Heat stroke with an 8 year old bear dog

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Beardawgs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Heat stroke with an 8 year old bear dog

Postby Beardawgs » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Early in the spring bear season of last year my dog was hot on a long running bear, I saw it cross the road, stopped the wheeler but didn't hear anything. The dog was right there, he came up on the road and about fell over, looked like he was drunk and panting very hard. He found some shade and pretty much collapsed. It was about 55 degrees that day. He continued the season just fine, had some long all day races in much warmer weather. Then in the fall season I turned loose too late in the morning as it was warming up. The dogs got a bear bayed after a short race. By the time I got there he was collapsed. Gave him water and poured water all over then took him straight to a creek, he recovered fairly quick. I had my first race of this season yesterday morning, it was fairly cool 45-50 degrees. He made it two miles then stopped. Took him about 20 minutes to make it less than a 100 yards up to the road, and again he looked drunk, but wasn't panting excessively. A friend told me once a dog gets heat stroke that they can't run unless its winter and cold. Really hoping my lead dog didn't just retire. Any insight or experience with this? Thank you
Wide Open!

North Idaho Big Game Hounds
kickemall
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Heat stroke with an 8 year old bear dog

Postby kickemall » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Sounds more like a blood sugar drop than heat stroke.
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:11 pm

I agree with Kickemall, It could be either one though. Is your dog in shape has he been laid up for awhile and now is expected to run bear? If not in shape I could see it over heating fairly quick. Feed your dog a little before you go hunting. Give it some children's pedialight or something high in Protein or just give it some burger. Sounds like the Blood sugar is getting low.
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Also pick up a thing of dog vitamins and see if that helps. good luck
Beardawgs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Beardawgs » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:47 am

Hadn't thought about low blood sugar. He always has a bowl of Diamond High Energy food in front of him and he's been on a joint health and antioxidant supplement for about a month. Also has been roaded 3.5 miles a day for the last two weeks, so he's not in shape but hasn't been sitting on the chain either. I have some old elk burger to give him. Used to use an animal supplement called Bounceback that I would give the dogs after the first race of the day, its basically gatorade powder with dextrose, I'll get some more of that too. Thanks!
Wide Open!

Beardawgs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Beardawgs » Fri May 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Well, its not heat stroke or low blood sugar, its his heart. Took him to a vet this morning and soon as she put the stethoscope on him she says, oh boy. Bad murmur and some arrhythmia, theres a number of things that could cause it but the chances of it being a treatable condition (as far as hunting goes) are very slim. Now I have to figure out if its worth taking him to the Washington State University vet to see a cardiologist and get blood work done. I have two, year and a half old dogs that are doing great, but not sure how well they will do without the old dog.
Wide Open!

kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:27 am

that doesnt sound fixable or feasable money wise,but more of a retirement for the dog.has the dog been checked for heartworm?im kinda at a point your at right now with younger dogs that can do it ,but arent as reliable.im gonna keep taking them to the woods ,and work on the little things that keep them unreliable.with time patience and training hopefully one will measure up.if it dont i will look for a hound that will fill the void.the key is to enjoy yourself even at a low .good luck and sorry about ol reliable.
colobbcat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby colobbcat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:00 pm

A guys has to be careful with vets these days...I'd get a second opinion. Don't tell the second guy what the first vet said either. Also any vet can take blood and send it to a lab, they just have to know how to read the chemistry in the results....again sounds like you need a second opinion.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Well I sure wouldn't run him. What's being described is a dog barely able to exert itself. A 2 mile run that's a wind sprint for a dog. And then struggling 100 yards? Even if his distance estimation is off 25%-50% that dogs in trouble. I think getting him checked out again might not be a bad idea but a heart murmur is pretty easy for anyone to diagnose . it sounds so different. But figuring out what caused it takes the training.
As a side I think upping the young dogs roading exercise will help them in the future.

We hunt in temperatures way higher then 55 degrees. There's a few things to watch for. Don't hunt out of shape dogs, don't hunt dogs to heavy that is usually taken care of by the first, not always though. And watch temperature swings. For example if your dogs are mostly hunted at 40 degrees and it spikes to 65 or higher one day early keep in mind they can't change coats.
Keep in mind I have no idea where your hunting. Plus while my dogs hunt in the heat they are conditioned for it and I run them lighter weights then guys up north. I can normally feel the last few ribs easily. Most of the time they only deal with real cold temps after dark and first thing in the morning.
And its dry here so if a dog is hydrated they seem able to cool off better then in similar temps with higher humidity. I sometimes push the temperature a little. I do carry IVs though.
Younger dogs can handle less pre season exercise but older hounds need it. I don't feel comfortable until they can road at least ten miles at a pretty good clip and still want to swing out and check things out.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:57 am

I suspected heart problem before you informed us, had a dog with the same actions, very enlarged heart. I would not spend a bunch of money, would retire him. Al
cowgurl_up01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000759858168

Postby cowgurl_up01 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:54 pm

You really don't ever want to put water all over a heat stroked dog it can throw them into shock and kill them we always carry some rubbing alcohol with us on hot days pour it on the pads of their feet and rub inside the flaps of their ears it will cool them off with out throwing them into shock as for low blood sugar a little bit of karol suryp on the gums is a good way to slowly raise their blood sugar I know this won't help with your issue with the heart but just for future reference :)
**Manda Mo**

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”