Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Let’s talk.

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:29 pm

You turds don’t talk too much… How about you and all your friends move your hound hunting related talking on to here, instead of giving those main stream commies your business!!! Talk on here to preserve our way of life!!! The anti hunters on fagbook will just use your pictures and videos against us somehow.
Shame your friends into talking on here instead of mainstream social media, if that’s what it takes... This is where we belong!

How’s your day going?
What game do you hunt?
What type/breed of hound do you hunt?
Been huntin lately?
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:53 am

I have never had Facebook or any other social media, I guess besides this site. I really enjoy the discussion and info I read on here. A lot of you convey things better than me but I try to contribute when I feel I can. Really wish the discussions would pick up So! So... I hunt a bit of a mixed pack, mostly treeing walker a English dog and a plott. They are used to chase lions, Bobcats, bears, and occasionally coons. I like running bobs the best but guiding lion hunters cuts into that and our bobcat numbers seem to be way down in the areas I hunt. We only can run cats December 1st to April 14th here in montana so I haven't had the dogs out much. I did have a buddy run them a few times this summer in Idaho but getting to hot and smokey to even do that. Definitely ready for cooler weather and some kitty cats in the snow.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:19 am

Yes sir, I deleted my FB the first of the year because of the sickening communist bias. Now I’m solely on here. I’ve learned quite a bit from everyone on here, about lions. I barely knew how to find a lion track and now I can find crossings and scrape trees. If it wasn’t for the lion hunters on here, I’d still be snow hunting. I haven’t been hunting much this summer, but that’s because it’s my busy season and it’s hot. I’m afraid to over heat my hounds. I think I’ll wait until the highs are in the mid to low 80’s before I start day hunting. I’m high desert hunting in Nevada, I’ve been piecing together dry ground blood from a few different bloodlines. It’s been a long road. Now California’s on fire and smoking us out! The forest service needs to get their act together and quit managing fires!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:31 am

We are covered with smoke from California, Idaho, and fires around here. You dry ground guys have to be the most patient hunters out there. Our snow conditions were terrible last winter but my dogs showed me they don't need it but I sure like seeing exactly what I'm running and which direction its going :lol: summer is my busy season as well but I try to get out and exercise the dogs when I can.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:44 am

The smoke is thick here. Visibility is only a mile or so this morning. I’m still learning my patience. Our snow was minimal the past 2 years. I’m hoping that changes this winter.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:12 pm

Rowdy what or who got you started chasing lions?
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:59 pm

Actually, my older brother was a hunter, he learned to hunt from his mother’s dad. Our dad didn’t hunt. He started telling me about hunting and that he’d take me hunting when I got old enough. I can remember being a kid back in the early 90’s and learning about lions. Then lion hunting was banned in California. So I grew up wishing I could hunt them. I got into hog hunting when I was 18 and had a darned good time doing that. Back in 2019 the wife and I fled Commiefornia, out to Nevada and I tried to get my hog dogs to trail lions. But as we all know, that’s like trying to race a thoroughbred with a donkey. My Catahoula mutts had no chance. A good buddy of mine from where I used to live in baby Russia (Cali), is a houndsman. He set me up with a couple pups from a litter he had. That first winter, I was able to get on a couple cats and they flailed around with them, but learned a ton. My buddy let me borrow the mother to those pups because he felt bad for me, starting from scratch. Because of her, they put a couple in trees for me last year. Those pups I got are 2yo now and doin real good.

I haven’t had a real mentor, I almost always hunt alone. I have talked to a few guys on here and I talk with my buddy back in California. That’s where I started gleaming information on how to find sign. Other than that, it’s been lots of hard, hard miles.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:00 pm

How about you?
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:41 am

I grew up in Eastern Ohio and fell in love with hunting dogs the first time I ever saw a beagle. Growing up without a father I was fortunate to get to tag along with some beaglemen and I just loved it. Had a few of my own and a bird dog over the years. Kind of went down the wrong road in life after high-school and got away from hunting and fishing. I took a job with an outfit in montana that didn't pan out but I stayed here and met a guy who said he was a "lion hunter ". I hunted with him long enough to know he didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground about training any type of dog. We were still catching some cats though. Even though my first lion chase only lasted maybe 40 minutes then his dogs chased deer for 5 days in 20 below weather i was hooked, but started going and helping the guy he got his dogs from instead. Chasing cats quickly became more than a hobby even though I didn't have my own dogs. I would be out everyday even if Bob couldn't go I took the dogs and tried. After 4 years of being promised a pup to no avail I bought a lightly started English dog and away I went.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:10 am

That’s a heck of a life path man!
I left home at 18 and started as a wrangler for an outfit out of Colorado. They taught me to hunt elk and mule deer, then I started guiding hunters. I was just a kid and I’m thankful he gave me a chance. I worked for him for a few years and I burned that bridge because I was a mouthy kid. I didn’t deserve the chance he gave me, but I’m thankful he did. I learned more than I deserved to learn. If it wasn’t for my dad taking care of my dogs half the year while ai was out being a pain in the ass, I wouldn’t have kept with hound hunting.
Now I’m a grown up and have a family. I’m trying to learn how to be a true houndsman and train good dogs as I go.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:30 am

Rowdy I agree about the FB devils. I’m on a couple of hunting forums and that’s the extent of social media for me. There are times when I wish I had it to be able to look and communicate with different hunters and breeders but I just can’t make myself do it. It wouldn’t be so bad if people did feel
like they had to put every little detail out there for the public or like you said post stupid pictures. Too many of those type of people think it makes them look tough or macho. They are the same ones that will ruin whatever they choose to be a part of because they aren’t doing it for the right reasons. They are the same ones you can’t tell or teach a thing to. I’m a born and bred Texan and a country bumpkin at that. I grew hunting and fishing some of everything. My dad has always been an over achiever at anything he did from his job to his animals. We always had dogs of some kind and my dad loves his game chickens to the point you can catch him with them riding around on his shoulder, lol. My passion was the dogs. I enjoyed riding and roping but let that go to try and be the best hog hunter I could be. I couldn’t afford to do both, lol. At 18 I was out on my own and paying my own bills. I wasn’t trying to get rich. I was trying to make enough money to feed myself and a set of hog dogs. At one point I had about 20 dogs that were everyone getting hunted regularly. My best friend and I started hog hunting together. We were extremely fortunate in the sense that everyone that we hunted with was old enough to be our dad and usually our granddad. We were smart enough to listen and learn from some knowledgeable and successful hunters where most other never had the opportunity to hunt with them because they couldn’t be told anything or were lazy. Those guys are all dead and gone now. I miss them everyday. I have one old hunting buddy in Florida still that is 85 and he’s had it rough this last year. He fell in a hole he was burning trash in and couldn’t get out. His little Yorkie saved his life by going and getting his wife, pretty awesome little dog. Then he fell one day trying to get up to go to the restroom on his own. He was still too weak and landed across his wheel chair and broke 3 ribs. If that wasn’t enough the COVID got him and almost took him out. His back was already shot from years of rodeoing, hard work, and cross country truck driving. He’s a hell of man and just as good a friend. I could call him from anywhere anytime and tell him I needed him and he’d be on his way. I’ve had my own dogs for 30 years now. For about 25 I’ve been raising a catahoula/treeing walker cross. I don’t have the best or know it all but I sure enjoy the heck out of them. When the day comes that I’m not proud of what I’m hunting behind I’ll start over. True dog men or people that aspire to be are dinosaurs today. That’s the other thing we have going against us. Even some of the people I know have taken dogs that were cut to a vet but….. the dogs cut(s) were days old, or the dog was still healing from old cuts that weren’t taken proper care of, or the dog is eat up with fleas, or bed rail poor, or all of the above. I try real hard to help anyone that asks for it in any way I can. I try just as hard to make hard on the guys that have no ethics or love for the sport. Not a trash talker or a fella that makes threats. Most anyone around here knows that about me and I’m a straight shooter. So most times the yahoo’s that don’t want to do things right won’t come around or ask for advice lol. That’s fine with me, probably better for both of us that way. I learn things from new and old hunters still today. I also love to read the conversations on these forums because so much correlates even when it’s a different discipline. My nephew is like a son to me and had been hunting with me since he was little. He’s now grown and a K-9 officer. He was so far ahead of the people that he was in K-9 school with because he had the understanding of dogs already. He knew what he was seeing before others and had an idea of what he was looking for in a dog before he got to the school. The dog he chose was a surprise to the staff. They didn’t figure the dog was going to make but we’re surprised at how the dog blossomed after he and my nephew started working together. They are doing great together now. I like good people. I get in trouble because it usually takes an hour to go get one item from the local Walmart. My boss lady says “if you hadn’t been running for Mayor you could’ve been back a long time ago”, lol. Anyway, I agree, y’all talk it up on here and keep teaching me stuff. I love to read about your hounds, hunts, and breeding philosophies, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:54 pm

LawdawgHarris- Ha ha ha runnin for mayor. Some people just have the gift of gab. I’m not one of them… I sure wish I had a mentor for lion hunting. I’m flailing around like a kid learning how to cast a pole. I’m slowly getting it down though.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:42 am

Those hard lessons learned are lessons not easily forgotten! It may be a slower process but you’ll appreciate it that much more. I tell my boys all the time, the people that are really good or great at what they are doing, aren’t that away by accident. They are students of whatever it is they are great at. They study it, they eat, sleep, and breathe it. It’s a passion and they enjoy it so it isn’t boring or a bother to them.

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:33 pm

I started out hunting with any gps or telemetry at all, Bob would turn the dogs out and say go get my dogs and don't come back without them lol. Spent many nights hiking into them well after dark. I ended up buying a garmin system before I had my own dogs to cut down some of the extremely long hikes. But I will say that I learned a lot following those dogs tracks through the snow and saw a lot of things that lions do that I rarely see anymore with the gps allowing me to take tremendous short cuts. But I wouldn't give up the peace of mind it gives me knowing pretty much where they are all the time. We use to spend quite a few days and nights hunting for lost dogs and they definitely spent plenty of nights in the woods. But I really glad I had the opportunity to learn to lion hunt being dragged through the mountains by a dog or 2 on a leash while the 1 dog he decided to turn loose that day ran the cat. Bob and I rarely hunt together anymore due to me not being willing to do it his way anymore but I'm forever indebted to him for the things he taught me and places he took me!
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:43 pm

I didn’t have a tracking system for a long time after I started either. We hunted on foot and tried not to let the dogs get out of hearing. We were in pretty good shape in those days. You’re right too, getting off the buggy and in the woods makes a world of difference. I get out and walk a lot of times when and the youngsters don’t get it. I let the dogs leave and then I start walking the direction they left in. I learn a lot about what a hog has or is doing on top why the dog(s) are doing what they are doing. The gps will show what they are doing but not why. Knowledge is power as they say.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”