Utah govt. redbone hunter 1980

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Utah govt. redbone hunter 1980

Postby david » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:38 am

Does anyone know of a government hunter that had a line of registered redbones back around 1980? I think he was in utah, but may have been in Nevada.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:38 am

Probably Phil Taylor of the Tropic area. Haven't heard of Phil for some years but I beleive he had a son that is still hunting some.

I have a couple of old Redbook annual breed books some place and Phil advertized in them.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
sheba
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby sheba » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:49 pm

Phil Taylor is his name and he lived in Fremont, Utah. There are several people still hunting his line of dogs
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:36 pm

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:38 pm

Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:43 pm

I only have a couple of them and they are pretty old. I was a memeber back in the late 70's when I was getting going with hounds. I had a few redbones and they were actually fairly common among hunters back then.

I had a little female I called Dolly that was just a steak on a cat she didn't weigh 40 pounds but had a high clear tenor bawl mouth. She got on a big boar coon one night in a stock pond and he weighed around 30 or maybe a little more and he drowned her. I got there as fast as I could hearing the fight but I was too late. Briar coon had held her under too long. I empty my pistol on him as he swam to shore shook off and headed back into the brush at a humped up gallop. I don't think I touched a hair from that range but I sure had the 22's whizzing around him. I should have had another dog along to help her but it just didn't work out that way. Anyway I tried a number of red dogs after that some from Blakesley, Droman Clouse,OW Hill, Coffman and Fred Moran but I never found another Dolly.

I will check for you.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

phil taylor

Postby hunt14 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Stan Mecham has ran dogs from phil over the years and I bought a female from Stan that has a little of Phils dogs in her. Phils dogs are heavy in the Blakesley bloodlines from what Stan said. He said he's had some real good ones from him other than they are so short haired. Phil is from Fremont and them guys up their in Green River and around there still run alot of Phils dogs.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 pm

Earl Hickey

Postby Earl Hickey » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:41 pm

I've hunted behind a couple of Phil Taylor redbones and they were nice dogs.

There was another trapper in that country that used to run Phil's line of dogs, not sure if he still does or not.

Kelly Jo Wright I think was his name. He might still have some of that stuff.

Some of them had some "growly" issues but nice dogs.
Average Joe
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Phill Taylor Redbones

Postby Average Joe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Phill has a son who runs his line of redbones. His name is Tom Taylor 801-201-1539 or try his email info@tntguidesandoutfitters.com
U.R.E.
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Utah govt. redbone hunter 1980

Postby U.R.E. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:42 pm

I hate to re-kindle such an old post but I would love to hear what folks have to say about this line of redbones.....

I spoke with Tom but would like to know if anyone has hunted around them and what they thought...
Ultimate Redneck Experience.

HUNT WHAT YOU LIKE, LIKE WHAT YOU HUNT
vaughndog
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby vaughndog » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:27 am

about ten years or so ago, we hunted a few of them from tom, they are real heavy in the blakesley blood as was mentioned before, the few i was around had plenty of ability but were more growly towards other pups i was working with, and hard to brake of that, put em down because i like to work lots of young dogs and can only tolerate so much, however he and several others have had great success from them, and we all have our different likes and dislikes, just my own experience with them, hope it helps.
Keep em Red

Postby Keep em Red » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:24 am

I actually have a couple dogs out of Phils old line he lives just up the road from me. Theyre heavy in both the Blaksley line and Timberchopper line. Phil's son Tom now has all of his old dogs and also the Govt hunter Kelly Joe as mentioned before. Theyre probably the best dogs I've ever hunted with! Put them on a track and they usually put it up a tree! I joke with Philip and tell him hes probably forgot more about hounds in his sleep than I'll ever know. Hes a great guy whose had great dogs and knows how to make a great hound.
Jordan Blackburn
I don't suffer from insanity . . . . . . I enjoy every minute of it!
Rylenut
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Rylenut » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:44 am

I know this thread has been layed to rest, but I better throw my two cents in.
My uncle had a dog named Rock, his sire was a red bone from Phil Taylor that was owned by Kelly Oppenhymer,( excuse my spelling, not sure if it's spelled right). The dam was a black and tan, that was Duncan on bottom and a Black and tan from Mike Leonard on top. Any how to make a long story short, this Rock dog was the best lion/bear dog I have seen. I hunted with this dog for a lot of years with my uncle (Lawrence May). This dog lived in Salina. He treed his last bear by himself at the age of 16, then lived another two years before finally passing away. If anyone knows or remembers this dog, they would probably agree he was quite a bear dog.
The greatest battles of life are fought out daily in the silent chambers of the soul.

David O Mckay

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”