Starting an older Dog question

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
Muleskinner9
Facebook ID: 0

Starting an older Dog question

Postby Muleskinner9 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:50 pm

I have found a GYP in the breeding line I would like to start to cross with my male. Question is she's 15 months and never seen the woods. Never started, I can justify her, if I can get her to start. Reason she hasn't is an older fella has her and his wife has had some health issues, so he hasn't had time, Would you try a 15 month old? Timing is good since our spring training season is just starting for bear. Would you try her?
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Starting an older Dog question

Postby GVBEAR » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:26 pm

Yes, from my readings and experience I would not see a issue. I have saw dogs start as early as 6 month and as late as 2 years. Which from research and readings it is all preference on when to start dogs on any given species of animal. I prefer to start mine earlier but that is preference. I would give it a shot. 15 months isn't that old.
Muleskinner9

Postby Muleskinner9 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:04 pm

Thank you Sir. I believe I'll give her a shot. Fingers crossed.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:45 pm

I knew a old fox hunter at wouldn't start his dogs till 18 months old.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:40 am

Mule skinner I have a dog that I just got. He’s a 2 year old and the guy that bred the litter gave him away before he ever did any training with him. The guy that got him said he couldn’t get him to hit a lick at a snake. I knew how the dog was bred and knew what caliber of dogs his parents were so I got him. The first hog I showed him he bayed at. On day 3 of showing him a hog he was excited and intense about it. Last Friday we bayed a sounder and when they busted he left on his own hog and caught it about 500+ yards later. It was only 50 or 60 pounds but it’s rapid progress. If they have “it”, it will surface usually. Obviously there are other variables that can factor in but in your case I’d say your gonna be fine if she has it in her. It’s my opinion of course. Good luck and let us know how she does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Cur Dogs”