Tapeworm help!

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Taylor
Facebook ID: 0

Tapeworm help!

Postby Taylor » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 am

Anyone have any good way to prevent tapeworms. My hounds are in the woods every other day if not every day and I can’t seem to keep tapeworms out of them. I will see them live in there poop then give them a dose of good dewormer. Usually the next day there crap will have dead worms in it and I will think problem solved but usually within a month or so there back. If anyone has any thoughts or experiences they can offer are much appreciated. Thanks!
"If you did not see it in the tree it did not happen" -Herb kennedy
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Tapeworm help!

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:44 am

Here is a little something that might help you. It is written by a vet on a forum for the health of the racing greyhound. I like the forum myself. He's very descriptive and down to earth. Quite a bit of good reading material on there.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:47 am

Look it up. It talks about a lot of intestinal parasites.

driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:56 am

A lot of good info there. keeping fleas off is the 1st step. keeping them from eating stuff that carry the tapeworms in another.. I use safeguard to worm use it 3 days straight usually do not see any dead worms as they get absorbed. but the best id Droncit..or the generic equivalent.
also control fleas around your place... I use permethrin spray and then some Tree and shrub spray and rotate it..--- will take a few times but worth it.
Lionandboarhunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Lionandboarhunter » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 pm

Equimax horse wormer works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:13 am

The biggest problem with tapeworms is when you worm them you kill the adults you do not kill the eggs which will hatch 7 days later so you have to start an aggressive worming program to get rid of them.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:32 am

Valbazen is good wormer as well. Im not trying to start anything here but I am gonna share something so that maybe everyone can benefit. I use to use the horse wormers in the dial tubes as did several guys I knew. One of them started having some issues with worms even though he was worming regular. When he went to his vet about it (a good vet) he told my buddy 2 things. One, horse wormers work on horses and can work on dogs but aren't consistent with dogs. The reason being is that it is mixed in bulk. So what they advertise as being in the tube is there, but all the wormer may be in one area and the rest of it is filler that the medication piggy backs so to speak. So the first 3 or 4 clicks might give you a high concentration of medication and the next few nothing. Since the dog gets so much less than a 1250# horse that the tube is dosed for, sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't. The second thing he said that he sees regular was under worming. Many people are scared of overdosing their dog so they don't give them enough. In this instance he said you may as well squirt it on the ground because it will have the same effect. Most wormers have built in safe guards in them so that you don't overdose them very easily. I always over worm in the since of if my dog weighs 50# then I dose him for a 60# dog. This way I'm not under worming and not over worming too bad.

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:22 am

I’ve raised dogs in the same pins for around 30 yrs. Dirt floor. I only use ivmectrin once per month and something like safeguard or valbasen ever third month. Never have a worm problem of any kind. Flush the ground with Clorox year round at least every2 months.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Dog health care is a wide subject. Even when your only focusing on parasites. Each region has its own trials. And learning to control them is a big issue. Even with modern medicines it can be a struggle. If you travel widely with your hounds this becomes a bigger job. Many parasites cause similar symptoms but require different methods of control. I feel like i might be over medicating my hounds often. Even though i know i am actually just barely staying ahead of various parasites. Which has given me occasion to wonder about the methods used in the past to combat various illnesses and parasites.
Some animals are more lucky or immune in these regards. But i dont feel this small percentage of animals was all they relied on in the past. Ofcourse theres some old remedies that ive heard or come across. But still i think theres more "common" knowledge of years past thats been lost.
emccormick
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby emccormick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:07 pm

This is a good source for wormer. https://www.canadavet.com/Popantel-Allw ... 6C108.aspx
I got Dipylidium Caninum in the kennel a few years back. I had to go to war with fleas and worms. Took about a year before I wiped them out completely. I sprayed all surfaces and pens every ten days with Black Flag and used Frontline plus religiously.
catdog360
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby catdog360 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 am

Taylor, if you have tape worms you have fleas. It's expensive but buy seresto flea collars. They work awesome. Then worm your dogs with droncit generic. Hit them again in 10 days. Bayer also makes some tapeworm tablets that work well too. And keep your kennels disinfected.
Toolman94

Postby Toolman94 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm

I agree with Macedonia mule man, same case with my dog kennels they have been in the same spot since my grandfather . I give the same stuff for wormer, Clorox kennels and houses twice a year, clean water every day, spray around kennels and in kennels every 3 to 4 months with Bifen along with Bravecto flee and tick for each dog. I have never had a problem with any worms. Even before I started using the Bravecto for flees and ticks, I have only started using it in the last 3 to 4 years but it is worth every penny if you hunt a lot during the spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kaleo chandler

Postby kaleo chandler » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:48 am

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”