About the field.

A place to Talk about Fox Hunting and Running Dogs.
HowardB
Facebook ID: 0

About the field.

Postby HowardB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:40 pm

Do field members ever have an opportunity to kill or take a fox or or they just along for the ride?

By the formal rules of fox hunting, what person is given the honor of causing the fox's death? How is he elected? May he keep the carcass as a souvenir?

I've been looking at a lot of fox hunting videos on the Toob lately and I haven't seen "bead nor comb" of any shotgun. It mostly looks like one big dog-and-pony show.

Unless there was a possibility that I might directly cause the death of fox, preferably red, with my own gun and keep the carcass, I don't think formal fox hunting would ever be my bag. Unless there is an objective to bring fox down to the gun I see no point in it.
America First
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: About the field.

Postby pegleg » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:37 am

There are many "points" in the sport. Friendship.exercise. etc. However the main "point" is the common enjoyment of hounds and horses. If your only interest is killing a red fox theres many ways to do that with much less cost and effort. And if hounds arent a interest to you why are you on BiggameHOUNDSmen, Out of curiosity?
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:50 am

I would definitely agree with pegleg on this. If killing an animal is your main goal and accomplishment, than hound hunting may not be for you. I'm not knocking a person that just wants to kill an animal. But hunting with hounds, no matter what the desired game is tends to have nothing to do with the actual killing of an animal. It's more about your dogs working and the quality that they do their job.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
BSheets

Postby BSheets » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:34 am

The point of tradition mounted fox hunting is not to kill the fox at all and if the fox is killed it is because the hounds catch it. Mounted fox hunting is a sport that is most often done by people with money and is more about horsemanship than the hounds.

Return to “Fox Hunting”