Bear leading dogs to porky pine

Talk about Bear Hunting
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Bear leading dogs to porky pine

Postby Bear hounder » Tue May 21, 2019 8:57 am

I might sound crazy but this bear I ran the other day took 4 hounds to 2 different porky pines over 4 or 5 mile chase any body else ever have this problem I know it sounds crazy but I'm convinced it happend to me I saw the bear leave the second tree as I was getting close to the tree and there was a porky pine in the tree I just could not believe my eye's

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Bear leading dogs to porky pine

Postby Irish Jack » Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Did you get a good look at the Bear?
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Thu May 23, 2019 1:13 am

Lol.yes thanks

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:57 am

Well it happened again the dogs started a bear track we packed it then after about 5km the dogs were showing treed so it happens we were able to drive right to the dogs within a matter of minutes we stopped about 300 yards shy of the tree and walked the 4 wheeler trail the rest of the way we are getting close and I can see the hounds barking into a hollow spot under a big rock and then I got my eyes on my junior dog and he was the first dog to the tree buy about 200 yards ahead of the second dog there he was covered in porky pine quiles I could not believe my eyes I started tieing up hounds as fast as I could saying bad dogs in a loud voice putting leads on dogs and passing them out to another friend that was with me he then would tie them back as I grabbed the last to dogs one being junior the bear poped his head out for a look so I quickly let go of the dogs and started saying good boys good boys funny how things change sometimes lol there is no questions in my mined any more do bears lead a pack of hounds on purpose yes they do that I know for sure now the question is why do they do it

dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:50 am

Do you think it was the same bear? It could have figured out a way to lose the dogs and now uses it all the time... animals are smart at survival.

I have a hard time letting a deer go that have the tendency of looking up all the time. They teach the fawns to walk around and look up too... not that good for the tree stand hunter...
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:13 am

I would think you have a porky pine problem ? Dewey
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:40 am

oneguy828
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby oneguy828 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Are these bears baying or just runnin? I would suspect you have a dog or two that like porkys but when they got a bear caught and it sounds good they show back up. My two cents, but I don’t ever give the dog the benefit of the doubt.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:55 am

Well I'm not sure that I'm painting the picture right but when you find your dog's at the end of a fast paced head up running full tilt bear chase and we have the privilege of GPS tracking collers and you can see your hole pack of 7 dogs each on the GPS in a different color of tract leaving a trail on the map for every step they take and not one dog has moved of the tract and they show treed at the same place then you get to the tree and all the dogs are barking in a hole in the rocks the lead dog that showed treed first 200 yards before the rest of the dogs has a face full of porky pine quills so I started tiring dogs back and when I get to the dog that has quills I am standing about 2 feet from the hole about to give my dog a life lesson and a bear sticks his head out of the hole to see if it was safe to come out . So there is no doubt in my mind that bears lead dogs right to porky pines on purpose and the resin I'm sharing this is it is a very interesting frustrating bit of truth in the bush especially when your training hounds to be bear dogs and your dog takes a bear over a long chase doing exactly what you want him to do and he is doing this because he wants to please you and at the end of that if he gets the bad name of being a trashy porky dog and gets a spanking the bear has out smarted not just the hounds but the he is also out smarted the houndsman as well and the bear is sitting in that hole listing to you spanke your dog laughing his jigly bum of and yes the dog made a mistake grabbing the first thing to come running out of the hole as the bear went in . Button the truth of the matter is bears lead dogs right to porky pines . Do they do it on purpose I believe they do a bear has a good nose and he makes his living with his nose he knows what makes it hard for him to find something and he is smart enough to know that the very strong smell of a porky pine is a good cover sent and may even scare away any dogs that have been taught a lesson by Mr porky pine .maybe the bear just tried to find a hole to climb into and get away from from that dog bitting his bum and out of desperation jumps in the porky pine cave when there is a 80 foot high pine tree right beside the porky pine cave . There is no doubt in my mind that bears lead the hounds right to porky pine just wanted to share it and hope it helps someone out during a time of frustration while pulling quills just remember sometimes bears use a porky pine to make there point. give your dog's the trust they give you. and I have to be honest with you guys I was tricked buy more than a couple bears before my dogs showed me the truth so in short I'm sharing my own mistakes.
KEEP LOOKING UP

