The New 7th Coonhound Breed:

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 am

I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:12 am

I think its great that we have a new breed to the hound category.
Welcome!
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
Buddyw
Site Admin
Site Admin
Facebook ID: 100000011567041

Postby Buddyw » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Buddyw

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:17 pm

I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Nora Cook
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nora Cook » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Nora L Cook

Take the youth hunting, they are the future of our sport.
Travis Stirek
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Travis Stirek » Tue May 06, 2008 11:40 pm

The reason I hunt this blood is a quote a friend gave me,"Your either making dust or your eating it."
coondogger80
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby coondogger80 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:30 pm

hey, that's great news! I've quite often heard that a leopard dog is very different from any other breed of cur. After reading these several post's I now understand why!

I talked to a lepard man just the other week down in georgia, he offered me one of his pups just $200. Never had a lepard. Don't have one just yet either, but their definitly in my future plans
Cliff Ruppert

careful what you say bout a coonhunters wife, but you be darn careful what you say bout a coonhunters dog!
1hogwild
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 1hogwild » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:02 pm

Any Breeders or pups in California?
US Army Retired
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Fred Moyer
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: The New 7th Coonhound Breed:

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:00 pm

I am happy about this and I have always felt this line of dogs should be classified with the hounds . The style of hunting they posess is more in line with hound traits that that of the bulk of the cur breeds. I think they all have their place but I am happy to see this but I want them to hang on to the traits that made this BREED registerable thru numbers, and not slip intot he competition model so many others have.

Keep the cold nosed leopards for bobcat and big game hunters.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
sow flat slim
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby sow flat slim » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:30 pm

The leopards that I run are always being evaluated for their nose from the time that they are started. These dogs are run on bobcat, bear, grey fox and lion. Here where I hunt, you have to take the tracks as they come, and if you dont have a dog with a decent nose, well you just arent going to do much. Dont run coon with them as there are hardly any coon what so ever. I try to start my pups on bobcat as this will tell me alot about their style and their determination and nose. Randy and I have the same line of dogs and we do some breeding between our dogs always looking for the nose, grit, smarts, determination, and the way they handle a track whether it be hot or cold, and I also look for a dog that wants to please me, which makes handling so much easier. I guess everybody tho is looking for the same things :D I also believe that there is going to be two very differant types of Leopards as time goes by,( and I wont go into that discussion at this time) We hunt all extremes of the weather, dry baked ground to frozen snow and everyting in between. These dogs suit me well and I dont feel under gunned with these dogs(being called curs and some thinking that they are inferior to hounds) Well I have rambled enough. This line of McDuffie breeding that we are hunting and breeding have what it takes for big game and bobcat dogs, and no they are not perfect and all dont make it, but like most everyone we are breeding for better dogs for the game we hunt.
Doogie
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Doogie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:45 pm

oh come on sow flat why not, its been awhile since we've had that discussion lol
I ride the Leopard Cur short bus
lepcur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lepcur » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Good post Nick, I'd say that (without bragging too much on these Leps.) this strain of dogs we hunt here in Ca. are the best suited for me and a pleasure to hunt.

Mike L. I think you know a good friend of mine out here Steve G. I remember back when he was about 18 and lived about 5-6 hours south of here every friday night he would head up to bear hunt and try to leave on sunday to make it back home, he did that for a couple years then moved up here and finished collage staying with myself and another good friend, man we had some good times. After he got his job as a trapper he quit bear and just started cat hunting. We usuall still try to get together once in a while and b.s. and brand dogs. Have a good1 guys, Mike
I hunt the Leopard spotted bear dogs
http://bearmtnguideservice.webs.com/
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:52 pm

I know this is an OLD post, but would love to have a civil discussion, if possible. So it's been 2.5 years or so since the UKC elected to open registration up for the Leopard Cur to become the 7th coonhound breed. What has been the positives to the owners and to the breed if any and what have been the negatives? Have they competed as well as folks had hoped in the UKC night hunts? Have they truely been accepted by the hound community as hounds? 2.5 years into it was it good for UKC? For the Breed? For the Breeders? For the average joe? What's everyones thoughts? Thanks!!
Fred Moyer
Doogie
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Doogie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:08 pm

I ride the Leopard Cur short bus

Return to “Cur Dogs”