Pics, Vids, Stories, anything??

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Pics, Vids, Stories, anything??

Postby perk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Dan, is that young male the one you had a pic of ad a pup posted a few months ago? They look streamline, like they will be able to move in the open!
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Andyva » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm kind of new to running dogs. I've got full triggs. I have an 18 month old and a four month old. My idea is to run coyotes, but I'm having an awful lot of fun calling up a grey fox and putting this dog on him and listening to a nice race. He eventually goes in a hole in the rocks, or if he is a good one, pulls some kind of trick and looses the dog.Nice having a dog with a good homing instinct, she will come right back to the truck if you just sit there. I've run a few coyotes, and I'm not going to lie, with an 18 month old dog, I've had a few deer races. (I'm on the wrong side of the state for deer races.) It all sounds good, but those grey fox stay in a place where you can hear most of the race. I can't wait to hear a few more voices in the race, this pup will be a while, though. I'm just glad to be enjoying a part of history that is all but lost, but maybe with the coyote, a new chapter. I wish I was smart enough to post a pic on here, but that is a little above my pay grade.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Where did you get your trigg from? What part of Va are you in, I'm assuming somewhere near the valley or the 81 corridor. You will always have more fun with that grey than you will with that yote (I think), if you like hearing most of the race, go ahead and break those dogs off coyote and deer and enjoy the grey foxes you got around! Happy hunting
Perk
EGO is not your AMIGO
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Andyva,

I'm not sure I would break the dog off coyote cuz doubt you will have much problems with that anyhow but I would definitely get it broke off deer asap but just be careful in doin so of course. Don't ruin the youngster. Listen to perk and enjoy the grey fox races. I would give anything to be able to run grey or even red fox. Non existent where I'm from.
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:43 pm

I got my dogs from an old fella by the name of Cecil Boggs. I live in a little tiny county a little north of Roanoke. I want to run coyotes to have something to do with some bear hunting buddies of mine in the late winter. Everybody wants to run coyotes, they just don't want to do it with their dogs. I can pretty much run a grey fox when I want to, if I call them up first. I'm kind of a long haul from anywhere that people usually run fox, so I just worked out a little system of my own. I used to coon hunt, I'm kind of enjoying the sitting in the truck and listening to the race, and not having to go to a tree. Get a little hound fix without getting all sored up that way. I'm working on the deer thing, she is at the point now that she doesn't like the smell of them, but sometimes that tail going through the woods is a little too much, but she doesn't stay hooked up long on them now. I have tried to do it gentle so as not to break her from running. What part of the state are you from Perk?
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:49 pm

It is really pretty hard here to find a fox, unless you know where to look. Reds are pretty much only right in town, coyotes keep them run out of everywhere else. I can still find greys out where you can run them, but it has to be rough and rocky with a lot of holes, which doesn't make for the best running, but it's better than nothing.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Andy, I live about halfway between Charlottesville and Richmond. I know Mr. Boggs, he lives about 50 miles west of me.one the nicest fellows I know. I've got a little of his breeding in a hound or two. Running those greys the thicker the better. Glad to have ya on the site. If you ever get east of Afton mountain stop on by and we can talk some dogs.
Perk
EGO is not your AMIGO
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Thanks, I don't get any closer toward Richmond than I can help, but if I'm out that way I will look you up. Glad to be on the site, I have lurked around for a year or two. On these grey fox, I read on here about the boys out west making them climb a tree. Does that happen often on this side of the country?

On the running dogs, seems like I always heard a lot of things that weren't really true. Everybody around here fox hunted back in the day. If they came across a deer, they ran that sucker and put him in the pot. After WWII it seemed like a lot of people went to the coonhounds, and as woven wire fences, roads that you could go fast enough to run over a dog, and deer became more common (and laws protecting them), people quit fox hunting. Now they have this thing called a Garmin, if they would have had those, they would have probably kept on, but there might not be any fox left. So the fox dogs ended up being deer dogs, on the side of the state you could hunt with them. Growing up, (I'm a early 70s model) people kind of looked down on "deer dogs", as being inferior to the coonhounds. I was always under the impression that they were dumb, crazy, or whatever, don't take much to run a deer, etc. Of course, I was around coon and bear hunters mostly, and not deer hunters that knew that a good many of the tree hounds didn't have good enough feet and legs to deer hunt all week.

