Coonhound heeler cross for bear?

Talk about Bear Hunting
Beardawgs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Coonhound heeler cross for bear?

Postby Beardawgs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:06 pm

I have a labxheeler bitch thats a year and a half old and 35lbs. She got ahold of a critter in the back yard and was more gritty than any coonhound I've seen, so that got me thinking. From what I know of heelers they are pretty gritty, and just all around mean, but quick as well. Would that cross make a good bay dog? Small, quick and gritty...
Wide Open!

North Idaho Big Game Hounds
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Coonhound heeler cross for bear?

Postby pegleg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:01 pm

I had several heeled cross dogs at one time. They can be gritty but can also be less so. The intelligence and handling go up in most and mine made good cat dogs what some lacked in nose they made up for in not loosing many once started and all where better then average finding cats in the rock's. One absolutely refused to run bear after a incident but one would kill about any small furbearer it could catch on the ground and was good at it. If you are willing to find the right dogs and wade through a litter of pups you might get what you want. Or find someone that already has it.
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002530954394

Postby stevemac » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:53 am

heeler cross are common here in Australia mostly as pig dogs EBTx cattle , cattle x boxer are very common. A good mate of mine bred pure cattle dogs and hunted them every day of the week on hare, fox and pigs they could hunt well and find their game. On the pigs they were arse end dogs and would have him sat down quick. The hares if they found them in its set it was history anything else they were just dreaming fox were shut down vrey quick but they rally didnt have the speed for them. back in the early 1900s there was an Australian big game hunter that would take his cattle dogs to Africa and use the to find and bay african lions he would bring them home again so they must have gone alright. the blue heeler or red heeler or cattle dog what ever you like to call them is a very versatile dog pure bred or xed
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Breed her to a good bear dog and find out. You might be pleasantly surprised.
tigger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby tigger » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:24 pm

This red heeler is 11 years old and has hunted with my hounds his whole life. He can trail and catch night old lion tracks and is all about a bear that wants to walk. Then he has also been with me while filling deer and elk tags, have called in bulls with him sitting right by me. Gonna miss him when it's his time.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-12-20-15-16-31.png
Pepper
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:12 pm

tigger,

That's really cool. Take care of the old man and hunt him til he goes.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:01 pm

No need to reinvent the wheel just find the right hounds. Just my opinion.
Hunt hard cull hard !
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Years ago when I was living in Vernal, Utah there was a Govt. Hunter living there, but I can't remember his name right off the top of my head. This guy hunted alone just had one of those Govt. pickups with a single mule box on it with his dog boxes on the side.

there was a lot of bear livestock problems in those areas back then, and this guy was hard on those problem bears. I went over to his place one day and he only had a couple of hound tied out, one big leggy plott male and a big block headed redbone male.

I said those must be some bad to the bone bear dogs to catch all those bears by themselves? He said, oh no I have my secret weapons, and he whistled and out ran three medium sized Queensland Blue Heelers. He said this is the real bite in this pack, those strike dogs get them lined out and these blue bullets land on them like a swarm of bees and they stop or go up a tree, easy as that. He said one of them was so good that he could catch a fresh one with him alone a lot of the time cuz he would run the track head up right off the kill.

He also did some lion work and said they made every lion tree, and he wouldn't leave home without them.

So like it was said, if it works, go with it !
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:42 pm

https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/51540024

Here’s a link to some black and tan healer cross puppies! Someone give it a try :wink:
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:54 am

Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:57 am

I’ve seen some heeled crosses that were a bad running hogs worst nightmare especially if he ever stopped to fight them and tried to run again, they weren’t much in the nose, range, and bottom but made up for it in their bay and stopping power, I can’t give an honest answer or cite any bear hunting experience but have seen enough elsewhere to convince it would definitely be worth the shot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:00 am

tigger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby tigger » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:33 pm

You bet, he's feeling his age now and just walks with me until he knows it's getting good then he will look at me like you know what's going on down there, and then off he goes. Lost him this year for 4 days. Was running a bobcat that took us off into some nasty cliffs and boulder pile and the hounds would put the heat on that bobber then make a 10 minute loss then off again. I had finally had enough of this so was making a big loop to cut off the dogs. I had just about got to them and was above them just watching the mess went to take a step and about stepped on that bobcat. He went shooting down the hill with that heeler right on him and off again, the next time I caught up I shut it down and we headed out. That old Pepper never did show up by the time we got to the truck. Long story short 4 days later he was sitting on the porch.
tigger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby tigger » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:37 pm

4 days later, I love a dog with a brain
Attachments
KIMG0181.JPG
Tried old Pepper
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth