who hunts coon in the far north in the winter?

Talk about Coon Hunting

who hunts coon in the far north in the winter?

Postby Gary Gentry » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:42 pm

looking for some tips on hunting coon in the cold and snow of the far north do you hunt at night or the day we have been having high temps of 5 to 10 during the day and below 0 at night?
Gary Gentry

NORTHERN LIGHTS ENGLISH KENNELS HOME OF:
GRCH 'PR' ONEY'S INDIAN CREEK BIG ECHO (GRNITECH PR ONEY'S OUTBACK DAN X PR ONEY'S PEARL)
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS OAKWOODS AMME (GRNITECH MAIN STREET JACK X GRNITECH OAKWOOD'S EMMA
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS OAKWOODS DUTCHESS(GRNITECH BALLARDS HARDTIME BLADE X NITECH OAKWOOD'S SALLY)
PR NORTHERN LIGHTS BLUE YETI (GRNITECH MAIN STREET DINO X NITECH HARDTIME RUBY)
Gary Gentry
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: who hunts coon in the far north in the winter?

Postby Doogie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:56 pm

wait for the warm ups in the weather, like when its in the 40s for highs and just below freezing for lows. Coons hold up till it warms up some, they semi hibernate in the sub artic cold. Or get a terrier to barn bust, or pull them out of hay piles and silage pits but you dont need hounds to do that
I ride the Leopard Cur short bus
Doogie
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby StrawberryMt » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:29 pm

Yea Gary your probably better off to let it warm up.My rule of thumb has been highs near 30 lows in the upper teens you'll get some moving but your gonna look at alot of den trees.Heres a picture from last night it was 18.made 5 dens and 2 with coon on the outside.

Home of the Strawberry Mt line of Treeing walkers

Your either making dust or your eating it
StrawberryMt
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby RRR_Malave » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:14 pm

yes i go coon hunting during the winter alot of dens and some coon out side of tree
RRR_Malave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby montananative » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Gary Gentry wrote:looking for some tips on hunting coon in the cold and snow of the far north do you hunt at night or the day we have been having high temps of 5 to 10 during the day and below 0 at night?

If its below teens i stay home. If theres real crusty snow i really dont get excited to go, i dont care how good a hound you got thats tough trackin for them. Once it hits 50's 60's for day time highs, get ready to rock n roll.

In the winter ill head out right at dark or even go an hour to a half hour before dark. if the coons are going to move i really think they do it early evening or else mornings. My buddy was takin his walkers just for a walk the other morning around 9 30 along the yellowstone. His dogs caught one on the ground. They have to move sometime to get a drink and scrounge for what food they can
montananative
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Jeep Hound » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 pm

I prefer to hunt coon in the afternoon. If there are coon in the area they may be sunning outside the den. Just go to areas where you know they are holing up. Over here they can't sleep anymore, winter has been to hard on them already.
Jeep Hound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby MNenglishman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:02 pm

in the middle of winter (late december and january) i dont go much. come february though we start to go alot. the other night it was 8 but i figured i'd give it a shot. dogs were hitting tracks everywhere and treeing left and right. looked at alot of nice dens trees but never saw a coon.
MNenglishman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby RRR_Malave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:28 am

hey guess what just went coon huntin tonight two den trees and got the just a reg tree with a coon in it just me n my lil redbone female
RRR_Malave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Jeep Hound » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:42 am

RRR_Malave wrote:hey guess what just went coon huntin tonight two den trees and got the just a reg tree with a coon in it just me n my lil redbone female

Way to go....
Jeep Hound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby RRR_Malave » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:36 am

thanks so have any of you guys been out hunting lately?
RRR_Malave
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Return to Coon Hunting