Let’s talk.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:29 am

Man thats a great cat! Congrats!! Lawdawg is it still deer season or u back to hunting?
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:14 pm

That’s a big cat! Congrats

We have a couple weeks of youth season here still. I consider it over. Heck the kids are back in school from holiday breaks so they can’t be hunting during the week days. So trying to slip off and make a few hunts during the week. We’ve got the go ahead from some of the places already. I’m ready to be able to get back after them. Because of the drought we had this year, a lot of these cattlemen were more concerned about grazing than deer hunters. So they had us come hit the hogs because they were just turning their pastures upside down. I think we caught about 30 hogs during deer season which is good for us because we don’t hardly get to hunt during season anymore. We could’ve caught more I think but once you catch a few they get to moving out so we would have to tone dogs back so they didn’t get somewhere that someone was going to have a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:10 pm

Thank you! I way under estimated his size. He’s got a huge head, it’s bigger than mine! I figure he’s in the 5-6 years old range. I’m gonna take him in today to get tagged. They’ll pull a tooth and I might hear back about how old he is. I’ll have ask about out how I find that out.

I’m just really excited that my mutts are doing good. It’s been a long haul getting them this far. I have everyone and their cousins wanting to come hunt with me now…. No one wanted to come the past 4 years and now the dogs are catching game and everyone is hitting me up lol.
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:44 pm

Rowdy, that’s so awesome. I think most people will never understand the satisfaction of the process of training dogs from pups to successful hunters
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:47 pm

Nufo- you’re absolutely right! If it was easy everyone would be doing it lol. I have a feeling it’s going to be a long battle on the dry ground also. I’m trying to get these dogs all the experience I can before the snow melts.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:55 pm

Lmbo funny how money or success will bring’em out of the “wood work”.

I don’t know if you know of Bart George, but he hunts nuisance lions for the Government. Bart is a great guy, a friend of mine and comes down and hog hunts with us now and then. He has shown me several awesome pictures and videos. I don’t know if there’s anything that’s any prettier or majestic than a big ole chuckleheaded tom. One day I’m gonna make it up there to hunt with him.

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 pm

Ain’t that the truth, Law Dog! Only two guys came out and hunted with me before this. And only one of them came out more than one time.

I can’t say that I know of him. But yes, they’re so darned impressive and intimidating. This one has huge paws and when I saw the size of his claws while he was moving around in the tree, damned sure intimidating! 170 pounds of pure badassery!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:03 pm

Rowdy i always like when people say i want to tag along, what they really mean is jump in your truck go along 1 time, kill a cat and thats the end of it. We don't shoot many at all, even Bobcats just enjoy treeing and leaving them to chase again. Make sure to measure that skull and let us know how big he is! Lawdawg thats great you've been getting the dogs on some hogs!
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:27 pm

That’s the way I am Beebout-it. I don’t care to shoot one but I’d sure like to see some in a tree with the hounds singing to it. I can understand shooting them out too, especially for the young dogs.

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:34 pm

I guide a few hunts a year and we only harvest toms. My 14 year old is chomping at the bit to kill 1 but I won't let him shoot just any cat. If u ever wanna come up to montana and tree a few your welcome anytime.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:44 pm

Bee- I rough scored him after a buddy sent me the instructions on how to measure them. He’s about 15 and 3/8”. He said I need to have him officially scored because he’s big. So I’m cleaning the skull right now and I’m going to get him scored.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:19 am

Thats great! Its got to dry 60 days before an official score can be done.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:44 am

Bee- Thank you. Do I need to get it green scored to start the clock on that 60 days?
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:07 am

Thank ya for the invite. Your welcome to come hunt Texas hogs too.

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:41 am

I don't think so but green score can't hurt. Law definitely will be making a trip to chase some lions with my buddy down there in the near future and will definitely take u up on seeing them hog dogs git after it!

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”