I couldn't be more happy with this little dog, and the pup too. I had cur dogs for a while, these things handle better than my curs did. My older dog is a little funny about just who exactly is able to reach her collar, but other than that handles like a pet farm dog. Wind her up and let her go, listen to a race, if the race quits blow on the horn and go someplace else or go home. If you have to drive around to pick her up you can, but you can also just wait, she will be wherever you turned her out, eventually. So many of these old coon dogs I used to hunt with, if they got out somewhere and got lost, or ran something they weren't supposed to, or just blew up a track, they would come out at somebodies house, where another dog was barking, or somebody else hunting. Homing is an important thing and all but lost in a lot of hounds.

Anyway, I am having fun, and I've got an old horn to blow on that was in the hands of an old fox hunter and I'm still blowing it in the same hills and hollers that he did, running a fox, or maybe one of those new fangled long legged foxes, but it feels good and it feels right.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Andyva, do you know the pedigree on the pup you got from Cecil Boggs? I have a m/f pair of littermates that I got from Cecil. I am trying to get contact information from others who have some of the same blood for possible breedings in the future.

Tex
=2
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:09 am

I've got an April 1 2015 pup out of Sawmill Run Mark 10 and Sawmill Run Heidi. My June 7 2016 pup, also female is out of Sawmill Run Brew II and Sawmill Run Red Gypsy. When I went to pick up my first pup there were a couple blue pups in that litter that were heading out west somewhere.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:22 am

Mine are out of, Sawmill Run Lizzie, and by, Sawmill Run RN Blue Eyed Rebel who is by Sawmill Run Mark X. Apparently Cecil used the name, Mark, quite a bit in his breeding. I see several dogs on my dogs' pedigree with the name, Mark.

Tex
=2
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:36 am

Andy, I just raised a litter out of that sawmill run Hiedi gyp of cecils and a half trigg of mine. Borrowed her and bred her to a male I had out of one of his older brood gyps from the past. I'm glad to hear yours is doing good off her, I have high hopes for the one I kept I raised off her, she's about 20 wks old, got a buddy up north who is highly pleased with the 2 he got out the cross, running rabbits and treeing squirrels in the yard already.
Occasionally Fox climb over here, 99% will go in a hole instead, seems it takes a lot of pressure to make one climb here, except young foxes, they will shoot up trees if you pressure them some, 4 climbed on me this year none treed last year, all were younger foxes, have seen grown foxes up trees too, they will climb
EGO is not your AMIGO
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:37 am

Well ya!........ its a great name!!!!! Lmao
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:41 am

Bar bar, the hound yo u wanna see a lot in that pedigree would be 'sawmill run rebel'. Cecil will sing his praises all day, probably the dog he talks about most besides the first dog he had with any trigg breeding old Trump. Rebel goes back to a dog called tallyho rebel who was raised by Ralph haizlep in Kentucky and studded out a lot back in prob 70s. My half trigg's dam showed several crosses of sawmill run rebel in 4 generations. She was pretty tightly bred
EGO is not your AMIGO
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:49 am

Cecil told me that the word, Mark, was a hillbilly word meaning, "couldn't catch a cold". LOL.

Perk, I just went I just went and looked again, the pups I have are out of a different line than the Rebel dog. If I understood him correctly, he has about three different lines with each one doing well in different areas. I wonder if we shouldn't start a thread specifically for the discussion of these Boggs hounds. Cecil is supposed to be putting a list together for me of people who have some of the same lines as I do. He is getting on up there in years and I knowit is very important to him that the Sawmill Run lines continue on.

Tex
=2

Return to “Running Dogs”