air in the box

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
got plott
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

air in the box

Postby got plott » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:23 am

just put together a full bed dog box for summer. the sides set 6inch off the top of the bed making it a total of 30inch tall by full width an 7foot long. right now I got the sides open but would like to use year round. how many holes do I need per side to let there be the air they need for a pack of 5.? an far as bedding straw or wood chips or both? just want to give um as much as they give me. THANKS.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: air in the box

Postby 1bludawg » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:03 pm

I want enough holes in the box so that ALL the dogs you're hauling can get their heads out .It seems like most of us put 3 holes per side in a box 4 ft. long .
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 am

Why not leave the sides open & make some plywood flaps that can be added in the cold weather that cover about half of that six inch opening. Be careful dogs can heat up even in the cold winter, those flaps used on cold mornings, then taken off as temps rise. Just something I did to my wooden boxes, dogs loved hanging their heads out & some became box dogs by hauling them that way. White cedar shavings best bedding I have found. Al
got plott
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby got plott » Fri May 02, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks. that's what I was kind of thinking of doing. an a hole for each dog.an would you have the same size hole for summer an winter or should I make the winter ones smaller?
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Fri May 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Same size, most likely the dogs will want to hang their heads out just as much in the winter as summer. If they don't want to, they won't. Choice is theirs.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby 1bludawg » Fri May 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Some guys will fix their box so they can partially and temporarily block the holes for driving through town or whatever.

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”