sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Let’s talk.

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:36 pm

Had a strange one the other day, walked into a treed lion and as im walking up i notice my little gyp i call dutch is bleeding pretty good from just below her knee on the front of her left leg. From there down is solid red. Every dog at the tree has blood on them but I quickly discovered it was just from her jumping on the tree and getting it on them. I didn't think much of it, took a few pics and we hiked out to the sled which was only 300 yards away. Dogs had to run about 2 miles to the truck because I hadn't hooked up the pull behind. Get back to the truck and no dutch, check the gps and she was 700 yards back she had bedded down under a tree so my buddy grabbed her while I got out the first aid kit to wrap her leg. Get it all wrapped up and put her in the box and just as we are about to roll out to go run another track we had I look in and her head is hanging and she isn't really all there. I pull her out and try giving her some Jerky and it just falls from her mouth everytime I put it in. I throw her in the cab and haul ass to service to let my vet know I'm on the way, by the time I get to service she has tipped over and is not responding to me at all. Head is limp in my lap and I can't see any sign she is breathing . I jump out and go around to pull her out the passenger side door before her Bowles let go and when I grab her leg she gulps in a breath. For some reason when I was in my kit I had noticed my wife had put some packets of honey in there and I couldn't figure out why but for some reason I thought what can it hurt. I put the honey in her month and in maybe 5 seconds she was scarfing down the jerky and completely back to herself. I call the vet, which is where I got dutch from in the first place and she says well she must have got extremely low blood sugar from blood loss. I'm like......do I need to bring her there.....or she be good and I can chase this other lion? I had no intention to run dutch but after being told in absolutely no uncertain terms to not run dutch we went and treed the other cat and dutch is still with us :lol:
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:04 pm

Sure glad your wife is smart! Many times dogs that get cut, or suffer some sort of trauma like that after that sort of energy out put don’t make it because of that very thing. The low blood sugar is actually what gets them. I keep a bottle of dextrose in my cut box. If one gets cut really bad or I have one that gets too hot, I will give them a shot of dextrose and water under the skin on the back of the neck. If you have a bag of IV fluids you can start an IV but if you have them anywhere but in the vehicle with you, it’s probable that that dog or another one will pull the IV out. I’m sure glad you saved her. I’m glad you got a couple treed too.

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:26 pm

Beebout-it how is you gyp doing?

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:48 pm

She's doing just fine, left her home about a week but just to let the small wound heal over, I was informed that she had nicked an artery. I had to run her in the next day because her foot swelled to about four times its normal size, but that was because I only wrapped the wound and needed to do her foot and leg to keep it from swelling.
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:18 am

Glad to hear it

Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:32 pm

Yesterday I took a buddy out hunting. I had to add that hunting part. I was gonna just put “I took a buddy out” but then I realized that could sound gay and we wouldn’t want that happening lol.
So we went out to the same area I killed my tom 3 weeks ago. Cut an older track that had a couple inches of snow in it. It did snow that morning so it might have been an over night track. But they buried their heads in it and started working it. They worked it from 9:30 until 2:00 and took it about 2 miles. They worked their butts off! The snow was a foot to 18” deep.
They took it off the mountain to a little knob over looking a new subdivision. Now we’re about 1/4 mile from houses and they’re in rock bluffs. I only had my 4 males out so I packed in my females. That was a big mistake. Stormy hauled ass to them then immediately came back, bringing Lester back to the truck. Then she runs back to the bluffs gets Blue and brings him back! I’m now heated as hell. I’m shocking dogs and throwing snow balls at them. Then Blue yips and here comes Buck and Sam because they hear the yip. I’m steamin mad now and head to the bluffs. By time I got there, they stomped out every track I might have found.

I made a couple circles and couldn’t find where that lion slipped out. I circled that knob and the one behind it. Then I checked the track in, thinkin it had back tracked once they jumped it out of its bed. Nothin! Not one track leaving those bluffs. I let my hot head get the best of me and didn’t scour the bluff. After talking with a buddy he’s convinced that tom was hiding right there somewhere. He’s probably spot on and my stupid butt couldn’t see it.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:28 pm

HOUND DOGS!! Take you from being so proud your walking on top of the clouds then the next moment yank the cloud out from under you to the point you wanna grab the pistol shoot every dog and take up ice fishing :lol: I had a good day today, found a lion first thing turned out the 3 youngest females and they start trailing up this open ridge giving no mouth whatsoever, I pull 300 yards up the road and there's the track cross the road, dump the 2 older dogs and they draw the pups back in, cat crossed that road 3 more times before we treed in waist deep snow. Checked a few more roads on the way home and ended up getting a nice bobcat put up as well!
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:09 am

You say that like you’ve experienced it before, Bee! Ha ha ha.
I’m glad you’re having luck man, young dogs need game!
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:17 pm

I couldn’t pick you out of a line up, but I can sure envision you being that mad lmbo. I think we’ve all been down that road and will likely go down it again as long as we have dogs. Wives and children can make ya feel that same way. No matter how much training you’ve put into’em, they just gotta try ya. Glad you had a good follow up hunt though.

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:02 pm

Oh for sure rowdy, don't know how many times I've came home and the wife says how was your day and all she can understand is im shooting every dog we have because of something stupid they did, and everytime she says Jesus they caught 3 cats yesterday give them a break! Lol don't know how many times I've turned out a caged coon and didn't end up catching it,man oh man does that piss me off. I did something I haven't in a long time, walked my youngest male on a lion track for about half a mile . Trailing was tough for him because the deer were walking over the lions track. Once we got it going back up the mountain he picked up the pace. I walked back and dumped in the 3 older dogs, lost communication with them so I drove into the next drainage and they were treed 90 yards off the road :D cat bailed twice when I got there dogs did great...good day!!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:38 pm

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:44 pm

That’s a good video. Just curious, does the dog staring at the at give much mouth on track?

Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:13 pm

He is just a bit over a year and I didn't start him or his sister till this season. He is very open once the track heats up and he has a big ol mouth treeing but the cat had him mesmerized for a second. His mother absolutely never opens on a track the instant I hear her or get a bark notification on the garmin I start hiking because she is treed!
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:01 am

I see. He looks mesmerized lol. Young dogs are funny sometimes.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”