what is the best coon bait

Talk about Coon Hunting

what is the best coon bait

Postby live4hounds » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:00 am

what is the best coon bait for catching coon in a live trap
live4hounds

Postby Nora Cook » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:17 pm

There is SOOO much stuff you can use. I find I use different things depending if it is a woods coon or a town coon. I have a friend that is a licened trapper for problem animals and he uses alot of different things as well.

Sardeens
Can cat food
dry cat food
Dry cat food/ Jelly
Penut butter/Jelly

I like to use Cheetoos. They have to go to it because it looks strange to them and then they like the taste.

good luck to you.
Nora L Cook

Take the youth hunting, they are the future of our sport.
Nora Cook
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

ive use all those

Postby live4hounds » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:43 pm

ive use all of those and i will still not catch any thing but can go out the same day and tree a few at night so i dont know.....
live4hounds

bait

Postby houndsnmules » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:25 pm

Marshmellows with jelly leading up to and into the trap. The above items will work also,but you might get something else in the trap.
Jaime
houndsnmules
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How I catch a problem coon

Postby treeing walkers » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:44 am

live4hounds wrote :
ive use all those
ive use all of those and i will still not catch any thing but can go out the same day and tree a few at night so i dont know.....

I have had the same problem before. First thing is to put the trap where there is coon and right off their path. All three sides need to be blocked so the coon only has one way to approach the trap. Then with the trap place you cover the floor of the trap with dirt or ferns something so that the coon does not walk on the wire. I use honey buns and seem to work real well for me. I also dig a hole about 6"x6" near the back of the trip pan with a honey bun in the hole with the cage set on top of the hole. Then with the trap set and the front floor covered throw in a shredded up honey bun in the back of the cage. I also like to pour apricot or boysenberry syrup in the hole for more sweet smell. Then I cover the trap with ferns or cedar branches or ?? And if I have had problems with a coon there before I will shred another honey bun up and place out in front of the trap to really attract their attention.

Another thing i like to do is put up a coon feeder where they are and get them use to coming in to get fed. after about a week or so put out your trap and that should help also. I feed 'em cheap dog food in a pvc feeder.

Hope this helps you get what you want. Let me know how it goes.
If It Wasn't For Hounds, Beer, and Kids I Would Be A Wealthy Man
treeing walkers
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:30 am

Good info there from Treeing Walkers. I trap a lot of coons in the city. If I have a trap shy coon, I tip over a trash can, place the trap inside covered with trash. Haven't missed a trap shy coon yet using this method. Type of bait isn't usually the problem, something else is causing them to stay away. Location, setting, not camoflauged, etc. Another thing to keep in mind, is to make sure the trap is setting firmly on the ground. If it wiggles when they step on it, they won't feel safe and won't go in.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

dog

Postby live4hounds » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:27 pm

well thank you all for your help i will give them a try... were these trap are being set is in a orcherd and this orcherd is wierd most of the orchers coon just tavel the hole orcherd and dig up worms this orcherd they have a set line they follow. they follow the rieser path to the corn field and they dont get very far away from the path far ive see is 5 to 6 trees out and that only like 20 feet. so they stay very close to the rieser. well i could do what i have done be for clime up the tree and shack it out and have some one catch it as it fall in a big fishing net
live4hounds

coon bait

Postby peake01 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:41 am

lately i have been catchin them with marshmellows and maple syrup. its been workin pretty well. :lol:
peake01
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Bait for coon

Postby NMhoundman » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:33 pm

Honeybuns work great as well. Pretty much any thing that is sweet. The fish smell will attact the skunks.
NMhoundman

Postby bluedogs » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:36 pm

i am trapping this farm around here and i have caught 3 coon in three nights i used marshmellows they worked good but here latley the coons wount go all the way in the cage they eat the marshmellows leading in to the trap all the way up to the pan then they dont eat any more there are alot of coon in this area i tryed to switch up the bait with bacon grease but that hasnt worked any ideas i am gonna try to hid the trap more and cover the bottom so they arnt walking on the cages wire. any ideas would help just wounderin if any of you all have had this happen all the coons i am catching are getting re located.
cant never could
bluedogs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Bait

Postby pogo56 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:39 pm

i own a nusc controll company, ive used all sorts of things from scraps to dog food, but if you got a coon in the woods, throw some Cobbed corn arround and wire one into the back of the cage....that should get him...some times you have to go simple....dont over think it....cover all sides except the door....put a small piece infront of the door and some scattred arround....
pogo56
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Thunderboltkennels » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:32 am

i have always had good luvky traping coons with that store bought coon bait that is just like a paste. it is pretty cheap bout 3 or four dollars and it works great on them coons that you just cant get to go into the traps for anything else. that is just my 2cents worth.
Preston Morgan
Thunderbolt Kennels
Home of:
"PR"Shorty the Fire Setting Midget (TW)
Sunshine (RW)
Devil (RW)
Lemon (RW)
Dixie (CUR)
Jim Bob (RW)
Little Man (RW)
T-Bone (MUTT)
Thunderboltkennels

Postby manistee rvr hounds » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:03 pm

See Beagle Girls Post?? It works for her!
manistee rvr hounds

Postby Jeep Hound » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:50 pm

I like to throw a couple of eggs in the back along with whatever bait I am using.
Jeep Hound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby youngdawg » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:13 am

I like to use pb&j and blueberry muffins.
youngdawg
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Next

Return to Coon Hunting