I Want a Mule

Talk about Horses and Mules.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I Want a Mule

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Yep, I want a good mule.
To be perfectly honest though, when it comes to mules, I don't know shit from Shinola. I have a fairly good idea of what I'm looking for, but with my limited knowledge, I may be way off base.

What I want -
John mule
7-12 years old
14-15 hands max
Stout Built
BROKE BROKE BROKE
Good Feet
Stays Broke
Solid Confirmation
Pleasin to the Eye
Ride and Pack
Good around hounds
Broke
Good around blood and able to pack/carry out lion, cat and other hides
Gaited preferably, but not a deal breaker
Broke
I don't want to have to train one.
I want him ready to go.
Did I mention, I want him BROKE ?

I am starting to look now and hope to get one this fall. I have to wait until after we ship calves before I can buy one, but I would like to get a good one located.

Tex
=2
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: I Want a Mule

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 am

If you are ever on fake book lol face book look up mules of New Mexico they usually have some for sale on there .. Also I think Missy Holms has a few for sale from time to time..

Just make sure you get a good BROKE one lol
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for the reply, Brett. I was actually hoping you would chime in. I've seen in your videos that you ride mules and I would like to hear from the guys who hunt off them. My experience is strictly with ranch horses and sometimes I question the logic and sanity of riding a half broke knothead after a pack of hollerin' hounds.

I'm not on 'fakebook' and don't want a mule bad enough to make an account. Looking around here though, I did see a post by, Missy, so I gave her a call lastnight and left a message. At this point, I am trying to do a little research and gain a little knowledge. Once we ship the calves in October I will then be ready to buy one, provided the market hasn't gone completely to hell on us.

What are some things I should keep in mind, or look out for, when buying a mule?

Tex
=2
huntinwyo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby huntinwyo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:07 pm

Tex if you find a buy one get the second one free I'll split the cost with ya! Lol! The only thing is its gotta be broke! I didn't see that in your criteria.
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:04 am

Ty Evans in Utah has them for sale often. Straightforward honest guy. Website tsmules.com
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby pegleg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:15 am

Go ride the mule. That's about the only way I'll consider buying a mule. Most mules I've been comfortable to offer money on I've actually ridden for awhile They aren't horses and if you don't like your mule or it don't like you happiness is unlikely. I'm not to picky on size I have ridden some smaller burro bred mules that will work anything into the ground. But a nice solid riding mule makes you feel a bit better. But three things are important. 1 it likes you and is generally friendly. 2 . its smart. Not evil smart. 3. Its sound and tuff. After that most things fall into place.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:31 am

To elaborate on friendly . I was out of riding stock and there's a five or six year old burro they keep to breed mares. It he's so friendly he is a nuisance most of the time as in peeking in the door following you around. Anyway the other horses were pastures four solid mtn miles away. I decided he might let me haul my saddle and stuff on him. He was so gentle I had no problems so long as I scratched him while I saddled him up. He doesn't lead for shit but will follow you. I snuck in the saddle about half a mile down the trail and he took a couple unauthorized detours but we made it unscathed. The rounding up horses was a bit interesting but he did it and I only helped by running the stud off a little. He would probably make someone a good mount if they were smaller or not worried about their stirrups dragging. On the other hand there's a mule that plain dislikes everyone and has to be watched every second even though he's been " broke" for years. I don't know anything about his breeding but he's white spotted and sour and mean. I'd rather ride the Jack at least he's cheerfully disobedient.
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:06 am

The other thing you have to watch for mules are different than horses as far as they think before they act that's where the stubbornness idea comes from. you can lead a horse through just about anything you want you have to let the mule think its his idea. Like was stated above if they don't like you you're in for a real rude awakening
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:44 am

I hunt by myself 95% of the time so have to have one that is sure enough reliable .. I would suggest finding one over 10 years old that has been used good and exposed to everything..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Fireman03
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Fireman03 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:14 am

Go with a Moscow. ......save you a lot of money and headache.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:29 am

http://www.mulesandmore.com/classifieds.html

It's three Tennesee Walker mules in MT.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:50 am

=2
Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rshcwisdom » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:58 am

I googled it because I didn't know either. A Moscow mule is a mixed drink with vodka and some other stuff.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:38 am

MULES

For Sale: Tennessee Walker mules; 2 johns, 1 molly. 15-16+ hands. 21-23 years old. Ride, drive and pack. Professionally trained. Health forces sale. Lots of trail/mountain experience, settled. $2,500. Also, custom made Fred Hook saddles, and other tack. NW Montana (406)885-3444 8/16
Fireman03
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Fireman03 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm

I knew you were a hillbilly but shit tex......see below

A Moscow Mule, also known as a Vodka buck, is a cocktail made with vodka, spicy ginger beer, and lime juice, garnished with a slice or wedge of lime. It is usually served in a copper mug. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: 4 oz Ginger beer, 1 1/2 oz Vodka, 1/6 oz Lime juice
Preparation: Combine vodka and ginger beer in a copper mug or highball glass filled with ice. Add lime juice. Stir gently and garnish with a lime slice.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice.
Drinkware: Copper mug or highball glass

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”