need winter dog box ideas?

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
moose
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

need winter dog box ideas?

Postby moose » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 pm

i need to build a new wood winter dog box. i need some good ideas from u all. pics would be great too. thanks. have a good one.

john
Sask_matty
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 583510057

Re: need winter dog box ideas?

Postby Sask_matty » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:49 pm

John,

I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and we often get -40 degree weather. My box is simply made out of a 2X4 frame, 1/2 inch plywood that is sealed around all the edges, and then I have 2" of blue Styrofoam on the inside. The box is 4' X 4' X 30" tall. It fits between the wheel wells on my F150. The door is 18" wide and 24" tall and non-insulated, as well I cut 9" X 9" holes (2 each side) so that the dogs can hang their heads out the side. I also have some plywood covers that I can slip over the holes to seal the box up tighter when it does get very cold. On the inside of the box I found this foil wrap (much like you would for taping furnace ducts) and I lined the roof with that, and the box is painted white. I also throw some straw in the box so that they can bed down and not be too harsh on the Styrofoam floor. I track the temperature of the box, just to keep an eye on how it has been working. When it is -40 or -30, and you toss 2 dogs into the box, with the rig holes cracked (1-2"), the box heats up to about +10 to +20 F and will sit there. In fact it heats up faster than the cab of the truck does. Keeping some air movement through the rig holes being cracked open seems to keep the humidity low (~5% change from no dogs to dogs + 2 hours). This is my first summer with the box, and this foil seems to keep out the UV radiation such that when it is 90F outside, the cab of the truck will easily be 100-105F, while the dog box will stay ~70-75F. I open up the rig holes so that there is as much air movement through the box, and after driving the box will heat up to outside temperatures due to air movement, however if you leave the dogs in the box over night it stays very cool. I can post some pictures later if your interested.
moose
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: need winter dog box ideas?

Postby moose » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:34 pm

thanks for the idea sask_matty.

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”