Pelvis fracture

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Bluetick333
Facebook ID: 0

Pelvis fracture

Postby Bluetick333 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:48 pm

Had my six month old hound get hit by a car and got a fractured pelvis in three spots on his left side. He’s getting around good vet says two months of rest should heal. Anyone on here have a similar incident happen? I’m just wondering what recovery will look like and if he’ll be able to hunt again once he heals?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Pelvis fracture

Postby pegleg » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:00 pm

If it's set correctly and stays even throughout his growth you may never see a trace of it. I've had it go both ways with it healing basically 100% and had one with problems because of the fracture locations and because the vet was unable to stabilize it correctly. There was considerable differences in how it was handled between them. Both cases were hounds . A third was a fox terrier and his damage was most severe but the recovery was very successful. I suggest requiring they do everything possible to stabilize and control movement and keep the dog as calm as you can for several weeks as that seems most important even if it requires pins and casting both legs and pelvis
Bluetick333

Re: Pelvis fracture

Postby Bluetick333 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:35 am

Thank you pegleg. The fracture is stabilized now I suppose it’s just a waiting game for the healing process, doesn’t help my itch with all this fresh snow and hunting to be done

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”