cold nose coyote hound

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

cold nose coyote hound

Postby 1280 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 am

How does someone go about training a pup to cold trail coyotes and get them jumped? I have a pup now with alot of potential but I don't know how to make it clod trail.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: cold nose coyote hound

Postby Nolte » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:15 pm

The best way is to put it with a cold trailer and see how it does. If it picks it up, then start putting it out by itself.

I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I've yet to see a running dog that cold trailed worth a damn. I know they are out there and I've heard of guys having them but I just haven't seen one. Also the running dogs I've seen just don't seem "sticky" enough on tracks in our area. We have a lot of roads, sled trails, creeks and they seem to lose tracks in these areas and not be able to find them. Out of probably 20 differnt running dogs, I've only seen 1 that I liked and he really wasn't gritty enough when we actually caught a yote.

To be fair, there aren't a boat load of hounds that can do it either. I have seen some hounds that are pretty darn good at jumping the critter but catching is a different story. In good conditions they are better at it, but to do it consistantly you better try to get some buckshot in them to slow them down.

These observations are from hunting yotes in more timber country than farmland. It's a little different game in the wide open.
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby not color blind » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 pm

If you have snow put that pup on a leash and start walking out those tracks with him/her, encouraging the pup along the way.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1280 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 pm

Thanks for the input. I don't have running dogs i have blueticks, but i don't think many people on this site hunt coyotes. My hunting buddy has a good cold nose and I'm going to start putting my pup with his dog. We hunt farmland but its still tough to catch coyotes without running dogs. Its posible but unlikely. If i didn't run bear and cats also I would have a pack of running dogs.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:03 pm

the faster running dogs will put heat on the bear & cats and make your races shorter.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 pm

waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:12 am

MOST running hounds i own or have been with are better track dogs than the average coon hound, not colder nosed, better track dogs. If they cant run a track well there killed around here by old men who havent the time or energy to mess with dogs any other way. Thats were i get mine and dont have any tracking trouble with them, it's the coon hound blood that gets me into trouble

(the faster running dogs will put heat on the bear & cats and make your races shorter)

I'll have to agree with that 100%. but then i love running dogs

(i don't think many people on this site hunt coyotes.)

Not on purpose anyway :lol: i have bugged Buddy to start a coyote section by the other ones like bear,lion,bobcat ect. He is on the fence and i am trying to get him onboard, Hope to see some yote runners come out of the coyote closet
ROMANS 3:24
LET YOUR HOUNDS DO THE BRAGGING
thelineman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby thelineman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:15 pm

ok i'm out. i second the coyote thread whether on accident or on purpose.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1280 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:36 pm

I also think there should be a coyote hunting section. Coyote hunting is my favorite and the only thing to run in the winter.
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby not color blind » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Lets see it Buddy, one mans trash is another mans treasure.
jake p

Postby jake p » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:08 pm

i have read this board for awhile and am a member but never posted but am tired of people putting down the running hounds. I run a walker and julys. As far as yote hounds not being able to keep a track going it is b.s. I hunt year round and alot and usually hunt 4-6 hounds at a time. When my hounds jump and the race is on i want them to run as a pack and make very few checks and drive, very rarly will a coyte last more than 3 hours in front of them. As for the cold nose i ran the other morning, it was -14 and i can't say it was an exciting race but they did run
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:58 am

You guys need to do what i did and PM buddy to put up this coyote section, I just made a deal to get three trigg/july dogs from a guy to run on bobcats if any wont then i'll run the hell out of a coyote with them. There a year old and just started but have trashed on a bobcat 2 out of 5 times out on a coyote hunt, both were hot tracks and not on purpose, I'll bet if buddy knew how many of us would like a coyote section he would do it, plus like i told him Coyote is closer to being " BIG GAME " than a coon is and hell we got a coon hunting section.He told me you gotta ride his a** to get any thing done on here so lets do it

PLUS HE MIGHT NOT READ THIS SECTIONS POST CAUSE HE IS KINDA COYOTE SORE RIGHT NOW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 pm

I hope I'm not coming off on raggingn on running dogs in my posts. I've just never owned or seen one that could get it done better than coonhound bred stuff in our country. We have some situational/terrain issues that make it challenging on the dogs.

I would LOVE to find dogs that could hang on the track and run the yotes down in couple hours. It would sure beat the hell out of having to sneak in the woods and get some buckshot in them to slow them down.

If you've got a dog/dogs that could do this, I'd love to see them. Now if they could do that AND run a bear, stay caught on a bad one and NOT leave the tree. I know plenty of guys that would buy them. If they could really cold trail good, about every guy I know would buy it. (note this is all dependent on actually having the money which is a big IF).
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:34 pm

If your saying that a Fox/Coyote hound cant handle terrain a coon hound can your out of your mind, I have owned well over 100 hounds in my life so far a better portion being coon hounds the rest curs or fox hounds. One thing i know the average fox hound is a far better athlete than the above average coon hound he has been bred for increased lungs better feet and a voice that allows him to retain as much air as he can which allows him to run faster harder for longer periods of time with out collapsing from a lack of air. The fox hound has been better bred than the coon hound because there never is or was the money to corrupt them AS MUCH, old grumpy ass men usaully own them and they just dont tolerate the excuse's coon hound breeders will. But maybe thats just in my world, I say this one last thing if you say a coon hound can handle terrain a coyote hound cant, go find a true coyote hunter bring your hardest hound with ya get on a 6 to 8 hour race through hell and back on a hard running coyote and see how long it takes ol blue to come back to the truck plum tuckered and ready for little lovin. Hard tracking in rough country is no different either unless were talking about cold trailing a week old lion track :roll:

Return to “Running Dogs”