Restart and introduction

Tell us a little about you and your hounds.
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Restart and introduction

Postby Nufo » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Mike. I am not new to the site (Joined back in 2010). But I mostly lurk and soak up knowledge from your posts and do lots of searching from old post. Man there is some serious knowledge from the past on here. Anyway, I started hunting patterdale X dogs about 12 or so years ago. Took a break from that for a while and then decided to get back in to running game with dogs about a year and a half ago.

I decided I would go a slightly different route this time and picked up a big game breed mountain cur. I figured I would start her on Coons and maybe do some decoying for coyotes and even a little quail hunting. My Eventual goal is to run cats in Nevada.

As soon as I got her home, I got her going with the basic handling skills and did lots of hide and seek (Drags) with a pheasant wing. She really picked everything up quick and has been easy to train.

When she was about 4 months old, I started taking her with me on a few coyote stands. One day while I was out, I ran into a place where a field trial was going on. I came back the next day and hooked up with some guys who run their dogs on coon and Fox. My dog really likes running fox and that has become our main focus.

Right now my Mountain cur is about a year and a half. She is striking and running fox fairly well but has yet to get one treed on her own. The country I hunt most has some thick berry brush and highly pressured fox so its been a bit of a challenge. She is still getting better each time out so I am happy with her progress.

Late summer I ended up getting gifted another patterdale X down from the same lines as my old dog (He was a really good and rough coon dog). She was 4 years old and had not been on any game. My buddy gifted her to me to try out and see if I could get her going. She has only been on a few coons so far but is hunting and pushing out like my cur. She honors other dogs and will strike her own track and get gone. Her only negative is that she is dead silent (some times she will pick up a track and be out 400-500 yards on her own). However I think she might be catching on from my cur and the hounds I hunt with as she is starting to bark a little.

Any thanks for reading. I am having a lot of fun getting these dogs going and love seeing them make progress. I really wish we could post pictures on here. It would make sharing my hunts and stories a lot more convenient and would probably get more people sharing as well

Mike

Return to “Introduce Yourself”