Bear leading dogs to porky pine

Talk about Bear Hunting
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Bear leading dogs to porky pine

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:06 am

Dirtdodge asked a good question early on. Were you hunting the same area? Could it have been the same bear?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:20 am

I kinda doubt that animals lead dogs to other animal trying to get them confused. My daddy always thought they did but I couldn’t come to believe that. I run a good bit in tha same places and probably run the same animal sometimes and after a while animals learn where the best place is to lose a dog. In my area it any low place about knee deep in mud and water.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Back in the 70's a couple of my high school friends and I treed a big bobcat right on the side of the road. I made a bad shot and the cat came out running.He didn't go far and Old Rock and Jack put him under a log.There was one Hell of a fight going on when we got there. This was at night by the way.I laid on the ground to shine my light in under the log and sure enough that cat was more than holding his own.Thats when I saw he had a little help. Jack was laying right on top of a big fat porcupine but paying it no mind as he fought the cat. I finally managed to shoot the cat without hitting a dog.We got the cat and dogs out and I've never seen so many quills in a dog before or since..Jack literally had hundreds of quills in him from stem to stern.I got a veterinarian out of bed to pull the quills.Jack survived but had a few quills coming out of him for months later.
My guess was that porky had taken up residence in one of the cats dens.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Bear hounder » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:25 am

Hey sorry I been slacking on getting back to you guys we hunt different places and have had I'm sure one bear that was doing this more than once . But ive seen it happen with different hounds in different places the one place is 2hrs away from our house that was the place we're we found the bear in the den there is a lot to be understood about the animals we Chase I'm hunting moose this week with the same dogs and have had 0 proplems with porky pines I loved the story about the porky pine in the cat den it made a good point when you said that the porky pine was in the cats den that make more sense then a bear leading the dogs to a porky pine maybe the porky pines are moving into the bears normal hide outs . But that does not explain when bears tree in a tree that has a porky pine in it I've seen this once and I've talked to 4 or 5 bear hunters now that say oh ya we see bears in the tree with a porky quit often and I find it amazing that these animals are great at what they do

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “Bear Hunting”