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:37 am

We had a bobcat take refuge in a brush pile where there was two gray fox, a coon and a porcupine already in there. Many other cases of bobcats taking refuge where other animals were; most often coon or porky. Also the cats often walked on top of piles where coon or porky were sleeping. In those areas there were not a lot of good places to take refuge, so critters seemed to share these spaces.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:39 am

Wow David that so cool

lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:34 am

I'm no bear hunter obviously. I don't doubt the intentional pairing with the porcupine. I know that hogs will try and dump you on other hogs and on more than one occasion when the heat was really being poured on, they would get in with cattle. I have bayed a group of hogs that got right in the middle of a set of cows weren't gonna leave even with us hollering because the cows were between us and them. I had to let my buddy hold the catch dog once while I tried to separate a cow and calf from a boar that was staying underneath her like he was her calf. I finally got him out far enough that the bay dogs could get between him and the cow and being in open pasture they weren't about to let him go anywhere. That was the end of the road for him. I have literally seen hogs leaving a set of woods and intentionally turn and run through a set of cows on the way to their intended destination. Animals are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. David that brush pile was full for sure, lol. That would've been something different to see for sure lol.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:02 am

Well I don't have much proof of bears running the dogs past porkies but I do know I've had less issues in the summer/fall vs other seasons. We just don't seem to get in them much in bear season. Now back when I coon hunted a fair bit it was more common or sometimes in winter hunting. I've seen just as David described with an old log pile acting as a critter hotel.

Now what I have noticed is if you've got a tough gritty bear dog and you do get on a porky, well do yourself a favor and just go to the vet. It's worth the money vs several hours of the two person hold down.

Strange stuff can happen on races but if you're ending up with porky issues frequently on a bear race, your dog probably has a liking to porkies. It ain't the bear bringing the dog to them, it's the dog taking a little detour on the race to find them. Now if bear and porky end up at the same spot, that's different but it still might be a good idea to really break the dog off porkies. Cause then you might just have a couple in the nose vs a wad full down the throat.

As a side note, had a dog that was pretty good dog but wasnt even bent yet. Trashy bugger. Fur or feathers, he'd be after it. Probably scales too if given the chance. Now this was pre gps but we put him down on a winter coyote track. He goes to working it and eventually gets it jumped and brings it across the road. Didn't see the yote but got the track. Dog goes in on a couple laps barking steady and comes back around. We're ready now to blast this yote, out comes a deer just a scooting. We scramble to try and catch him off and fail. Bigger fail was the dead shocker. Dog goes in on a couple more laps and makes a loss for less than 30 seconds, starts coming back. This time he comes through on the deer but with a face full of quills. Still Fail to nab him and off he goes, it was a real proud moment as a hound owner. Goes in on a couple more hot laps and is now coming back to a different section of road. This time we'll nab him as he's getting tired. Here he comes in hot pursuit but has now switched back onto the yote but still with a face full of quills. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] We added a couple more dogs and ended up getting the yote. So I guess the moral of the story is good can go to bad, bad can go to good and weird $hit happens on hound races. But if weird $hit is always happening it's time to reevaluate what's causing it and if the desired outcomes are being achieved. They did this one time for me, but I cant say I'd try make it a habit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks for the great story I read it to the family this morning we laughed together thanks for the truth we enjoyed the hole hunt with around the breakfast table it's like we say you never know what will happen when you turn a hound loose thanks again for the great story

al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:17 am

Lucky me it has been years since I experienced porky problems. However years ago I had couple dogs that could not resist trying to eat a porky once in a while. My experience very hard to break dogs off porky pine, once they get the habit. Sure don/t mean to be a smart ass, but, have to say think you have a dog or two that like porky pines. One would think the first time a dog gets loaded with those painful quills that would be the last porky for them, however, my experience just the opposite. Good luck Al

Return to “Bear Hunting”