New litter

Talk about Hog hunting
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

New litter

Postby lawdawgharris » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:22 am

Hey folks, just wanted to share my newest litter of bulldog puppies with you. For those of you that don't know me, I've been at this for about 30 years with my own dogs. I've been raising and trying to establish my own family of find dogs and catch dogs for 20+. This family of Bulldogs were registered APBT when I started. It is well known though that one dog in my pedigree was an American bulldog and pit cross. He was created for pulling and held the world record at one time. I breed for several traits and I'm not sure that one supersedes the next. It makes it extremely hard. I like bigger catch dogs, the line backer types not the Sumo types. I want athleticism, leg, wind, brains, disposition, and size. I like 2 bulldogs but I use to hunt alone a lot. That meant one catch dog so I wanted something that could do the job right and alone no matter what I aimed it at. I wanted something that could take the punishment and get leverage. The smaller dogs had just as much heart just weren't enough on good hogs. The hog either moved around too much even with them caught or they took entirely too much punishment themselves. This female is my ideal physical type. She's about 75 pounds and extremely athletic. She isn't short on brains either. The male to the pups is between 95 and 102 pounds depending on the time of year. Believe me when I say he's catty as he can be. I have really high hopes for these pups. One female really grabs me just because she is marked like her great great grandfather. I hope that she is like him in every way possible. I will pick when they get older but I have a close eye on her. Her grandfather could catch a train and had brains and athleticism to spare. He was kept loose in the chicken yard and you never had to worry about him killing one. He did kill 2 chicken hawks and tore into the pigeon pen one night and killed an owl. He was outstanding and was most certainly not the only one like that out of what I've raised but more the norm. Anyway, here are my newest pot lickers. The dog standing in the water is a half brother to the female. He's 1 1/2 years old and was 87 pounds last I weighed him. He is not the father of these pups but very similar to what I think these pups will be.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
WalkerCurCat
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: New litter

Postby WalkerCurCat » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:51 pm

LawDawg NICE put together dogs! Obviously an old post but cool to see. If I had to guess I would say u are referencing the Chevy RED Dog. That's right around the time ADBA started recognizing non box dogs. Beautiful dogs brother.

Enjoy your New Years

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:07 pm

Lol yeah that was an old post. Chevy was a good guess but it was Bettes’ Big Head. This dog was actually used on hogs as well as pulling. He was 88lbs when he set the record and was a pretty impressive animal at that weight. John Bettes lived in Oklahoma and was a hog hunter too. Big Head and the Eddington bred dogs, which is what Chevy was, were created to compete with each other. There was also a kennel in California that raised huge, visually impressive dogs called Dagger Kennel. I hunted with several out of each of these lines. The Big head dogs were the most athletic and best minded in my opinion. The Dagger dogs were something to look at and as a whole more athletic than the Eddington dogs but lacked prey drive and toughness. The Eddington dogs were way too prone to being double hocked and several of them had bad dispositions. I really liked the big head dogs. They just fit me and my wants.

I hope you have a good new year too. Deer season is pretty much over here so hopefully we’ll be able to get after the hogs pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:17 pm

Lol heart goes a long way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Hog Hunting”