HUNTIN ALONE;

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
arizonabeagle
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

HUNTIN ALONE;

Postby arizonabeagle » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 pm

just seein who hunts alone..Zach, who was my only huntin buddy around here moved back to indiana monday
i've hunted before by myself, just me and gunner..and i'm not real sure what to do lol.

soo, if any guys in AZ around here, i live in the valley, queen creek, are up for some rabbit chasin come winter let me know..i'll have my dodge runnin so i'll be able to travel further..the nissan aint hte most reliable piece of machinery
let me know guys
Mike
:beer
hank taught me just how to stay alive, you'll never catch out the house without my 9 or .45. i got a big orange tractor and a diesel truck and my idea of heavens chasin whitetail bucks...
sheimer
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: HUNTIN ALONE;

Postby sheimer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:51 am

If it was me, I wouldn't get to worried about finding someone to hunt with. Some of the most rewarding hunting I have ever done was alone. It gives you the opportunity to hunt your dogs exactly as you please. Just be careful and let someone know where you are going and go prepared.

Scott
bearhntwi
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 623273062

Postby bearhntwi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:31 am

I prefer my own company more than that of others :D
Doogie
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Doogie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 am

did I miss the memo? when did peter cottontail become big game?
I ride the Leopard Cur short bus
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:14 am

I hunt alone most of the time and enjoy it. I have to admit it's not for every one but if your not out for bragging rights or to impress the boy's its pretty much the same with out the BS. Hunting with family is a highlight for me . The problem arises in most folks don't have a houndsmen's mentality so hound hunts are a solo affair for me. I would be up for a rabbit hunt if you want to show me the beaglers style :) I'm way south of you so couldn't make it often but if once in awhile is ok let me know.
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:03 pm

I hunt alone through the summers as I like to get up around 4:00 am and hunt til 8:30-9:00 am. This way I can avoid the 90 degree heat that will be around until midnight in the evenings. I can't get any of my lazy friends to go with me.
Adios,
Gary
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:43 pm

I hunt 80% with my family, my son (who is only six but really enjoying his new found passion of hunting), my brothers or my dad (who taught me a lot of what I know) and my wife and I road hunt once in a while, are my favorite hunting buddies, 10% with a few friends and 10% alone. I find it more rewarding to go with family, they have taught me that nothing beats the time you spend with them.
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
Ike

Postby Ike » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 pm

I have one of those Spots.. my wife bought it for me it works well most of time.. at least when I don't forget it in the truck.. The main thing is the peace of mind it brings when you have to lay out or don't get back when they expect you.. just press that I'm ok button..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
BuckNAze
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004263486897

Postby BuckNAze » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:08 am

Haha thats actually an awesome device! I told my wife about it, she said "oh great just a reason for you not to call me so you dont have to deal with me if you're checking in". Basically meaning trying to avoid talking to her because she would be annoyed if I was talking to her on the phone and was trying to explain to her why I would be later then I said I would.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:37 am

Hell I hunt alone even if I am with somebody. LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Ike

Postby Ike » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:13 am

BuckNaze, you must have better cell service where you live than we have or I would just rely on it. I've had dogs down a tom track all day and not had cell service, which was OK with my wife before that bear left holes in my upper arm. But the first time I didn't check in all day after that deal she about had search and rescue after me, so I picked up a spot check and she knows right where I am, and has a road map telling her how to get there. Can't beat them in my opinion...........

Hunting alone, if a guy ever falls and busts a leg or something he'd just have to crawl out or die. If you heard that deal on the news a few years back where that hiker in Utah had a rock pin his arm, was there several days and finally cut his arm off before he died and walked out....not a good thought. Had he had a spot check he could had pushed the 911 button and saved his arm.

ike
BuckNAze
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004263486897

Postby BuckNAze » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:23 am

Yeah I saw that story on T.V., that wouldnt be too pleasant but you got to do what you got to do I guess. No we have pretty bad cell service, its just hit and miss, most of my coon hunting spots, or at least one has really good service for some reason. All my bear hunting, etc. have 0 coverage. Some places its hit and miss but for the most part when you have 1.4 million acres to hunt it gets hard to keep track of me, especially during deer and elk hunting season! I am half thinking about getting it, at least the 2/yr deal then if I know I like it Ill keep getting it after that, if not then at least I tried it.
Spanky
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Spanky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:24 am

Scott Sciaretta

Groom Creek Kennels
www.Hounddawgs.net
Cedar Creek Outfitters
www.Cedarcreekmt.com

Leave it in the tree if you want to run another day!!!

RIFLEMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby RIFLEMAN » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:50 pm

I hunt by myself 95% of the time and love every minute of it. You can do what you want, when you want, how you want, and are able to enjoy the peaceful solitude of you and your dogs out in God's Green Earth.

I've always said that if you are not willing to do something by yourself, then you do not love it enough to do it at all. You can always distinguish the serious hunter (whether they are a houndsman, deerhunter, etc) from the casual guy because they will readily hunt by themselves...other guys hunt because that is what their social circle happens to do.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”