Calvin Paul?

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
Black&TanMan1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Calvin Paul?

Postby Black&TanMan1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:35 am

What do you guys know about his B&T dogs?
CDH
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Calvin Paul?

Postby CDH » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:12 pm

I believe most of them were out of Ken Duncans dogs or closely related to them.

WCH CH PR HEALEYS SPRING CREEK TUFF
black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby black eye » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:02 am

Calvin is a great guy and very honest. The line of dogs he is working on now seems to be more of the line that works well on big game.

cdh never did here back from ya??

you runnin black dogs or blue or both??
If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent
$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org
CDH
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby CDH » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:35 pm

black eye I decided to keep that male. Just black dogs for me right now my dad has a couple blueticks

iinvno1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby iinvno1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:20 am

No this is not true I know the post is older but I ran across it and thought I mite clear things up a little. They bred dogs together before they had a falling out. To say that they are Duncan bred would be inaccurate to say the least. Calvin POLL is on facebook and can give you the rundown on the breeding. Calvin has a way different outlook on breeding dogs then Ken. I have known Ken for the better part of 20 years and he is a great guy that has had some fine hounds. He also has bred some.....how should I say mediocre dogs as well. He went through a stage where his dogs looked totally different more like competition dogs instead of hounds that he was known for. This was about the same time that Calvin and Ken parted ways the way I understand it. Now some may not agree with me that's life. I got a couple of these dogs and can tell you first hand that, was in fact the case. The dogs had a pointy nose shorter ears and some started real slow. The dogs Ken is known for had none of those characteristics. When I first got started that's what I ran Duncan bred black and tans because to hear folks talk about it they were the only bnt's to run. For a long time I agree'd, however as I have stated for awhile I would not have owned one and didn't. I started looking around and actually switched breeds all together. I have since found a breeding that Ken did that I am quite happy with. I actually fell into a deal and have been fairly happy. However that being said this dog still started slow and HAD some characteristics that I was not happy with. He turned out to be one hell of a bear dog but isn't all that fond of cats. So I guess they all have their favorite. I hope those who read this may get just what I intended. A little more info on Calvin and Ken's dogs. Calvin is also a wealth of information when it comes to this particular strain of black dogs. He strives for a HOUND, and strives for his dogs to look, sound, and act like hounds. Calvin and another fella have kept one particular offshoot of Ken and Calvin's blood going. Calvin is a fine man and is a pleasure to talk to and as I have said he is also a wealth of information concerning this strain of black and tans and hounds in general.
The long bawl in early fall,the steady chop, the hammer drop. The chase and the tree, the passion of hunting for you and me. The old dog and the pup, the juvenile thats always corrupt.The snow the rain the laughter and pain. These dogs called hounds, we chase through the brush, waiting for the tree, our next big rush.
MThound
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby MThound » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Calvin is a wealth of information for Ken Duncan's and Calvin Poll's old bloodlines. A couple other houndsmen and I have been working with Calvin to keep a couple of these lines going today. Any of the "Black Canyon" dogs were directly out of Calvin's kennel. He is a great person that has a lot of information to offer. If you have any questions about him or some of his line, feel free to PM me.
Thanks, Rory
CDH
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby CDH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Yep they bred dogs together so their dogs have a lot of the same blood in them, Ken has brought some other stuff into his lines to ie. smithhurst, albert. They both have a ton of knowledge about the bloodlines they have used. It really is unfortunate that they had a falling out, they produced some real nice dogs together IMO. I owned quite a few dogs out of each guys kennel and they both produce nice dogs. I never saw a pup from either kennel that didn't look like a hound IMHO do your home work first and find out what the cross you are getting is producing both in looks and ability!

black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby black eye » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:58 am

I have bred black dogs with Calvin now for 6 years. I have not heard him speak about breeding with Ken at any juncture during that time . Like u said the relationship with Ken is done.

Some friends, family and I have had a few dogs from kens here in the last few years. We no longer have them. We have weeded out some from Calvin.

I cant stand the dogs you have to go out and make into a dog! I dont have time for that any more! Seems they never work out to be a top dog anyway!

I like Calvins theory of pursuing the successful Big Game Breed.

I too have been around to see the real natural, good starting just show em game Black dogs!!

Seems they are hard to find!!!

There are a few that claim to have it but its been awhile since I have seen a full litter of good SOB's!!!!

JMO!!!!!
$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
Justaguy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Justaguy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 am

Black Eye

I always like learning about people and their line of dogs ! Is there any place on the internet that I can look to read and learn more about Calvin and his line of B&T's

Thanks
Justaguy
silentnight
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby silentnight » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:50 am

Black eye , your not the one selling the high dollar blk/tn dogs on ksl are you ?
black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby black eye » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:44 am

Justauy,
Pm me and ill send u Calvins phone number. Hes a super guy, and really knows black & tan bloodlines. I dont think he has a webpage set up.

Silentnight,
Not me. I dont really sell dogs nor do I like to brag on a dog. They will make a fool of you everytime.

We just have a core group of guys that are trying to keep good black dogs around.
$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
silentnight
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby silentnight » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:04 am

Return to “Black and Tan Coonhounds”