Utah DNR will not adjust Lion & Bear Quota's

Magnet

Utah DNR will not adjust Lion & Bear Quota's

Postby Magnet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Lion Committee News July 13th 2012

I met with John Shivik at the DWR this week to discuss the upcoming RAC meetings and to find out what was on the agenda for the Cougar and Bobcat Guide Book changes. He said that because we are only on the second year of the three year plan that the DWR was only going to recommend adjusting the dates to make the hunt start dates align with the same days of the week as they did this year. I asked him about the possibility of changing any of the quota numbers before the end of the three years, he said that the only way the Wildlife Board would change any numbers would be if the Director requested an emergency adjustment and that they don’t intend to do that.
We have discussed our options as a Board and have decided that the best thing we can do is to continue on the course we are on. We feel that the chances of getting the Wildlife Board to go outside of the Cougar Management Plan this year are pretty slim.
We will continue to hold community meetings this fall and early winter, and continue our efforts to reach every houndsmen in the state. We as a group are in a very unique position to manage the cougar population ourselves, if we aren’t catching and killing them with our hounds they aren’t getting killed.
I will attend as many RAC meetings as I can and would encourage everyone to do the same.
Please continue to spread the word, we must stop killing the females. One thing that John said which was very encouraging to me was that as a biologist he looks at a female sub-quota as a protective mechanism to stop the harvest before it is unrecoverable and that he would like to see us stop harvesting females as well. He committed to work on revising the Cougar Orientation material to include information on how female survival drives the population and how important it is to preserve them. I’m not sure if the Wildlife Board looks at it the same way but I was glad to hear that from him. We also talked about making a video presentation on cougar identification, if you have any video that we could use for this please let me know.
Thanks to everyone who contacted me with suggestions and concerns, I discussed every one of them with John, although the RAC’s and the Wildlife Board may not be receptive to them at this time we will continue to discuss and present them to anyone who will listen.

Respectfully

Dan Cockayne
Lion Coordinator
black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Utah DNR will not adjust Lion & Bear Quota's

Postby black eye » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:27 am

Thanks Dan,
For following thru and doing what you say. It is our future and our sport.

The deer are not responding or recovering. Hopefully we can see good things in the future!!

Thanks again
If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent
$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org
bears@uha
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bears@uha » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 am

Dan thanks for going to the rac meetings sounds like the wild life board is going to put us on the agenda to discuss the lions at the board meeting aug 16 thanks to your hard work we may have a chance to save a lion or two also thanks to every one who atended the state meetings and raq meetings.
black eye
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby black eye » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 am

It might be a real short conversation as the wildlife board was the one that ordered the revisions and combied units for lions.

Beware we might be getting our ears tickled again.
If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent
$-sportsmen
F-for
W-wealthy
http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org
bears@uha
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bears@uha » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 pm

At the nov 1st board meeting the board spent about 20 minutes talking about the lions specificaly the manti units the board elected not to make any changes this year but directed John shivik to keep a close eye on these units. John let the board no that he feels theirs a problem combining the sheep units with the other units and he will be recomending some changes. I would like to thank Dan and Jason for keeping a fire lit on this matter.

Return to “Utah”