stephens curs

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

stephens curs

Postby blackpaws » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 am

any info on the stephens cur line for big game? the good and the bad.
Spanky
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: stephens curs

Postby Spanky » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Joe a good friend of mine right down the road runs only stevens curs on lion, bobcat and bear. He has friends in idaho that he gets them from. I guess like anything else you need to get the right strain.....
Scott Sciaretta

Groom Creek Kennels
www.Hounddawgs.net
Cedar Creek Outfitters
www.Cedarcreekmt.com

Leave it in the tree if you want to run another day!!!

bearhntwi
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 623273062

Postby bearhntwi » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Don Page in Idaho runs his strictly on bear and lion.You could try him.Otherwise Gary Faulkner in Boyceville,wi his curs have stephens blood also I believe.
The Ole' Guy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby The Ole' Guy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:29 pm

I owned Stephens dogs for years and was really happy with them.The only real bear dog i've owned was a Stephens,and the absolute best bear dog I've hunted with was also a Stephens.
They are pretty much the same as a hound,open mouthed and real tree dogs.they vary in size from really small to 50+ lbs. I had one that weighed 23# soaking wet that was as cold nosed as any dog I've seen,problem with her was she couldn't get through the snow. Though she wasn't a gritty dog she treed many bear by herself.
The good: They are as gamey as any,maybe more so,which brings the bad. They are the hardest dogs to get broken ( OK well bent) as I've been around. Though I know the guy Spanky referred to who hunts primarily Lions and he doesn't seem to have the trash problems with his that we do in this country.
I guess what I'm getting to is they are no better or worse than hounds,you get out what you put into them.
The Rowdy line is most often used for big game,though Don Page has gotten into another line now that he is having good luck with,give him a call,He's in the book,Emmett Id.
dogbearhunter

Postby dogbearhunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:11 pm

i have a five year old half stephens half plott who is my lead dog. he does it all from rig with a med. nose to tree. he will lead the pack with any group of houds. now for the down side in the box. after he's been run all day and you put him in the box with other hounds you have better have a cattle prod becouse all he wants to do is fight and thats the only time he is mean other than that you couldnt ask for a better bear dog.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1280 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 am

I'm pretty sure Gary Faulkners dogs have stephens stock in their blood. I have hunted with Gary personally. His dogs are good tree dogs and rig dogs on bear and coon. They are some of the best rig dogs I have seen. The only thing I don't like about htem is that they won't stick with a mean bear.
porkchop
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby porkchop » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:55 am

Stephens are Great' They open good tree hard and mostly all grit, They are as cold nosed as I like em to be. I have three that I use for coon, cat and bear.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 pm

Stephens are the best little cur bear dogs I have seen I had the pleasure of training / hunting two young pups frank and jesse that belong to don page they were so full of natural ability it was impressive I have plotts and I will always have a little black dog in the pack just cause I dont see to much difference
Hunt hard cull hard !
Shrek

Postby Shrek » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Gary has some good dogs i have hunted with him for 7 years and his dogs are good track dogs and very good tree dogs. His dogs dogs do good on the rig and off the bait. they will stay with bear and they seem to get the job dun.

Return to “Cur Dogs”