Track size

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Track size

Postby Tanner Peyton » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:17 pm

I know you can get small lions with big feet and big lions with small feet. But in general, what size of track do you guys look for on your middle to upper class male lions? I don't have a lot of experience with lions and I know there a lot of experience here on this forum.

Thanks
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Track size

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:29 am

Lion tracks are always exciting to the lion hunter or really any student of nature. When you look down and see the tracks of a feline that is so cryptic yet large enough in full form to kill a bull elk of moose not to mention a man if it wished it does something to you. Maybe it is the feeling that even in this busy ultra modern hustle bustle world, just below the surface , and maybe on that distant hill you can see from your high rise apartment, the American Lion is still waiting there.

Track size? always take in to account the type of surface you have where you observe the track, an average 3 1/2" tom track can spread out to look like a whopper in loose dirt, mud or snow. So keep this in mind and remember we are going by the pad size not the size of a hole the lion's foot and leg make poking a home. Look at that pad , see it clearly, make sure you are not seeing the superimposed rear track stepping into it slightly off and making it look bigger than it really is. Look at you own tracks how deep are you sinking? Although some say lions walk softly on their feet, they do not. They have soft pliable pads but they feel with their feet and step solidly on the ground hence the beautiful fully pressed smooth tracks in suitable conditions, pop out at you.
Look at the heal pad and it's relationship to the size of the toes. the toes will tell you a story after a few years of tracking lions, but that is for you to learn and by looking and tracking is the only way you can truly know it, somebody can tell you but you will second guess yourself a bunch until you really get it on your own.

Strip the track down to what it would truly look like crossing your kitchen table with a light dusting of flour on it. Then measure that width and length, approaching 4" get very interested, look at the toes, are they large? Maybe over 4" , get to trailing, and if you get on one that is truly a mongo up around that 5" mark, I hope you packed a lunch because you are going to want to see what's attached to that foot.

Good luck!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:34 pm

That is some great writing Mike. It makes me want to be a lion hunter (from here in my high rise apartment). If it is not in your book yet, it should be.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:42 pm

I'd like to see that high rise in North Dakota. LOL!

Probably be able to Canada from there!

Go chase some of them longtails in the badlands!
MIKE LEONARD
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Yeah Mike, you really are a talented writer. I know that you're a busy fella and time is probably not a luxury you have. But I sure would enjoy reading a collection of your stories. Anyhow, to the above post. The reason I ask is because for the first time since 2012 Nebraska is having a lion season. It's a lottery drawing that's going to allow 4 males or 2 femal lions per unit while allocating 600 tags per unit. Once the 4 or 2 quota is met the season shuts down. The kicker here is no dogs allowed unless the quota doesn't get meet. So with out a dog I'm gonna have an awful lot of time wrapped up doing the tracking myself. So I don't wanna pass up a track that might be good one or spend a few days closing the distance on a small female. I thank you for some really good info.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm

The heel (plantar) pad size is a very good indicator. If wider than 2" it's probably a tom.
2 1/4" and I'd bet on it. But as Mike said "clear".
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Another good indicator is stride length. Variables with up or down hill vs flatter terrain and I'd just walking or starting to trot. Generally over 40" stride of walking lion would be a tom on flatter terrain. Stride being one side of the cat. So will have a track between the two your measuring.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Great input RockyTrails!

Tanner, I don't know much about where the lions are in the Cornhusker State, but I use to deer hunt a good bit in the breaks of the North Platte in Keith County, and those rough breaks running down into those ash draws and field looked good.
MIKE LEONARD
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Where at Mike? I grew up 30 miles west of where you speak of in Ovid Colorado. My grand parents had a bait shop on lake mcconaughy. And I used to chase the hell out of bobcats over that way some. And I may or may not of had a hound or two that weren't lion broke that may or may not have bayed a few lions before I got them corrected. But anyhow, if I draw the area I will hunt will be up by Chadron NE. An area I'm very familiar with and close by. Again, I used to chase bobcats a lot up that way.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:05 am

Llewellyn and Oshkosh and up on Blue Creek. Love that country and I am sure I was in the bait shop more than a few times. Seems like a remember a monster Northern mounted on the wall. Been a long time now but I also caught a lot of big coon in that country.

Yes I see the hunt is on the North and South Pine Ridge Units. Been thru there but never hunted , should be a fun deal, and hope you get to run your dogs.
MIKE LEONARD
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Yep, grandad had a house on the river outside of Lewellan and I met my now wife over in Oshkosh. I don't have dogs anymore, I wish I did but I just don't have the space for any yet. And you're right about the coons. I caught hundreds of coons up that way some in the upper 30 lb range and I even jumped a few short tails, but never got any stopped.

Anyhow I thank you and rocky trails for your input. This helps me a tun.
JustinKeller
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JustinKeller » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:19 pm

We go by stride length as the snow is often deep and the consistency of sugar. If its more than 50 inches its a wolf unless its a trottiing lion. 40+ on flat ground in 4 inches of snowis a tom
I once turned out on a 46 in stride in. 34 inches of snow and turned up with an 80lb female. I was so sure there was a tom around I stomped it out on foot. She must have been trotting in the deep stuff, when stepped onto a road she had a stride of 35 inches. Even fooled veteran lion guide. Look at every aspect of the track. And when u get it caught take another look. Lions seem to move in a sort of group. Nothing in 3 canyons and 2 or 3 in the next, dogs get on a different track or the lion is not as big as the foot. Good luck

Return to “Lion Hunting”