Harder bear or bob dog

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Harder bear or bob dog

Postby coastrangecathunting » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:23 pm

What do you think is harder to make a do it all bear dog or a do it all bobcat dog? Im not talking about a a dog that catches one every once in a while im talking about one that when they open you are loading your gun.

J.C.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Harder bear or bob dog

Postby Nolte » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:49 pm

No doubt cat dog. It's not even close.
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 pm

The truely great bear dogs are just as hard to come by as truely great cat dogs.

But average bear dogs can catch a lot of bears where as average cat dogs won't catch many cats. So I would give the nod to cat dog for that reason
Last edited by Big Mike on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003782841530

Postby Shorty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Well said Big Mike! I Agree.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:38 pm

This is my perspective from only hunting bears and cats here in WI.

Conditions greatly determine the amount of cat catching that is going on. Good bear dogs can/will catch the majority of bear in nearly all conditions. Phenomenal cat dogs will probably struggle in tough conditions. OK cat dogs will not have a chance without a lot of luck in those same conditions.

I've seen excellent bear dogs sold for a good amount of money. I've never seen an excellent cat dog sold.
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dads dogboy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:43 pm

To Quote Shorty "Well Said" to both Big Mike and Nolte!

C. John Clay
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:47 pm

I have seen some really good bear dogs turn into so so bear dogs in a few seasons or a few races at that. I have never seen a really truely great bear dogs change other than when they are cold and stiff.

Cat dogs or super dry ground lion hounds are extreemly hard to find. You see a lot of lion hounds that can catch at times even on dry ground but those truely superior dry ground lion dogs are in the same class as top bobcat dogs. Damn scarce as are real bear dogs.

So you tell me how many top shelf bobcats dogs have you owned or sold? Bear dogs?Bare Ground lion dogs?
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Big N' Blue
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Big N' Blue » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:44 pm

When i have a dog that suits me. he is not for sale. If i have one that does not suit me i will give him to you if you beat me to my pistol.
SECOND NATURE
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SECOND NATURE » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:00 pm

"IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENGLISH RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG"
NITE CH CH PR SECOND NATURES BUCK(RIP)
PR IDAHO LIGHTFOOT BLITZ RIP
PR SEC NATURES LIGHTFOOT BLUE CRUIZ
PR SEC NATURES LIGHTFOOT JESS
PR SEC NATURES LIGHTFOOT DADS BRAVEHEART
SEC NATURES EMMA

twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:40 pm

I would have to say bobcat dog. I have seen some great bobcat dogs but have yet had or seen one that when they open you better load your gun as there are none that are 100% for sure, I have had a million races look like there is no way for Mr bobcat to go anywhere but up a tree and then Bam my ego is busted. Bobcat dogs are few and far between but there are NONE who catch every cat. later Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
Dads dogboy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dads dogboy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:24 pm

Amen Twist!

Dad has Hounds as good as anybody, & he is quick to say he ain't caught till you have your hands on him. , We have had a Cat bayed in the BAD BAD briars and still have it slip out and go up a tree. Another was bayed, slipped out, hit a creek and was gone gone gone!

There is only one man we know who says his Hounds had caught every Cat jumped. To quote another NC Cat Hunter who knew this man real well, "The Truth ain't in him".

Mr. Mike as I said earlier in talking about "Complete" Cat Hounds, over 57 years Dad has had 6. He has had lots of Top Hounds but these 6 were in the top ranks in all the ways you would rank a Cat Hound and as stated 3 were great treedogs as well.

I know there are top Cat dogs sold for lots of money, but here in the South it is getting harder and harder to find the kind of prospect that will make this kind of Hound. The Fox/Coyote Pens have led to the demise of the Running Dog like the Nite Hunt has hurt the Treedog folks. The few really top Hounds we know of are the products of long term breeding programs. From what I am reading on here the same holds true for the Snow/Treedog type Bobcat Hunters.

Good Running to All!
C. John Clay
Dads Dogboy

PS Until the FL. Fish and Game closed their season Dad and his neighbor had a top Pack of Bear Hounds. Two of which were white & lemon Clay Hounds.
C. John Clay
diamondctv@aol.com
870-223-2063
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm

in my opinion cats are harder to catch no matter where they are or what the conditions are . so top cat hounds get my vote
Tim Pittman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Tim Pittman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:33 pm

Naturally I agree with Mike and Shorty both.But I'd have to add that We are all better off trying to build a complete pack,than focusing on individuals who can do it alone[because some guys might die of old age or some of us time might run out early before we find an individual or another individual to do it all].If a guy mixs and matches dogs right to compliment one another where one is a little weaker the other is stronger I believe it'll come together alot faster.But only breed the most complete individuals a person has if they honestly meet our own personal standards.
Tim Pittman
Tim Pittman 541-912-6464
doug
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby doug » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Good advice Tim. Cat dog gets my vote,but a great dog of either kind is nice to have.
spruce mountain
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby spruce mountain » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:22 pm

My vote is bobcat dog.Pretty much every thing has been said that needs to be said.
Its a dam poor women who cant support a man and a pack of hounds.www.sprucemountainhunting.com

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”