed them and it's because of the gift of one of my legends that I got to experience it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Lawdog that is so cool and very powerful I just read that to my wife and kids around our table we all enjoyed that testomony very much .what kind of hounds did mister bush run . It sure is nice to talk with folks on here that are not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Like your self and David and others I am not good with names and don't want to leave anyone out but thanks to all you guys for being open and honest keep them coming thanks again

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Mr Bush was a coon hunter mostly. I think he had some of every breed at one time or another but his breed of choice was the walker. That's what he preferred hound wise. He also had Mt. Curs. I wish I knew how they were bred now. I know they were papered but I was a kid then and I'm 47 now. They were cracker jacks. I'm no "bible thumper" as they are so often called, but I have a tremendous faith. I don't think there is a God or that Jesus really walked this earth, I know it 100%. I've not had the worst life, many have and have had it worse, but I've been through some trying times where God definitely intervened. If he had not I would have probably went down a bad road. I have also lived for several years with an intestinal disease that impacts my life and everyone in it from daylight to daylight every day. It's what is supposed to kill me as long as I don't step out in front of a train. But, it hasn't progressed like its supposed to and that in itself is a blessing. The only 2 things we have in our lives that are necessity are God and family. Without either, especially God, we are in a bad way. My biggest reward in life came years after the actual event of going to church camp as a youth counselor. A lady from the next town saw my wife in the store one day and asked about me. She wanted to tell me thank you. They were having some major trouble with their daughter prior to church camp. She came home from church camp and they never had another minutes trouble from her. She's now married and a mother and a productive person. She told them that my testimony was the game changer for her and that changed her life. I'm sure Del is as proud of his accomplishments as I am that one. It's the only thing that supersedes the pride I have of my parents and my children. I hope my children didn't hear that lol. EVERYTHING I love is because of God's blessings, my family, my friends, my dogs, life!

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Amen that is truth out loud I love it

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Say does any one know we're del got his hounds from when he started breeding his own hounds and how long did he breed hounds for thanks

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:44 am

Most of the stories I’ve read about hounds landing in the hounds of people that carry them to a level of conversation by other hunters was not an accident but really wasn’t planned. Usually a relative or close family friend migrated to somewhere west of the Mississippi with their coon hound or hounds with them. Some young boy in the family became addicted and the story starts there. Much like when the eastern part of the US. I think most all hound started in a foreign country. I don’t now for sure but I think the English and treeing walker are the ones that were bred up here. I’ve noticed about all family named dogs start down hill with the death of the person who really believed in their ability. Usually the person was a hech of a hunter at one time and let the dogs he hunted tell him what to Breed to what to get what he wanted.
scottb
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby scottb » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:48 pm

Sugar creek blood was his main foundation if I remember correctly. He talks about it in his book. There's obviously more to it than 1 sugar creek dog

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€