Wolf crosses

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs

Wolf crosses

Postby Moonshiner » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Does anyone hunt with Wolf Crosses? Not really considering hunting with one, just wondering since the wolf is the primary hunter in the North, if they are used for hunting in the states?
3yo Bluetick "JD"
2yo Bulldog "Diesel"
1yo Redbone "JW"

USMC Kill 'Em All
Moonshiner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby larry » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 pm

Nope, I like my arms and my kids arms intact. Not meant to be crossed and domesticated, ever.
larry
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:25 pm

WHAT?

WHAT?

A wolf cross, not this guy, not ever. I like to keep an open mind about just about any cross out there but not this one. I cant imagine how that could ever be helpful but if somebody can prove me wrong, do it.
Dan Edwards
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Wolf crosses

Postby bearhunter77 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:49 pm

I've heard of quiet a few wolf crosses especially in wyoming. Out in Pinedale a guy had a wolf cross the path of a 30-06. Up north there quite a few guys who've actually had some good luck crossing wolves with 30-30's as well. I think even in Idaho a rancher in Ashton had two wolf crosses but I don't know which caliber the wolf was crossed with.
bearhunter77
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby TomJr » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:41 pm

Dan Edwards wrote:
A wolf cross, not this guy, not ever. I like to keep an open mind about just about any cross out there but not this one. I cant imagine how that could ever be helpful but if somebody can prove me wrong, do it.

Humm maybe cross them with some pitbulls or other large dog aggresive types and turn them loose see if they can clear out all the pure wolves? :wink: Then once they done that ya can shoot the lot of em since they will not be real wolves just "dogs". :lol:

I have seen some wolf/dogs that was real nice around people most of the time. Problem is that one time is all it takes! You have to be on guard 24/7 to prevent the trigger situations... and any people that come visiting have to also know how to act around them. Ie be in Alpha dog mode at all times. These where not used for hunting turning one loose with other dogs would be just asking for trouble. Just don't think it would be worth it to me, not when there are plenty of good dogs out there.
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Moonshiner » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:01 pm

just wonderin, i didnt realize that the crosses still had the inborn behavior of Alpha dog, I can see where that might be a problem.
As for the caliber crosses, that was pretty funny, I laughed for a while, lol. Personally I pack a .45-70 so if any come my way i'll let ya know how that cross works out, lol.
3yo Bluetick "JD"
2yo Bulldog "Diesel"
1yo Redbone "JW"

USMC Kill 'Em All
Moonshiner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Wolf crosses

Postby ironman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 pm

You're already hunting with them catahoulas and blue Lacey's, but all dogs came from wolves
ironman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dwalton » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 pm

I have seen a couple of them out here that people kept them for pets. One would kill sheep ever time it got lose until it shot by a neighbor. The other one would kill ever dog ,cat, chicken that got within reach of its chain. They are next to impossible to train that I have seen. Dewey
dwalton
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby ironman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:28 pm

ironman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby blueheelerz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 am

sorry guys but i hate wolves bar none they shouldnt be in the usa at all they are the worst thing that has happend to our wildlife who ever released them should be crossed with some lead as well just my opinion
happy huntin
Bob
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats!

Be who you are and say what you feel.....
because those that matter.....don't mind.....
and those that mind.....don't matter!
blueheelerz

Postby ironman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:18 pm

ironman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:05 pm

I know a vet lady that used to raise them . took them from the mom before eyes opened and they would still have to be darted to capture if one got out and stayed loose for a day . you can't breed that wildness out of them . her's were from 75% to 90% wolf and still would scare the hell out of you when they stared at you lol .
hattak at ofi pisa
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BIGBLUES » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:58 pm

My Brother has some wolf/german shepard crosses and they are awesome dogs, very smart and listen well. They are a handful though. They can jump his 8 foot tall fence and they have killed one sheep so far. I wouldn't want one personally. Not sure how much wolf is in them. I could never trust one around my kid.
BIGBLUES
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby akbruce66 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:56 pm

State of Alaska outlawed keeping wolves or wolf crosses around 1990, they killed two children in Anchorage that year, there was one in Chitina for years but it bit the finger off a child thru a fence and parents were not happy. Folks tried using them for sled dogs but mostly it didnt work, they would only run so far and quit, although Slim took a team from Ak to I think Chicago, yup he put wheels on his sled.
akbruce66
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby wiblueboy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm 21 and when I was about 5 we got one that was 1/2 timber wolf and 1/2 Alaskan malamute. Best dog we ever owned. She was the sweetest dog in the world to our whole family but if a stranger pulled up they damn well better not get out of the car.lol. only incident we ever had was the first night it snowed me and my uncle were outside playing in the snow and he tackled me into the snow and I screamed. Dog broke her chain and darn near ripped my uncles arm off. She was normally lose unless company was over and she never wondered off or killed anything. Great family dog, extremely protective. But after seeing what wolves really do I can't say I like them anymore
Hunt with Blueticks
wiblueboy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Next

Return to Big Game Hunting With Dogs